• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What are you watching now?

Not that you guys want to know this (and it's completely off topic,) but I had a dream last night that my husband kept pressuring me to have sex with William Shatner. So, Shatner arrives dressed in these red tights and blue silk shorts. I tell my husband, "umm, no," then take off. This greatly angers my husband. Then I wake up.

So, no idea what that was about.

Anyway... carry on! Boston Legal, huh? :cool:

After a 9 month break or so .. finally got back to Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I had quit after season 3 (due to traveling .. and didn't have time when I was back) .. so I got to start with season 4.

General observations:
* The Ferengi suck.
* The Klingons suck.
* Deep Space Nine Worf sucks.
* Dax sucking Worf's cock sucks.
* Being O'Brien sucks.

It's odd how a show I enjoy so much one episode just completely bores me the next episode, if any of the plots above is featured.

The Ferengi sucking as much as they do is sad, as I Armin Shimerman/Quark is great, when cut off from all the .. Ferengi stuff. Alas, any episode involving him as a central character .. will suck.

The Klingons .. are so very, very, VERY boring. Especially on Deep Space Nine, when you have interesting species such as the Cardassians and the Bajorans, making great metaphor for various historical situations on earth.

Worf was actually pretty cool on TNG. ("With all due respect, sir... **BEGONE!!** ...Sir.") He is such an incredible useless wanker on Deep Space Nine. Every one of his philosophical "character development" speeches makes me want to stuff a sock down his neck. He was cool on TNG becase while TNG was full of pointless "character" stuff like that, he never had any of that - he was too busy trying to kill people.

And, of course, this makes the pairing up of him and Dax - the least interesting character on the show - so very interesting.

The writers are complete, cheap bastards when it comes to O'Brien. They've created the ultimate realistic likable character, and have a spectacular actor playing him .. and through some wild coincidence, all the shit happens to him. And it actually WORKS. When O'Brien suffers, I suffer.

Chili, you are right about everything in that post. And though DS9 was a fine show, all those negatives prevents me from considering a great show (and no, not just because, in my heart, there was really one true Star Trek).

"Mooooooggiiiiiiii........!!!" ugh, die already.

I saw Michael Collins, where the only famous Irish actor in the world, Liam Nieson, portrays the Irish revolutionary. Pretty by-the-numbers historical fiction movie, but the cast (including Alan Rickman) and subject matter kept me interested. And the bland, soul-less Julia Roberts trying to act and affect an Irish accent was an amusing sideshow.

David Lynch's Lost Highway is coming out on DVD, so I'll prob pick that up. I only saw it once on a crappy Pan 'n' Scan VHS tape years ago.

Quite frankly, when I started watching B5 I stopped watching DS9. As far as "space station" shows, DS9 paled by comparison so much that I couldn't care. I did watch more of DS9 later, but it never captured me. I actually enjoyed Voyager and even Enterprise more.

Currently, I am watching "Reaper", "Torchwood" and "Medium". I am: 1) amused by the devil 2) have a bit of lust for Captain Jack and 3) enjoy watching Patricia Arquette leap up out of a dream several times a night.

Currently, I am watching "Reaper", "Torchwood" and "Medium". I am: 1) amused by the devil 2) have a bit of lust for Captain Jack and 3) enjoy watching Patricia Arquette leap up out of a dream several times a night.

My wife and I are watching Medium as well. We are just starting the 2nd season and I enjoy it much more than I thought I would. Also I'm watching The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles (the Sean Patrick Flannery ones) to get ready for Indy IV next month.

What's funny is that I watched DS9 for a long time and never watched B5 while it was on the air. I never watched ST: TNG either, but for some reason DS9 really captured me. I loved the captain. I loved Kira, and who doesn't like Worf?

It's been so long, though. I don't remember much about the storylines at all. I have no idea if I would have watched B5 over DS9. I imagine I would have simply enjoyed them both. :)

What's funny is that I watched DS9 for a long time and never watched B5 while it was on the air. I never watched ST: TNG either, but for some reason DS9 really captured me. I loved the captain. I loved Kira, and who doesn't like Worf?

Me :)

I liked him on TNG .. but on Deep Space Nine, he was a complete wanker. Constantly acting like a complete prick .. and then going all "human" by having one long boring philosophical monologue on how his childhood traumas made him a prick after another.

Also, he was a back door for endless amount of Klingon plots. Snooze.

I was excited when I heard he'd be joining the cast, but he very quickly replaced Dax as my least favourite character.

In general, though, Deep Space Nine's set of characters (main, and supporting) is superior to any other modern Trek's.

Not watching much now except for Torchwood, as well as a bit of Desperate Housewives and the usual BBC excuses for news and entertainment. Awaiting new BSG and Dr Who.

In terms of movies, we watched 'Last exit to Brooklyn' the other night. It was pretty amazing, and managed to make a horrific gang rape scene look arty.

DS9 had two of the greatest recurring evil characters ever- Gol Dukat and Kai Nurse Ratchet. The casting choice for the latter was brilliant.

The worst thing about DS9 was season 7. Proof of why a show shouldn't more than 5 seasons. A different Dax, a rat pack like singer (?), that baseball episode- oh god that baseball episode! *shudder*

I recently watched Heroes season 1 and the only real appeal it had was the hot chicks. I've heard season 2 is even worse so I might be skipping that.

