• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Official HEROES Spoiler Thread

Probably not since Sylar will likely be dead in 3 weeks.

Or not. ;)

I don't think Parkman knew that Sylar had replaced Nathan at some point. Just knowing that Nathan himself was a secret mutant who had made his career crusading against them (leading men like Parkman to have to chose sides and lose their families) was more than enough to explain any "edge" in his voice. Throw in the fact that Parkman was working to protect the President's daughter and the whole "Sylar Hypothesis" becomes completely unnecessary.

By the time Sylar dropped the mask, Parkman had a few other things on his mind, like a dead Haitian and two very dangerous and un-neutralized mutants out to kill him and his guys. Then he was caught in the cross-fire of Peter's battle with Sylar and apparently mortally wounded, living just long enough to kill Future Hiro.

Regards,

Joe

I don't think they're gonna do away with Sylar for a while... They need to resolve the bomb thing though. If they end the season without going there I'm gonna be ticked off.

I don't think they're gonna do away with Sylar for a while... They need to resolve the bomb thing though. If they end the season without going there I'm gonna be ticked off.

Tim Kring has said that he envisions the show as a series of self-contained books (seasons) that maintain continuity and build on one another, rather than a single over-arching story told across multiple volumes. (More Sherlock Holmes than Babylon 5 or Lord of the Rings.) So each season will tell one story with a beginning, middle and end, while leaving the door open to further tales (and probably ending with semi-cliffhangers or at least new mysteries.) He is specifically trying to avoid the kind of thing that has frustrated Lost fans and which made such a mess of the X-Files mythology. (Of course, in the latter case Chris Carter was also very much making stuff up as he went, rather than plotting things out in advance, so the mess was almost inevitable.) Pragmatically I think he'd also like to be able to acheive some kind of "ending" for his story as long as he gets a full order for each season, and so as not to leave fans frustrated.

At the same time he's indicated that some themes will extend across the entire run of the show, and some "finished" stories could be revisited.

There could be some significance to the fact that this week's episode specifically took us "five years into the future." If the show is successful, presumably at some point the "current" timeline will also reach that five year point in story time, and we'll see a different future. If Kring has a B5-style five year plan in the back of his mind, this could be a kind of foreshadowing and a pointer to a planned ending for the series. Be interesting to find out if the cast and crew are signed to 5- or 7-year contracts. :)

Regards,

Joe

Last edited:
Well if the bomb gets stopped at the end of this season (and that would be a logical S1 conclusion) then I'd say yes, we certainly will see a different future in 5 years. :) Pretty much everything and everyone in that last episode will be different in countless ways.

One point of logic. While it was sorta need to see this "war torn" Peter with the bad-ass scar on his face....we all know he was able to use Clare's regenerative power, so that scar shouldn't be there. :)

Also, DAMN Clare looked good in those short jean shorts. :)

A friend and I both were expecting the scar as mentioned by future!Hiro way back in the show on the subway train to have been caused by Sylar when he started his pointed-finger skull cutting at the end of the episode right before the hiatus/beginning of the episode right back from the hiatus. But apparently that wasn't it. So yeah, the question becomes how did the scar happen, and why didn't it get healed. Did we see future!Peter heal himself any? Bennet seemed surprised when future!Hiro, was it?, knew about Claire being alive -- of course Bennet had put Claire in hiding and future!Hiro learned of it from present!Hiro, but maybe the people of the future, including Peter, thought Claire was dead or something and that caused some emotional upheaval in Peter that stopped him from being able to also heal or something. Invisible Man did help reveal that Peter's powers were empathically based, if I remember correctly.

Actually, I read that Sylar (the actor) is signed on for next season. =) That could mean interesting things.

One point of logic. While it was sorta need to see this "war torn" Peter with the bad-ass scar on his face....we all know he was able to use Clare's regenerative power, so that scar shouldn't be there. :)

Not necessarily a problem:

We don't know how and when Peter got the scar, and we don't know the exact parameters of the healing power he acquired from Claire.

We also don't know that the events we've seen in "our" timeline correspond exactly to the events in the future we glimpsed after Future Hiro changed things by warning Peter. There may be subtle differences. For instance, Peter may have been badly cut by flying glass or something before he encountered Claire during his rescue attempt, and it may that the healing factor only affects "new "wounds.

Alternatively, we don't know how soon after a wound is inflicted the healing factor has to go to work, and if there is a time-limit beyond which it has no effect if it is somehow prevented from operating. Peter and Claire were both revived after relatively long periods (hours in Claire's case), but the object through the brainstem seems to put them into a state of suspended animation rather than killing them outright, so that may be a special case.

