• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A thief and a magician?!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Let me start by saying that I am positive Crusade would have turned into a spectacular show. Gideon is great. Mathison is my current favorite just because he seems to be a lot more complex than he lets on. His inner discipline must be extraordinary to control his abilities the way he does with such little accountability.

My sticking points, however, are Galen and Dureena. I love the individual characters, and while it's true they give the show more of a "mythic quest" feel (like RPG's of old - soldier, thief, magician), I just don't understand why a freelance thief with an attitude problem and a tempramental, overly-dramatic magician would be allowed to participate in such an important mission.

I know Dureena is buddy buddy with Sheridan after ACtA and Galen has access to much advanced technology, but lately they've seemed like more of a liability than an asset. As Lorien might say, "Why are they here?".

Let me know what you think. Help me understand.

------------------
You are finite. Zathras is finite. This...is wrong tool.

Because when traveling to different worlds they need ppl with their experience.

As to why Galen's specifically there...I think that's revealed in War Zone..but I'm not sure...I'll have to wait and see.

------------------
"I'd like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price. I'd look up at your lifeless eyes and wave like this. Can you and your associates arrange it for me, Mr. Morden?"
Vir - In The Shadow of Z' HA Dum

Someone else who notices the D&Dist thing going on. You have the Paladin (which, would be Gideon), the Mage (Galen) and the thief (Dureena).

I think Sheridan got her to go along with this. Though, I haven't seen the rest of ACtA.

And for Galen, from what I gather, he's there because he has some tie to Gideon...whatever that tie may be.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out.

Galen is there for a mixture of reasons I think however the main reason he is with them is found out in one of the unfilmed scripts that were on bookface.com for a while.

Dureena seems a mystery to me I don't understand allot of her motivations I guess she is there because the Drahk/shadows did kill all her race I think she wants revenge and also prolly feels sympathy to the people of Earth because they may die from some of the same people that killed her people.

Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Once, for a reason not known, Gideon was in a damaged starfurry with no hope. When Galen and the other technomages were going beyond the rim, Galen stayed behind and saved Gideon's life. After that Galen followed the other technomages.

------------------

Dureena's a natural addition to the crew because she's A: travelled all around the galaxy - especially places where the ISA has not yet reached. B: She's a thief, which means that she specializes in getting into places that people aren't supposed to get into, and finally C: she can blend in and serve as an intelligence source if need be. That and the fact she saved everyone's butt in ACtA by pointing out the real control segment of the planet killer...
smile.gif

------------------
WombatControl
http://www.flarn.com/wombatcontrol/
"Who let the spoo out? Sigh sigh sigh sigh sigh..."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SamGadsby:
Once, for a reason not known, Gideon was in a damaged starfurry with no hope. When Galen and the other technomages were going beyond the rim, Galen stayed behind and saved Gideon's life. After that Galen followed the other technomages.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, if you see "The Path Of Sorrows" you get the whole story... basically Gideon's ship, the Cerebrus, was a attacked by a Shadow ship and destroyed while he was outside in an EVA suit. It was Galen who picked him up and that's how the two of them met.

------------------
WombatControl

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WombatControl:
Actually, if you see "The Path Of Sorrows" you get the whole story... basically Gideon's ship, the Cerebrus, was a attacked by a Shadow ship and destroyed while he was outside in an EVA suit. It was Galen who picked him up and that's how the two of them met.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes but WHY was Galens ship(and the other mages_ so close by?

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

Were the other mages there? It's been a while since I've seen "Path of Sorrows." Could this have taken place after Galen got booted out of the order? Perhaps he was looking for a friend and just happened to find one floating around.

(kinda like the J.S. teddy bear that Sheridan spaced in that Season 2 ep - hehe
smile.gif
)

------------------

jtk724@hotmail.com

This was when the technomages were fleeing to their hiding spot... although one wonders if it was mere coincidence that they happened to pass by right after the Shadow hybrid craft destroyed the Cerebrus.

------------------
WombatControl

Thanks, all. The idea does make more sense if you consider that Dureena has a lot of contacts on a lot of more "seedy" worlds where the Alliance may not be favored. And Galen obviously has access to technology that's A LOT more advanced than even the Excalibur's own systems. I guess the Alliance and the crew would be more likely to indulge their difficult personalities in order to use their resources.

