• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The mighty GKarsEye watches Firefly

I also considered watching Buffy but then I remembered that it was about a teenage girl fighting vampires and it's called "Buffy."
I did say almost, didn't I? ;)

Anyway, now that I have come down from my Serenity buzz I'm backing off on my statement that Firefly is the best show ever. I'll just say that the movie has transformed a failed television show that showed a good deal of promise into a work of art that deserves comparison with the best of sci-fi.

I want to see Serenity again -- it's been decades since I felt that way about a movie.

GKE wrote:
Midnight on the Firing Line is leagues better than any Firefly episode or movie.

I can't agree. Objects in Space, the last Firefly episode (chronologically) was, in my opinion, better than Midnight. I love Midnight, it's a great opening ep, but the pure beauty of Objects in Space -- how it's shot, how tightly it's written -- surpasses it in my mind. But any second now this is going to to devolve into a "Tastes Great!" "Less Filling!" argument, and we'll either have to shut up or move the debate to NC-17.

I also considered watching Buffy but then I remembered that it was about a teenage girl fighting vampires and it's called "Buffy."

Which is why I never watched it until I was literally forced to watch a few episodes. And when I started to enjoy it, I couldn't really take myself seriously for weeks. I kept laughing at my awful taste. And then it dawned on me that the show -- despite the concept, despite the name -- was actually pretty good. (I'm not talking production values. The special effects were pretty much crap for a good long while, and were never A-quality.) But the writing was good, in particular when Whedon was directly in charge, and if you care at all for the characters then the stories are excellent.

That episode would be "Ted" .. not an episode I hated (but I can't really think of many episodes of Buffy I hated. There are plenty of parts of Buffy I hated (like anything with Riley in it), but only few episodes I hated completely) .. not one of my favorites either though.

I'm much like KoshFan there with Buffy. The concept sounded stupid to me, the name sounded stupid, I had no interest whatsoever till after the show was cancelled. I was eventually forced to watch it basically .. and at first found it good brainless fun. With time though, I really started loving it.

I didn't have a great big revelation about the concept not sucking or anything like that. The concept is damned stupid, but once I got into it at least, I just didn't care. (there is one specific point where the show just "grabbed" me, when I really started caring about it. Don't really want to drop spoilers now though :D ) Joss Whedon manages to bring stories to life that in principle sound like the material for fourth-rate kids TV cartoons. Much like Firefly really, that sounds like the biggest heap of crap one could imagine if one reads a 2-line summary on it .. but that definitely is better than (also if it can't live up to shows like B5 in that aspect, but it never pretended like it was trying to).

I watched one complete episode of Buffy. It had John Ritter and he was a robot.

Well, that's certainly NOT an episode that I could see hooking anyone into watching Buffy. "Ted" (John Ritter's episode) is an episode that I'll watch if I'm doing a full season run-through from start to finish, but it sure isn't one I'll pull out and watch on its own. It's one of the episodes on my short list of episodes that I'm not particularly fond of.

I've never rewatched it. It had an interesting concept at first but then sort of devolved...

Far better for conversion, I think, would be "Lie to Me."

After having watched Serenity twice, I'm watching Firefly again from the beginning. It's amazing how all the pieces fall into place. I had wondered about Mal's exceptionally cruel practical joke on Simon, letting on to him that Kaylee was dead. Mal laughed about it later, but I think he was dead serious at the time. Simon had threatened to let Kaylee die. Mal backed down, but he had to know, had Simon meant it, or had he been bluffing. Had it not been a bluff, I do believe Mal would have spaced Simon, or turned him in at the earliest opportunity.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back