• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Virgin

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yes Indeed I am, I have seen season 1&2 now, and watched the begining, and intend on seeing 'the gathering' tommorrow, and I must say I am shocked awed and immensley addicted to it. The appeal of it is just soo much I need/want to learn as much about it as possible, I used to watch the show when I was younger, intermintently, never fully, and now I can understand better, the show reveals so much more than any other sci-fi.. Its escapism of the highest order, and I cannot escape its grasp :p I have bought season 1&2 and the two movies, But where do I go from here, well besides the obvious aug release of Season 3 (Which I will have to buy, even though the R2 version isnt due to till Nov) So i would have to get it earlier :p on R1.

Interms of books, what are the best, I searched on amazon, and found over 97, now I just want the official ones, what are the best books to buy? a top 20 maybe?. I want to be completely engrossed into this world. I must say this is one of the first series' to ever make me shed a tear, the massacre of the Narn homeworld, with Londo Mallari leading the attack was heart rendering, I am pulled left right and centre.

Thanking you in advance for whatever you may suggest.

I strongly suggest not reading any books untill you have finished the series, it has spoilers for later seasons you haven´t seen (particularly season five).

oh and welcome :) always good to see b5 newbies.

best books:

To Dream In The City Of Sorrows
The Shadow Within
Psi Corps Trilogy
Centuary Trilogy
Technomage Trilogy

Some of them contain spoilers for later seasons, though. There are some other good ones, too, that I can't remember the names of and haven't read. There are also some "bad" ones out that aren't really canon and stray from the "real" story in several places.

Welcome to the B5 universe - you will not regret it! You've got great seasons to come. In terms of books - what are you interested in? Novels, books about the show, episode guides?

I don't know all to much about what's out there, but I've got some suggestions:

Novels: As far as I know there are 9 stand alone novels and three trilogies. Two of the novels are considered to be mostly or fully canon (what happens in the books is what 'really happens') They are book #7 'The Shadow Within' by Jeanne Cavelos and book #9 'To dream in the city of sorrows' by Kathryn M. Drennan (JMS' wife, so she's pretty close to the source :))

I'd suggest waiting until you've seen the third season before reading these two. (because of Spoilers!)
I've read the others, but it's been I while. I don't remember them very well, and I don't remember them being very good either. But maybe somebody else has more on those.

Trilogies: I'd finish watching all seasons and the movies before getting into those. All of them are based on original outlines by JMS, and they're all canon (I think!)

Episode guides: I've got The Babylon File I and II by Andy Lee, and the season guides by Jane Killik for the fist two seasons. I can definatley recommend the Baylon File.
Andy Lee writes in his introduction

This book is lots of things (including big), but primarily it's unauthorised, it's eclectic and it's personal.

You may not always agree with Lane's personal views, but I consider it to be(or better them) a fun, informative and valuable guide to the series, the movies, books, comics...

OMG, :eek: this is the longest post I've ever written. :eek:
Hope I could help you and not only flood you with information ... :)

You lucky bastard! :D

I'd tak a brain-damaging blow to the head to see Babylon 5 for the first time again. It's pathetic how much of a hole this show has left in people's lives. I've been around since the beginning and I've never seen a show affect others (or myself) like this one. Enjoy it while you can, and believe me, the next seasons are going to pull every emotion possible out of you. The best is yet to come.

As I said to Channe (they grow up sooo fast :(), when she was our newbie's link to B5, please post often and let us know what you think.

best books:

To Dream In The City Of Sorrows
The Shadow Within
Psi Corps Trilogy
Centuary Trilogy
Technomage Trilogy

Some of them contain spoilers for later seasons, though. There are some other good ones, too, that I can't remember the names of and haven't read. There are also some "bad" ones out that aren't really canon and stray from the "real" story in several places.

The Centauri Trilogy is definitely out until after you've seen Season 5. Third book of the Telepath Trilogy and third book of the Technomage Trilogy are also out if you've only seen Seasons 1 and 2. I *think* the first two books of those trilogies should be OK....but it's been a while since I read them. Maybe I'm forgetting something.

Have you been reading the Lurker's Guide to Babylon 5 ? Its the best B5 website out there (except this one of course ;) ), especially the episode guides. I liked hearing what the writer had to say about every episode after watching it, it added a whole new dimension to the show.