So, consider this: During one of their many past battles, Future Hiro and Peter come within the effective range of the Haitian, who can nulify their powers. (In Peter's case maybe only one or two at a time, or only the ones he knows about.) But Hiro's fighting abiltiy is the result of training, not a mutant power, so he keeps swinging the sword and accidentally cuts Peter - who is without his healing power, and thus seriously injured. (Actually I wonder how many times something like that happened when Hiro was first getting the hang of that pig-sticker, and how many times Peter just healed up.) Later they escape, but either because too much time has passed or because the wound was inflicted when Peter didn't have his healing power (in effect), Hiro has to do ordinary first aid and the normal healing process takes place. (And the mutant underground being short of skilled plastic surgeons, Peter gets stuck with a nasty looking scar.)

Also, DAMN Clare looked good in those short jean shorts. :)

Commonly known as "Daisy Dukes" for obvious reasons. :)

catherinebach10.jpg

I would comment further on Claire's version, but Amy is liable to show up and remind me how young the actress is and how much younger the character is. :)

Velasco: I wish I were ten years older.

Corie: Older?

Velasco: Yes. Dirty old men get away with murder. I'm at that awkward age.

-- Neil Simon, Barefoot in the Park

Josh Dial posted this explanation of the time travel issues on in this thread on The Home Theater Forum. I think it is the clearest and most plausible account of what we've seen so far that I've encountered anywhere. Rather than try to summarize it myself, I got Josh's permission to cross-post his mesage here:

- there are actually TWO futures that we have information on.

The first future, F1, we only are told about from Hiro from the future. In F1, Sylar succeeds in killing Claire at homecoming, and with her healing power, heals the wound from Future Hiro's sword, and eventually goes nuclear. This future is NOT represented in the episode airing this past week, and the only person who remembers these events are Future Hiro. Why? Because he wasn't in the timeline when it was altered. How was it altered? By Future Hiro going back in time, and telling Peter to save the cheerleader. The instant this event occured, F1 ceased to be a possible future (though Future Hiro still has knowledge of F1), and Future Hiro's present has become F2. The clever point is that all the event from the subway meeting with Peter, to the point Future Hiro leaves for the past, Future Hiro has no actual knowledge of. He, in effect, remembers a past that never happened. This is important when he returns to his present time, now F2, and sees that the bomb still went off.

In F2, the events as thus. Future Hiro has altered the present, as shown in most of season 1, by telling Peter to save the cheerleader. The following events, as a result, never occur: Claire being killed at homecoming, Sylar gaining her healing power, and as we are told by Peter, Sylar going nuclear. So F2 happens EXACTLY as we have seen in season 1. There is of course a gap between where the last episode ends, and F2 takes over. These events are filled in by this week's episode, Five Years Gone. We see that Claire is alive, of course, since we've seen her saving during the season, and that Peter goes nuclear, not Sylar. We don't know exactly where Sylar was during the nuclear event, and it doesn't matter - he could have been sleeping for all it matters - the point is is that Peter goes nuclear in F2, not Sylar, and that Sylar is never stabbed by Hiro, and he never needs healing. This is where some people are getting hung up, I think. Sylar never gets stabbed, because in F2, Hiro was never told by his Future Self that he has to. Sylar WAS stabbed in F1, but only because Hiro decided to on his own accord, an act that was futile because Claire was dead by then, and Sylar had her healing. Anyway, in F2, all the events occur as shown on the episode Five Years Gone. Future Hiro incorrectly assumes the explosion is caused, as in F1, by an nuclear Sylar, and that despite warning Peter to save the cheerleader, nothing has been changed. This is incorrect. Lots of things were changed, but not the nuclear incident. Note that Future Hiro seems suprised to learn that Claire is alive in F2. So Future Hiro thinks that saving the cheerleader wasn't the right alteration, so he makes another: he tells Present Hiro to kill Sylar. This event NEVER happened in F1, and NEVER happened in F2. This creates a third version of the future, which we never seen in the episode Five Years Gone. This future, F3, is as it stands right now, the future for the present.

- The best way to think of things is F1 is the unmeddled timeline, and F2 is the result of one instance of meddling: save the cheerleader, and F3 is the future that results from TWO meddlings: save the cheerleader, and telling Hiro to kill Sylar. In other words, F1 was the future before Future Hiro jumped back in time to tell Peter to save Claire, and F2 was the future Future Hiro returned to, which in turn became F3 as soon as Present Hiro and Ando returned to the present following Future Hiro telling Present Hiro to return to his time, and kill Sylar.

- Again, it's important to point out that what we have seen and heard about the future are NOT "possible" futures - they WERE the future, until Future Hiro changed them.

- The overall end result is that F3 is the current new future, and we have no knowledge of it. We literally know NOTHING about what is going to happen next, as the very act of telling Peter to save Claire AND telling Hiro to kill Sylar is a combination that has not occured in either F1, or F2. Thus, it could be the magic combo that prevents a nuclear accident in NY.

