• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Matt Smith Dr Who

Only saw the last episode of the new ones as I've been bouncing about countries a bit lately.

Spitfires in space,there is nothing cooler :cool:

Daleks in green with Union Flags :LOL: but still cool :cool:

The new Doctor,got his work cut out.

Amy would be better if she wasn't a ginger minge :devil:

Well, I've only seen the first episode of the new incarnation of the Doctor, but I liked it. It was fun. I liked that the dialog was fast and quippy. From my experience with David Tennant's incarnation, Dr Who plots aren't the most sensical, but the first episode made enough sense within itself that it was good. I see others commenting that the next couple of episodes aren't super-great, but I do still look forward to seeing the new season.

I've been disappointed with all three episodes so far. The only thing I like about them has been the character of Amy Pond and the actor who played Winston Churchill, as well as the new opening credits.

My complaints are these:
-Matt Smith seems to be emulating David Tennant to a large extent; I don't find that he has much of his own character at all. And the part with the "self-destruct" biscuit/cookie at the end of the WWII episode perfectly demonstrates that.

-The plots have been predictable, very basic, and with very little of the traditional mix of humor and horror. For example, the story of the star whale being mistreated for so long was really stupid, in my opinion, and not scary or funny at all.

-The plots have also included impossibilities, even for the Doctor Who universe. For instance, how could they possibly have outfitted Spitfires with atmospheric bubbles and Dalek cannons, sent them into space, and destroyed the core of the Dalek ship in only ten minutes?

-It seems like they have really decreased the budget for this new series, which manifests itself in the warehouse-like feel of all the indoor sets and the very obvious difference between the CG and live action.

So, for me, I much prefer the previous Doctor Who series.

-It seems like they have really decreased the budget for this new series, which manifests itself in the warehouse-like feel of all the indoor sets and the very obvious difference between the CG and live action.

I am not sure it is a budget issue, as such ... more that the show is now being shot in HD and probably costs more to make an equivalent episode than it used to. Plus there is probably an element of one-off costing in this season to establish the changes that have been made - new TARDIS sets etc. that will not need to be repeated.

I have to confess that I have found all of Moffat's episodes prior to this season to be no more than clever, interesting and watchable and, sadly, that continues to be the case. I have also seen lots of comparisons being made to the Sylvester McCoy era and since that was the point at which I lost all interest in the classic show that doesn't bode well for me.

I am glad that some of those who hated RTD with a passion are now finding something to enjoy in the show, but I, for one, am already missing his influence.

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE the new episodes, and I LIKE Matt Smith, although I haven't seen anything really special in him yet. However, having made efforts to catch all the previous seasons episodes both on initial broadcast and BBC3 repeats as well as Confidential, I find that I don't bother watching the current ones a second time, and haven't even bothered with Confidential.

All entirely subjective of course ... I am more disappointed that the show is no longer my TV highlight of the Spring the way it has been over the last few years.

I've been disappointed with all three episodes so far. The only thing I like about them has been the character of Amy Pond and the actor who played Winston Churchill, as well as the new opening credits.

My complaints are these:
-Matt Smith seems to be emulating David Tennant to a large extent; I don't find that he has much of his own character at all. And the part with the "self-destruct" biscuit/cookie at the end of the WWII episode perfectly demonstrates that.

-The plots have been predictable, very basic, and with very little of the traditional mix of humor and horror. For example, the story of the star whale being mistreated for so long was really stupid, in my opinion, and not scary or funny at all.

-The plots have also included impossibilities, even for the Doctor Who universe. For instance, how could they possibly have outfitted Spitfires with atmospheric bubbles and Dalek cannons, sent them into space, and destroyed the core of the Dalek ship in only ten minutes?

Many of the scripts were quite possibly written with Tennant in mind, he was offered first refusal on this season. Tennant suffered the same fate with Eclestons scripts, it took him a season to blossom.

