• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5:TLT Actual DISCUSSION Thread

Re: Actual B5:TLT News

I'll simply say one last time: it's too damned bad this happened just a bit too late for some of our favorites to be part of the project.

True. Anything without Richard Biggs and Andreas Katsulas won't seem like the same old B5.

Indeed. It's why I'm having trouble being more than simply...happy...about the new production. It's B5, it's JMS, and I'm sure I'll love it -- and I'm damned happy to know that there's some good sf television (even if only direct to DVD) coming our way -- but it'll be very hard to watch it knowing that G'Kar will never step through the door to Sheridan's office, that Londo and G'Kar will never spar like old marrieds again, that Andreas will never again flamboyantly enter a scene and proceed to steal it no matter how few words he has to read.

The irony seems crueller to me than in the case of Richard Biggs. Rick left us all the way back in May of 2004; Andreas died just as this deal was being finalized. I don't even know if he would have been able to do TMoS if it hadn't tanked, depending on the shooting schedule. But it's just painful, really awful, that the WB neurons only began firing (and the checkbooks opening) with regard to this property as Andreas lay dying.

That's why I haven't weighed in much on threads about the new show. I can't really work up the requisite amount of enthusiasm, nor do I want to bring people down. Some days, though, it's infinitely hard not to spread the grief around. :-(

Amy

You know, it wouldn't surprise me at all if one or more of the tales are used to pay tribute to them in at least a couple of scenes. A kind of using the loss of the characters to mourn the loss of the real people behgind them.

I mean in terms of a conversation between existing characters... say Ta'Lon, Vir and Garibaldi for G'Kar, and well if the did something along the lines of Marcus's resurrection short story you could have him lamenting everyone.

A kind of using the loss of the characters to mourn the loss of the real people behgind them.

The problem is that the characters outlived the actors. G'Kar dies in 2278, Dr. Franklin outlives Sheridan, Zathras (I) went back in time with Sinclair and presumably died at some point in the past and we don't know how long the other Zatharii live. If JMS will mostly be sticking close to the perios covered by the series there is little room for such "after the character dies" tributes.

Regards,

Joe

The irony seems crueller to me than in the case of Richard Biggs. Rick left us all the way back in May of 2004; Andreas died just as this deal was being finalized. I don't even know if he would have been able to do TMoS if it hadn't tanked, depending on the shooting schedule. But it's just painful, really awful, that the WB neurons only began firing (and the checkbooks opening) with regard to this property as Andreas lay dying.

In truth, the irony is only crueller to us. I'm sure that playing G'Kar again was the last thing on Andreas' mind in his final weeks and days. He did get one more shot at his character than the rest of the cast(in LoTR). As fans, we mourn him twice, as the real person and also as the character whose stories are forever closed to us.

However, despite the passing of time, I still find the sudden death of Richard Biggs, a healthy man in his early 40s, due to a congenital heart defect to be ifinitely sadder (and crueller) than the death of Andreas Katsulas, whose smoking prowess was legendary, from lung cancer in his 60s.

I too am experiencing a sort of guarded joy, Amy. I am happy that there's going to be more, but the format and quantity of the project, as well as the passage of time, and the passage of beloved actors, makes it a tough pill to swallow.

A kind of using the loss of the characters to mourn the loss of the real people behgind them.

The problem is that the characters outlived the actors. G'Kar dies in 2278, Dr. Franklin outlives Sheridan, Zathras (I) went back in time with Sinclair and presumably died at some point in the past and we don't know how long the other Zatharii live. If JMS will mostly be sticking close to the perios covered by the series there is little room for such "after the character dies" tributes.

Regards,

Joe

I wasn't under the impression the dranas were restricted to the years immediately surrounding the 5 year arc.

I have a hunch one of the stories will be Delenn's last journey as JMS mentioned it some time ago. I'd personally also like to see what happened when Valen and Sakai hooked up in the 13th century.

As far as outtakes, I recall reading that JMS said there were no deleted scenes to speak of because he was always working on such a tight budget, so, he knew he had 42 minutes of air time, and the cuts were typically made to the script, before anything was on film. So, I don't think there is really much of anything filmed that didn't make it into the episodes.

In general, the scripts were pretty tight, that's true. Even so, the director (or editor) would generally hand in his/her cut with the episode a few minutes long and then JMS would do his cut. Those cuts didn't usually mean much more than tightening things, though, and maybe sometimes trimming a few words here and there.

