• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Doctor Who Christmas Special 2008 (Possible Spoilers)

Galahad

Regular
I'm gearing up for this tonight... the episode is tantalisingly called "The Next Doctor".

Here's a clip... I don't know why they've listed it as January.

Rumour has it that there will be flashback cameos of all the Doctors.

I'm going to make a prediction about the other character called The Doctor, played by David Morrissey.

Given that the main enemies appear to be the Cybus universe Cybermen, I think that Morrisey's Doctor isn't a successor to our Doctor, I think he is a regeneration of the Doctor from their universe. That would explain how he has a sonic screwdriver, and a TARDIS (he's rumoured to have one), without committing them to giving the role of the 11th Doctor to Morrisey.

I don't think RTD would/should take any part in choosing the next Doctor, as it's only fair to give Stephen Moffatt (who is IMHO going to be a better head writer/producer), a clear run in executive decisions. So I don't think the plot of this special is going to committ Moffat to a casting decision he might not otherwise choose to make.

Last edited:
I agree with you on Morrisey. He's too much like the 10th doctor for him to be a different incarnation.

Looking forward to this. And cursing my sister's boyfriend, who flew to London last night and will be watching this on BBC as it airs. :rolleyes:

Worst Christmas special yet.Was pretty disapointed with this effort although at least we wont have to suffer that muppet Morrisey as a Doctor :thumbsup:

Worst Christmas special yet.Was pretty disapointed with this effort although at least we wont have to suffer that muppet Morrisey as a Doctor :thumbsup:

Agreed on both points. I have been crossing my fingers quite a bit that Morrisey won't be the next doctor, AND this special sucked completely.

It had its good parts. Sadly, most of those were in the first two minutes, which had already been released.

It had some nice parts. It's saying something though that I felt Morrissey was the best part of it though - he's a competent enough actor, but I can't help but feel he has no charisma whatsoever.

Definitely my least favourite of the Christmas specials so far. I've not been hugely impressed with the plots of any of them, but this one seemed the weakest of them all.

I'm agreed too. My favourite part was probably the bit where the Doctor talks about all his companions breaking his heart.

I enjoyed it really, and digged the CyberKing. The xmas specials are all a bit light and fluffy. That was the last of the RTD ones, so things may change for the better.

We have 1 more year of RTD specials.

Lets hope they are special and not "special".

Oh... and I forgot to mention that I was very happy to see that "The Sparrow" has not been forgotten by the scriptwriters. :):):):):):cool:;):thumbsup:.

(Please excuse the smiley attack... just can't contain my optimism).

Please don't let it be a woman!

David Tennant accidentially busted that rumour by stating that he envied the bloke they've chosen. Thank god.

While I have no problems with a black actor in principle - as long as he has a convincing British accent - it would kind of focus how the last nine have consistenly been white guys. But then, the show has progressed with society, so it wouldn't be that big a deal.

Not that Doctor Who casting choices have, recently, been giving an accurate picture of modern British society - with all the black people that have been cast on DW, noone West African has been cast, also if there are four times as many Indians and Pakistanis in the UK than Africans. Which is starting to make me wonder if their casting choices aren't more driven by wanting to seem PC for US exports than actually casting the most talented people, regardless of race.

But at the end of the day, as long as they cast talented people, I can live with it.

All will be revealed at 5:35, BBC1.

Well, it's official for our girls and guy-liking guys .. lusting for the Doctor has just become cradle-robbing. :rolleyes:

446doctor1um1.jpg

I've never seen him in anything, so I'll withhold my judgement, but the doctor being a goofy teenager is not encouraging.

Well, it's official for our girls and guy-liking guys .. lusting for the Doctor has just become cradle-robbing. :rolleyes:

446doctor1um1.jpg

I've never seen him in anything, so I'll withhold my judgement, but the doctor being a goofy teenager is not encouraging.

He just doesn't look the part of the Doctor. I do agree that it is best to see him him the role and then decide.

It would have been nice if they could have convinced David Tenant to stay on for a season or two more, he was a a really good Doctor.

Matt Smith is 26.

He doesn't look it. Not with that haircut, at least.

Like I've said, I'll keep my final judgement till I've seen him in action, but in general, while all doctors have been different, they've all had a certain gravitas - even Davison and Tennant (though Tennant was quite weak in his first season, IMO, and only then started getting better) - which he, judging by the few pictures and video clips I've seen, does not have.

Even if I'm sure he's a great actor, he screams "emo teenager" for me.

But, we shall see.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back