The issues plot elements mentioned apply to a lot of the RTD scripts as well, usually with the Dr saying 'yes but im a genius' or somesuch. I'm finding them oddly refreshing. The acid test will be using the RTD bingo card to spot lazy plotwriting:

http://redplanetblog.typepad.com/fanboygeeks/2008/02/russell-t-davie.html

So far, I've yet to spot and of the really horrible ones like 'everyone loves the Dr or he is a bit like Jesus'.
However, we should always remember that this is a fun show aimed at a family audience. Not that we won't tear it to shreds, but hey.

Budget cuts are sadly noticable, but they've affected the beeb all around. Movie to HD may have contributed.

Don't like the new fatty daleks. The angles are all wrong and they are too colourful. They look like they've been crossbred with a smart car.

Somebody made this funny comparison
.:devil:

That link has been blocked in the UK.

That's a shame... damage limitation??? I'd like to see the Beeb try and kill all of them, there were hundreds at last count. Basically it was the emerging Daleks set to the tune of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers:guffaw:

Just found this edited parody clip.:LOL:

There's an episode coming up that was filmed in my girlfriend's old high school. Her sources inform her that on set, the crew regard Smith as "no David Tenant."

There's an episode coming up that was filmed in my girlfriend's old high school. Her sources inform her that on set, the crew regard Smith as "no David Tenant."
Would your GF's old High School be here in the states? If so, fascinating that a Dr. Who ep will be shot here.

If I'm understanding them correctly ... it should be noted here that the crews felt much the same way about Tom Baker when he took over from Jon Pertwee back in 1974. Pertwee was universially loved by anyone that had ever worked with him, while it's very rare to find anyone that ever worked with Tom Baker that's still willing to be in a room with him. Personally, I also preferred Pertwee to Baker on screen and the Pertwee era to the Tom Baker era, but be that as it may, I've yet to see a "favourite doctor" poll that has anyone but Tom Baker come out on top.

I don't find Matt Smith appealing at all on a personal level in interviews (I always liked Tennant on a persoanl level, even when I was greatly disliking his acting) ... but I'm quite satisfied with the results he's bringing.

I'm excited to see the re-introduction of River Song. I just watched the 2 parter Silence in the Library. I think Matt Smith's introduction to her can make or break his Doctor (And Moff as show runner). He'll have to recognize her, but, keep it to himself. RTD made a big deal of her and who she becomes to the Doctor. Confusing thing is, though, she told David Tennat, she's never seen him so young? Matt Smith is literally younger than David Tennant and in the first episode at least, played the character as younger and more carefree. Certainly considering the DT episodes after Silence in the Library, the character "aged" through drama and loss, but, that seems to have been erased with the regeneration

Would your GF's old High School be here in the states? If so, fascinating that a Dr. Who ep will be shot here.

No, my girlfriend's American but she went to a boarding school in Wales for two years. Specifically a castle in Wales.

Yeah, she's awesome.

If I'm understanding them correctly ... it should be noted here that the crews felt much the same way about Tom Baker when he took over from Jon Pertwee back in 1974. Pertwee was universially loved by anyone that had ever worked with him, while it's very rare to find anyone that ever worked with Tom Baker that's still willing to be in a room with him. Personally, I also preferred Pertwee to Baker on screen and the Pertwee era to the Tom Baker era, but be that as it may, I've yet to see a "favourite doctor" poll that has anyone but Tom Baker come out on top.

Let me do something about that

I don't find Matt Smith appealing at all on a personal level in interviews (I always liked Tennant on a persoanl level, even when I was greatly disliking his acting) ... but I'm quite satisfied with the results he's bringing.
I understand what you mean. He doesn't seem to connect as well when he is being himself, but that could be because he's more introverted and it would be a crime to judge him for that. He manages to connect with the audience well enough in the role to be convincing... and when push comes to shove, that is what matters.

Any credible poll, then. I've been following DW internet discussions after episodes air since the show was revived, and every week, people are saying that the last episode was either the best, or worst, episode ever. Any poll including the current doctor will be biased so badly by default that it doesn't really mean anything.