I'm not trying to say that Galen and Dureena are being used, but from the standpoint of people power and resources, I guess they're more valuable than I gave them credit for.

------------------

jtk724@hotmail.com

For my previous post I was reciting from memory, but I watched the episode yesterday and saw my mistakes, but they've been corrected.
At the time Gideon was an Ensign. He was repairing part of the ship when he backed (10 degrees) off for a better view, which saved him from the shadow attack. When he was debriefed, and no one believed him, (for those of you concerned with the time line) they mentioned President Clark.

------------------

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

no one believed him cause it was a cover up
the shadow hybrid was made by EA people... a secreat branch was devloping Shadow tech and converting people into Semi shadow like creatures to piolet the ships the shadow hybrid is one of these ships.. the brach was most likely founded by Clark and is now probly a break away from the EA community though it is possable some of the higher ranking people still know about it

the
im not sure all of this is right its been a while since i last read the 2 un produced episode scripts but it has it all in there... it mentions the Cerebrus as well and a nother ship i think but im not sure why the Cerebrus was destroyed "most likely cause it saw the shadow ship... n could bring down the brach if word got out.. the other ship had a bunch of run away semi human/shadows

"MEGA"

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

witch is what galens people, "techno mages" are the semi human shadow creatures "gideon is pi*sed at galen when he finds out" i think this is right but u really should read the 2 un produced scripts... like i said its been quite a while since i read em

------------------
G'kar " No dictator no invader can hold an imprissioned population by force of arms .forever.. there is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom...against that power goverments and tirants and armies Cannot stand... The centuri learned this lession once ... We will teach it to them again... though it take a thousand years... We will be Free!"

Warning - REPLY TO SPOILER MESSAGE

Cleron, if the Technomages were created by the Shadows, it is possible that Galen has kept more of his humanity than the others, and his basic human need to be human drives him on his quest to help Gideon. Psychologically, his saving the life of Gideon may drive him to see if his place in the grand scheme of the universe was being tested. And if so, if he passed, or if this was another trick left behind by the Shadows, and he is still just a "minion", acting out his programming.

------------------

spoiler reply

The Cerebrus was destroyed by the shadow hybrid, I beleive the Cerebrus was not destroyed on purpose it was that the shadowhybrid was made by a secton of earthforce and they havn't perfected the shadow tech yet obviously the shadow hybrid went mad and started atatckign everyhting.

They felt they had to cover mit up again obviously thats why Gideon's little quest got nowhere for ages.

And I beelive the reason Galen was hangin with Gideon was because at least in part prolly mostly because galen knew that Gideon would eventually find out what happened to his old ship and galen wanted to watch as he hates Earthers having the shadow tech as with there experimentation etc

It hasn;t been said anywhere that the shadows made the techno mages just that the techno mages use shadow tech and as of yet we don';t know how the Mages got a hold of the tech.

more spoils

The first techno mages where of a race called the Tarmitude guess they got the tech but I still wonder how and hope to fijnd out in the next 2 books in teh techno mage tilagy

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au

in the last script just near the end galen reverts to some kind of shadow form i forget why "gideon sees him and is "not to happy"

if the show is ever continued we'll all get to see it
laugh.gif

------------------
G'kar " No dictator no invader can hold an imprissioned population by force of arms .forever.. there is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom...against that power goverments and tirants and armies Cannot stand... The centuri learned this lession once ... We will teach it to them again... though it take a thousand years... We will be Free!"

I'm not exactly clear on Cheron's grammer, but; did he say the EA made techno-mages with shadow tech? If so Londo once said that the first emperor got blessings from 2 techno-mages.

Were can I read those scripts?

------------------
"Gideon says we all have things to hide."
"Does he? How unfortunate, I was hoping he'd come further than that. Well not that it isn't true of course, it's just that one simply doesn't have to say it."

ok ok so mabe im a bit wrong

get use to da spelling
wink.gif
:p

------------------

More Spoiler Stuff

I agree with Deviot on the origin of the TechnoMage Tech. There was some info on that in the first TechnoMage book. Also, there's no connection between the TechnoMages & the Shadows. In fact the major reason the TechnoMages "retired" from the universe was to prevent *either* side from obtaining their Tech.

Not sure about Galen getting "kicked out" of the TechnoMage "group" - I'll have to re-watch ACtA & other stuff to check. Gee - that sounds like a good excuse
smile.gif

Rgds,
Techno.

------------------

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back