The other thing to remember is that the raw footage was kept on computer. I don't know if that would have been kept after all this time.

Jan

The only thing I can think of as far as deleted scenes goes is the stuff that was shot for the cancelled Sierra video game. From what I remember reading, they shot some scenes with the original cast for it. It could be interesting to see if that could be dug up and cleared, since it might contain some of the last unseen footage of two character we aren't otherwise going to see any more. Even if it turns out not to be usable as far as fitting it into a Lost Tale, it might still make a nice DVD extra.

In truth, the irony is only crueller to us. I'm sure that playing G'Kar again was the last thing on Andreas' mind in his final weeks and days.

Well, obviously, but I'm sure the role meant more to him than you might think: JMS is practically the only producer to cast him as something other than a mafioso, thug, or terrorist, and certainly the only one to cast him as such in an ongoing role, a starring role, and one of such immense scope and with such fantastic lines. Excepting his stage work with Peter Brook, it was certainly the role of his lifetime.

However, despite the passing of time, I still find the sudden death of Richard Biggs, a healthy man in his early 40s, due to a congenital heart defect to be ifinitely sadder (and crueller) than the death of Andreas Katsulas, whose smoking prowess was legendary, from lung cancer in his 60s.

Actually, Andreas was 59 when he passed.

I too am experiencing a sort of guarded joy, Amy. I am happy that there's going to be more, but the format and quantity of the project, as well as the passage of time, and the passage of beloved actors, makes it a tough pill to swallow.

Thanks. One thing that's great about the B5 fan community is having people to share this with, people who can understand this peculiar kind of grief.

Grief and pain are a constant with us, are they not?
After nearly a decade of bad news, we get good news footnoted with bad news.

I am hoping for a story about Markas, His path to become a ranger or what he did before he came to B5.

I've not seen any recent pics of the actor but perhaps others could tell me if some light make-up or computer magic could "restore" him to his former self without being obvious? provided he aged well of course ;)

I am hoping for a story about Markas, His path to become a ranger or what he did before he came to B5.

This was all covered in the novel To Dream in the City of Sorrows, and I'd be surprised if JMS used The Lost Tales to retelll stories that were already told very well elsewhere.

Regards,

Joe

Jason still looks like Jason, but older. You can see him really briefly in the trailer here:

The Final Curtain - indie horror film

I had a picture posted somewhere of our acting class from last September -- I took a class with him on Long Island -- but I'm having trouble finding it. If I can dig it up, I'll post a link. (Jan, you don't happen to have that link still, do you?)

Sorry, Amy. the only one I remember was the one you'd posted to the newsgroup and that link comes up invalid now.

Jan

Jason was still looking good two years ago, when I last met him.

Attachments

• 373229-Jasonandme.jpg
    373229-Jasonandme.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 17

Excellent news from JMS:

Title: Further B5:TLT update from jms
Author: jmsatb5@aol.com
Date: 12 Oct 2006 01:02:13 -0700
Message-ID: <1160640133.806575.268920@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>

Just a quick follow-up...I'm in Vancouver (coming back in 24 hours)
finishing up a round of final staff interviews for B5:TLT. Thus far,
we've hired two other producers, a script supervisor, a post
supervisor, the editor, a production manager, a conceptual
artist/storyboard guy, an art director/production designer, a first
assistant director, and closed several cast deals, with the rest
probably to be closed next week, at which time I may be able to say who
they are. Pending final negotiations, Chris Franke has agreed to come
on board to do the music. We're interviewing CGI houses up here to
decide which to go with. The three scripts have been completed, and
are now being storyboarded. We've narrowed down the director of
photography options to just a few last guys, and should have that
decided by week's end. We've also locked down the stage and have
started putting together our package (camera, lights, grip and
electrics).

By this time next week, about 80% of our crew will be in hand, the rest
coming aboard during the start of prep.

jms

message content (c) 2006
synthetic worlds, ltd.
permission to reprint
specifically denied to
SFX Magazine

What exactly do producers do on projects like this? I always think of a producer as being the one who puts up the money, but I don't think it's that simple. :confused:

I think a lot depends on the individual project, but in TV (which this essentially is), I think a producer is one who coordinates things on a day-to-day basis. There are so many departments doing such varied jobs, somebody has to keep track of what everybody's doing and make sure that they're all marching in step. They'd also be the ones making decisions that wouldn't require the Exec. Producer.

Jan

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back