- The paintings of the future by Isaac are interesting in that the reflect both F1 and F2. The dead cheerleader in the painting IS Claire. This is F1. It was painted before Future Hiro meets Peter and tells him to save the cheerleader. As soon as that happened, F1 became F2, and all previous F1 paintings are no longer the gospel. Now we have F2 paintings, these show events that all happened between F2 going live, and F3 taking over. Thus, because F2 was closed and cancelled, all F2 paintings are not the gospel either. Of course, there won't be any F3 paintings, at least not by Isaac (remember Peter has his ability too), as he's dead now.

- This leaves the show in a position in which nothing about the future is known. All future events from Five Years Gone are now merely possibilities, not certainties, and literally 100% of Isaac's paintings are the same. In fact, some of his work shows events that were averted. The chief question remains - is the big mural on the floor of a mushroom cloud over NY one of them?

cheers!

Josh

Regards,

Joe

Is Claire even legal yet? (The actress that is.) If not, someone needs to post a Claire countdown to 18 ticker somewhere on the board. =)

Is Claire even legal yet? (The actress that is.) If not, someone needs to post a Claire countdown to 18 ticker somewhere on the board. =)

It depends on where she is, at least until August 21st. That's when Hayden Panettiere turns 18. (And no I don't know this off the top of my head, I looked it up on the IMDB.) Until then she's legal in a number of states where the age of consent is as low as 16, and a few where it is either 17 or 17 under special circumstances. (In Texas the age of consent is 18, but it is legal to have sex with a 17 year old if you are no older than 19 yourself. And no, I don't know this stuff off the top of my head either, I Googled it. :))

In California (where the show is shot) and New York (where Panettiere is from) the age of consent is 18. But if you happened to meet her in the neighboring states of Nevada, New Jersey or Connecticut you'd be in the clear.

Regards,

Joe

Another possibility is the "explosion" erupted from Peter's face, and the healing, for whatever reason was only enough to close the wound, but, not enough to erase the scar, maybe the Haitian showed up as Peter was healing from the experience.

It is confusing though, because Future Hiro was accustomed to the Future we saw, and wasn't aware Claire had been saved, so, doesn't know Peter saved her (and got Healing, and kept it from Sylar) until someone (was that Peter?) tells him so

HAhaha, I know how you guys are. Claire is a cutie! I also remember the Olsen Twins having a countdown out there, and Claire is far more sophisticated and attractive than both of those hags put together.

Good ep tonight...

I think DL & Nikki are done for good... there's hope for Peter yet.

Sylar killed his mom... I saw that coming.

I'm starting to like Candice a little more... it might just be because she was in a towel though. :D

Here is my thing about this show. The best possible finale to this season would be:

1) Stopping the bomb (we will probably get that)

2) Sylar actually gets killed

Now I heard the rumor that the actor is signed on for Season 2, so thats probably not going to happen, but I can dream, can't I?

Don't get me wrong. I think the actor playing the part is doing an amazing job. He really has that complete serial killer thing going, and is incredibly creepy. Its not that. Its just that I get tired of shows that always have this surviving super-villain that never goes away. Shows tend to take these great super-villains or real nasty characters that do so well in their roles....and milk them for so long they become their own joke and are so lame in the end that their original character isnt even recognizable. I give props to JMS for offing great villains like Morden and Lord Refa before they lost their appeal. They were used sparingly and offed before they became a joke. Same with the Shadows actually....

Also, the fact that he keeps getting more and more powers, and in so doing is tougher and tougher to stop, just isn't interesting to me. Obviously Peter is the Yang to his Yin. His opposite. Yes, there will be big showdowns, but we have already seen a couple....how many more do we need to see to get the idea?

I think they need to have the big fight, get it over with, and move the story in a different direction and have a different threat / enemy in Season 2....but I don't think thats going to happen. I think we will have Sylar for years to come (if the show survives) and we will all slowly grow tired of him.

There's a part of me that would enjoy seeing Sylar redeem himself and help the heroes against the Linderman group. I know that's probably a little fru fru, but it would really add dimension to Sylar and enable the powers that be a chance to keep him around for longer.

Actually it's kinda funny. When Dr. B had Sylar defanged for a couple episodes, I thought that was the time when Sylar had become a joke, and there must be a bigger, big bad behind him. Turns out when Sylar was working with Mohinder, he became an even better character then he was before being captured. I too hope they use him wisely and he doesn't become like the Borg in Trek.

Funny how the bomb actually freaked Sylar out, He began looking for redemption, looking for a way to stop. He asked if mother couldn't just be a very good watch repairman, and not have to be special to which she said you are special, you could be President. With the help of a little blood for paint, he's now onto the idea of replacing Petrelli.

Originally, Sylar was not supposed to outlive this season. Then again, the producers talked about each season being a separate story. Both these plans are currently in flux.

I hope they do each season as its own story. They dont have to be completely seperate...at least people and other things can be related, but the core arc I think should be one season.

Buffy and Angel did this really well. Each season was a basic self-contained arc, but the character stories and development was consistent from one season to the next. Kept things short for those with small attention spans, but had a nice overall story going.

Heroes would fit this format VERY well.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back