I'm excited to see the re-introduction of River Song. I just watched the 2 parter Silence in the Library. I think Matt Smith's introduction to her can make or break his Doctor (And Moff as show runner). He'll have to recognize her, but, keep it to himself. RTD made a big deal of her and who she becomes to the Doctor. Confusing thing is, though, she told David Tennat, she's never seen him so young? Matt Smith is literally younger than David Tennant and in the first episode at least, played the character as younger and more carefree. Certainly considering the DT episodes after Silence in the Library, the character "aged" through drama and loss, but, that seems to have been erased with the regeneration

RTD wasn't piulling the strings on that two parter... it was a Moffat story. RTD has publicly said (even in the DWC following the story), that you don't touch Stephen's scripts because they are "that good".

You need to look at The Doctor the same way that Moffat does. The reason he cast Smith was because despite his physical youth, he felt he could convey the idea of the Doctor being the wise old man of the universe.

It's not about the words or the actions it's about the soul. River (for whatever reason), connects with the Doctor on that level. If you think back to the second episode and what Amy said to the Doctor...

"Very old and very kind and the very very last. Sound a bit familiar?"

The Doctor often plays the manic jester, and yes his new physicality may contribute more to that... he also often skirts with the darker side of his nature when he switches to immense brooding anger... but at his core he is still The Doctor and he is still the wise old man of the universe.

Some people have bought the RTD "Even if I regenerate I still die, some new guy goes sauntering off" line a bit literally.

The Doctor's traits may or may not change with each regeneration... but at his hearts he is the very same person within.

Any credible poll, then. I've been following DW internet discussions after episodes air since the show was revived, and every week, people are saying that the last episode was either the best, or worst, episode ever. Any poll including the current doctor will be biased so badly by default that it doesn't really mean anything.

There's an element of truth in what you say... but Doctors fluctuate in favour from time to time. In recent years a lot of people have disliked McCoy... I personally liked him. And whilst Baker II was originally disliked... people have warmed to his performances as time has progressed. I certainly don't like the idea that McGann came last... as whatever else was wrong with the telemovie (and there were plenty of flaws to pick), in the role itself, McGann I felt was pretty solid. I think I'm not alone in that analysis and it's why his image has been included in the canon of the newer series.

In truth picking between the Doctors is for me a bit of a stupid thing to do. It's like saying you liked your best friend when he worked as a teacher but not so much when he became an archaeologist. Or liking your friend more when he likes rock music but saying he isn't as loveable when he hangs out at jazz clubs.

RTD wasn't piulling the strings on that two parter... it was a Moffat story. RTD has publicly said (even in the DWC following the story), that you don't touch Stephen's scripts because they are "that good".

You need to look at The Doctor the same way that Moffat does. The reason he cast Smith was because despite his physical youth, he felt he could convey the idea of the Doctor being the wise old man of the universe.

It's not about the words or the actions it's about the soul. River (for whatever reason), connects with the Doctor on that level. If you think back to the second episode and what Amy said to the Doctor...

"Very old and very kind and the very very last. Sound a bit familiar?"

The Doctor often plays the manic jester, and yes his new physicality may contribute more to that... he also often skirts with the darker side of his nature when he switches to immense brooding anger... but at his core he is still The Doctor and he is still the wise old man of the universe.

Some people have bought the RTD "Even if I regenerate I still die, some new guy goes sauntering off" line a bit literally.

The Doctor's traits may or may not change with each regeneration... but at his hearts he is the very same person within.
Yes, that was the reason for "young" in parenthesis. CE came on the scene as a very old troubled soul. Rose helped him heal and DT came into his regeneration as less troubled and burdened. By the end of DT, he was very burdened again, but Matt Smith, seems to have been healed in his regeneration, at least looking at performance in his first episode (We haven't seen ep 2 yet, so I can't look back on it for 3 more days)

I suspect that neither River Song nor Amy Pond are who they appear to be. it will be interesting to find out what is hiding underneath.

I don't know about other people, but I personally liked tonight's episode ("The Beast Below"). The theme of society-wide choice and the juxtaposition of the Doctor and (what's the spoiler policy for this thread given that our Brit posters get the episodes before we American posters?). There were a couple of fun allusions to Star Wars in the episode too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back