Tracy Ullman debuted her new show last weekend- you know I never found her all that funny, but feel I should for some reason. She dresses up as different people and does weird impressions- it's good in theory but rarely a hearty ha-ha. Making fun of Arianna Huffington was an... interesting choice, 'cause it's pretty obscure, but... meh.

If I don't go out tonight, I'll be watching Battlestar Galactica season 4 premier and Bill Maher (thank god he got his writers back, because without them... woof!).

I've been watching New Amsterdam. Decent show, apparently ripped off of a book someone wrote, but its still a neat show. But, its on Fox, so I know it won't make it.

This brings me back to my usual dilemma with Fox. When shows like Drive get cancelled after only 2 weeks, I get this whole "I'm not going to watch any new TV on Fox till it has at least been on one season and rent the DVDs to catch up" attitude.

Then there is the part of me that thinks, if I STOP watching new, good quality TV on Fox, then I am just making things worse. If they aren't collecting my DVR data showing what I am watching, then that just will make more of a case for them to put less "Good" TV on the air, and more crappy reality shows. So I've decided I'll keep watching what I want to watch and one of these years they might actually catch on.

Am I the only person that didn't mind Ezri? Not as much as I minded Jadzia, at least.

(though I ran into some payboy pictures of Jadzia recently. Not bad .. not bad at all.)

Though what I mostly recall from season 7 is:
* Frank Sinatra on the holosuite, whom everyone goes to to whine
* Baseball on the holosuite
* Rom becomes Grand Nagus
* Dukat becomes a Bajoran
* Odo and Kira having a physical relationship (which completely defeated the point of their relationship)
* Chilli wondering what happened to his show

Well I didn't hate Jadzia Dax as much as you apparently did. I would consider her character to have been more wasted potential, but not awful. Just kind of... there.

The problem with Ezri is that now, in the final season of a show with a war arc, we're supposed give a damn about this chick? Oh no, she's not comfortable being a psychiatrist.... zzzzzz...

I believe that's also why Lochley is so unpopular in the B5 world- the new girl in town in the final season, created because of the actress that played the previous role bailed.

But Ezri was much worse. Lochley was as good as you could hope for in that situation, while Ezri was a "cute" little... psychiatrist? Blech.

You know what else bugged me about DS9? The mirror universe. You know all that awesome stuff Kirk did in that universe? Well DS9 decides it doesn't count! F#$% them!

Well I didn't hate Jadzia Dax as much as you apparently did. I would consider her character to have been more wasted potential, but not awful. Just kind of... there.

I didn't really hate her - not in the way I "hated" Troy (who makes me cringe every time she opens her mouth - except for First Contact, where whe was cool ... due to being nothing like what her character was supposed to be) ... but yes, she was just mostly there.

It's mostly the Worf-Dax relationship that bored me to death. In season 4, both characters just were uninteresting for me. But then .. we start getting the Worf-and-Dax hook up episodes. The Worf-and-Dax get married episodes. The Worf-and-Dax get stuck on a planet together episodes. ACK! Go away!

As for Ezri being a psychiatrist .. I didn't even remember that she was a psychiatrist. Shows how much I remember about season 7

Last edited:
Troi and Jadzia Dax had this in common: they both were initially supposed to be this exotic, mysterious, mystical elf-like being. But the writers found it impossible to maintain that attitude after a while, so they started changing them to have more humor and accessibility, basically making them "regular" women.

At least with Jadzia there was an explanation for it in the plot- the influence of Curzon Dax.

More things that suck about Deep Space Nine:

* What's up with how absolutely everyone absolutely always drinks the same thing? Bashir always drinks Tarkelian tea. Kira always drinks Raktajino. Worf always drinks prune juice. Rom always drinks snail juice. Doesn't ANYONE like any variety, ever?

* Why is everything always "Tarkelian" or something like that anways? Why does Odo always want to turn into a "Alvanian falcon", and not just into a falcon? Why is any silk you encounter always "Felconian silk" or something like that, instead of just silk?

Who talks like that? Does anyone ever go into a store, look at fabrics and say "ooh, look, Catalan cotton!"?

And, as I've done enough whiny bitching ..

* Sisko is coolness personified. To do some stereotyping .. why is it that when black guys shave their heads and grow goaties, they generally look completely badass .. while white guys, when they do the same, look completely gay?

why is it that when black guys shave their heads and grow goaties, they generally look completely badass .. while white guys, when they do the same, look completely gay?

You hear that, Markas?

Oh, wait.....

Um, let's see, what am I watching- Heroes season 2 on Netflix instant watch thingy. f'n boring show, but everyone is so pretty that I can't turn away.

I finally bought the complete Twin Peaks box set but prob won't get around to watching in a while.

I finally bought the complete Twin Peaks box set but prob won't get around to watching in a while.

I got this for Christmas and started watching it. For as much as it is raved about, and given that it was the pioneer for "arc" type shows like Lost....I'm finding it really tough to watch and get into. It has some neat parts, but the music, feel, and general oddness of it make it really tough to watch for me...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back