• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Spin-Offs

Fas

Regular
What kind of Babylon 5 spin off would you feel more excited about? I think JMS once said he had like six ideas for series in the Babylon 5 universe, we know Crusade and Rangers were two of them.

so, im not making the post for people to post their fanfics, just for everyone to speculate on what those ideas might be or what would you like them to be.

I personally would love something centered on telepaths, since I have always been fascinated by them.

What do you think?

I think JMS once said he had like six ideas for series in the Babylon 5 universe, we know Crusade and Rangers were two of them.

When did he say that?

Anyway, I don't think there are any ideas better then Crusade, although it would be cool to see a show about Valen, and the last great Shadow War.

And of course the Telepath war would be interesting, but I'm not sure if that would be a series, that sounds more like a movie to me.

Someone else may remember differently but I seem to remember JMS saying that he had 6 ideas for a spinoff to b5 in which case he has used 2 that lives 4.Where is Joe D when you need him ?

yes, i remember him saying that as well
smile.gif

me, i just want the rest of Crusade - done without tnt lol
smile.gif

I don't know whether you would call it a spin-off but I would like to have seen the next five years when Sheridan and Delenn went to Minbar. That would include what happened to Lyta and G'kar, what happened to Lennier, the Telepath War and it would end with A Call to Arms.

After that I would like to see the rest of Crusade.

I don't consider these ideas fanfic, they are all part of the story. Since the books covered Molari and the Centauri, the PsiCorps and the Telepaths, I don't think I would be very interested in any of those as a series.

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by LightNZ: </font color>
me, i just want the rest of Crusade - done without tnt lol
smile.gif

Same here! After "Crusade," and then "Rangers," going to yet again a different spin-off would be, IMHO, a BAD idea. It would look like "Well, that didn't work, and that didn't work. Let's try this." No, MAKE one of the previous two spinoffs work, and for that I'd definitely pick "Crusade."

What I'd feel most excited about? G'Kar and Lyta on the road, so to speak.
grin.gif

If we're to be more reasonable in our desires though, I'd have liked either Crusade or Rangers to continue. Or both, preferably.

I still would love to see John and Delenn's legecy lived out through David's escapades...with a couple, 5,6 flashbacks prior to SiL.
grin.gif

What I'd feel most excited about? G'Kar and Lyta on the road, so to speak.

I've always wanted to know what happened to those two as they headed out into space.

Crusade would be my first choice however as a spinoff. It's been awhile since I have read the books but I think in one of the set of trilogies there is the briefest mention of Gideon and crew and finding a cure for the Drakh plague. It might have only been a sentence or two long. But I've always been dying to know what happened.

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Glacophane: </font color>
I've always wanted to know what happened to those two as they headed out into space.

Well, we do have the short story "Genius Loci."

Crusade would be my first choice however as a spinoff. It's been awhile since I have read the books but I think in one of the set of trilogies there is the briefest mention of Gideon and crew and finding a cure for the Drakh plague. It might have only been a sentence or two long. But I've always been dying to know what happened.

It was in the Legions of Fire (Centauri Prime) trilogy, probably in book 2. It didn't say how they found the cure. I think it was in a conversation that Londo was having with Vir and was right after one of the "Chronicles." Unfortunately, I didn't make a note on this topic (like I did for the Gideon/Excalibur mention on book 2, page 122).

Thanks KoshN for helping me out with my bad memory. However I haven't read any B5 material except the books. Do you know where I would find the short story? Are they published somewhere or was it just in a magazine?

Thanks KoshN for helping me out with my bad memory.

Well, my memory is hardly stellar on this subject.
blush.gif
I'm really disappointed in myself that I didn't make a note of of where exactly Londo said it in the book. It's going to bug me until I find it. Argh!
mad.gif
(frustrated)

However I haven't read any B5 material except the books. Do you know where I would find the short story? Are they published somewhere or was it just in a magazine?

Seems like I've posted this a million times (Antony, any way you could put this in a FAQ?):

<font color="orange">
B5 Short Stories, Published In, Issue, Comments

The Shadow of His Thoughts, Straczynski, J. M. , Amazing Stories, Summer 1999, Number 597, The Londo Story

Genius Loci, Straczynski, J. M. , Amazing Stories, Winter 2000, Number 599, The Lyta / G'Kar Story

Space, Time, and the Incurable Romantic, Straczynski, J. M. , Amazing Stories, Summer 2000, Number 602, The Marcus / Ivanova Story

Hidden Agendas, Straczynski, J. M. , Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine, May 2000, Number 22, The Ivanova/Warlock Destroyer/Ulkesh's Vorlon Transport/Sheridan/Lyta Story

True Seeker, Avery, Fiona, Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine, July 2000, Number 23, The Narn Story (carries on from episode 17 "Legacies" http://www.midwinter.com/lurk/guide/017.html )

The Nautilus Coil, Keyes, J. Gregory, Babylon 5/Crusade Magazine, August 2000, Number 24, The Garibaldi/Lyta/Psi Corp/Vorlon story. Connects with "Dark Genesis - The Birth of the Psi Corps"
</font color>

They're no longer available. Both magazines have gone under. There was some hope that Del Rey (Contact: Saffel, Steve <SSaffel@randomhouse.com>) might publish a B5 Short Story Anthology, but getting Del Rey to move on something is like trying to prod a donkey into moving. It doesn't want to move even if you stick a lit piece of dynamite up it's ass.
mad.gif

Actually, i'd like to see a mini-series of all of the trilogies made
smile.gif

Might cost a bit in SFX when they get to the technomage one - flying platfroms, oh yeah!! lol

But all three would each make a good mini-series

I doubt any of these would make good spin-offs, but here's what I want to see:

The REALLY early Shadow wars, and the establishment of the Vorlon/Shadow agreement
The Valen story
Sheridan and Garibaldi taking David on the promised trip (from the CP trilogy)

I also love looking ahead to the far future. I always love speculating about what the Humans and Minbari would be like just shy of being able to go to the Vorlon Homeworld, one step down from gods. They would be . . . impressive.

I'd love to see all the short stories - magazine and otherwise - put together into one volume I could buy without scouring eBay.

Other than that:

B5 spin-offs... seriously:
1) A Million Years Ago
2) Crusade
3) The Lyta/G'Kar Show

B5 spin-offs... not-seriously, but amusing:
1) Before He Was Ambassador Mollari
2) After He Was Emperor Vir
3) Kosh: Strip Teases Pre-2259
4) G'Kar's Pleasure Threshold
5) Neroon In Puberty
6) Who's Your Little Pakmara

Regards,

-Tim

It was in the Legions of Fire (Centauri Prime) trilogy, probably in book 2. It didn't say how they found the cure. I think it was in a conversation that Londo was having with Vir and was right after one of the "Chronicles." Unfortunately, I didn't make a note on this topic (like I did for the Gideon/Excalibur mention on book 2, page 122).

uhh, i thought that Londo was rubbing that into Shiv'Kala's face, not talking to Vir about it.

Back