If you want, head on over to my web site where I list out all the B5 novels with relevant quotes form JMS. Most include my own reviews as well:

http://abyss.hubbe.net/b5/books/index.html

It is hard to recommend novels to someone who hasn't finished the B5 story yet but if you stick to the list Derian gave, you should be set for a while. :)

You lucky bastard! :D

I'd tak a brain-damaging blow to the head to see Babylon 5 for the first time again. It's pathetic how much of a hole this show has left in people's lives. I've been around since the beginning and I've never seen a show affect others (or myself) like this one. Enjoy it while you can, and believe me, the next seasons are going to pull every emotion possible out of you. The best is yet to come.

As I said to Channe (they grow up sooo fast :(), when she was our newbie's link to B5, please post often and let us know what you think.

Oh I intend to post allot in here :D

I extend my gratitude to all of you in welcoming with such kindness. You will be support group when I watch the last episode of B5 :'( I pray to god that day is far away as possible. I have seen season 1 three times, and season 2 fout times. When I am eating, when I am studying, it is always wonderful to hear sinclairs voice in the background. Dilen is also very inspiring. As a matter of fact B5 has been a turning point in my life, untill season 1 came out, and I had got into the show, I was meandering student, who was without purpose, then after watching the 1st season I knew that destiny befalls us all. May sound very cliche and boring, but B5 made me take heade at the parrels it draws with the 'real' world and how much we need to learn from our pasts in order not repeat the future. It made my study that much harder, and made me want to reach that higher grade, as a result of the aim given by this my scores shot up :) I am now going into Politics and law in september, I know it maybe presumptious of me to take a show seriously, but I feel it is a real reflection of the human condition and makes one take notice at we will destroy through ignorance.

Season 2 again has been immensely enjoyable, and tough to watch at points 'The long twilight struggle' was the best in my opinion. It's music somber atmosphere gave me a real desperate empathy with the story and forced home to me the reality of this world and how such a situation is very possible.. G'Kar's speech was emotive and well played. On that note, I'd like to mention the quality of the acting here, the feelings the emotions are so cohesive its hard to believe the show did not gain more noteriety. The musical score is exemplar and should be the trout that slaps the soppy sound production teams around today.

woah, I didnt mean to go on, sorry for making your eyes red :) But I just wanted to show my apreciation and love for the show. I am dreading its end :( Are there any plans at all in JMS creating a new saga?, I havent seen the end so I dont know how much room is left for manouver, but surely something can fill this hypothetical void which is destined to befall me .. :confused: DS9 won't do, its cheap and shallow on the fundementals that make B5 so great.. I dont mean to offend those who are watching(ed) it (Loved). :p Star trek seems to be pretty large chested ladies and plastic emotion, it doesnt reach the depth or inspire me in anyway..(again sorry)

Has anyone else been affected by B5 as much as I or am I the only sad geezer to have been pulled in so deeply :p

Has anyone else been affected by B5 as much as I or am I the only sad geezer to have been pulled in so deeply :p

Well, the show's been off the air for 5 years and we're still milling around. You decide.

I am dreading its end Are there any plans at all in JMS creating a new saga?, I havent seen the end so I dont know how much room is left for manouver, but surely something can fill this hypothetical void which is destined to befall me ..

No, unfortunetly there are no plans for continuing in the B5 universe. Crusade and Legend of the Rangers are good. I've read all of the books since B5 ended, even the non-cannon ones and there good for a 'quick-fix'. The security manual is a great book and gives small insights into life on Babylon 5, even if it is arguable weather or not it is really cannon.

I would really wait untill you have seen the whole series untill you start the trilogies, but you could read The Shadow Within and To Dream in the City of Sorrows after season three; like everyone else said :LOL:.

You could read the book to the movie Thirdspace because it really doesn't give anything away. However, it fits better and would probably be easyer to understand mid-season four, when it takes place.

Hardly, I've been watching B5 so much that my family knows most of the story and they don't watch it. :D

Welcome to the universe.

Dearest B5 virgin...there are many a sad geezer around here. Welcome to the Sad Geezer party. :D

Enjoy the ride...you'll enjoy the next seasons. Just know that you can continue savoring it long after it is over. We'll wait for you...for when you are done.

Like many of the others, I envy you seeing B5 for the first time. I was in at the beginning and you cannot imagine what it was like waiting week after week, and sometimes months for the next episode. I have it on tape but I am collecting the DVD's and one day I will sit down and watch the whole show through from the beginning.

I've also read all the books and would suggest you just concentrate on The Shadow Within and To Dream in the City of Sorrows. They really relate to the whole story and fill in a lot of blanks, but the other individual books are just silly and have little relationship to the main story. However I do recommend the trilogies later on when you have seen the entire show.

Back