• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

What are you watching now?

Final season, filming is underway / almost finished. I enjoyed the end of the second season, although it will never have quite the impact of Life on Mars.

The Lone Gunmen, the failed X-Files spin-off mostly known for having an episode centered about a plot aiming to fly an airliner in the the WTC .. in early 2001.

I'm actually kind of enjoying it. My desire to smack Langley in the face with a sledgehammer has not waned from when I was watching the X-Files, and there are so many things wrong with the show as a whole .. but it's silly and fun, and does not take itself too seriously (which makes it a million times more enjoyable than the X-Files were when they started sucking)

Just finished a marathon viewing of Dexter, seasons 1 and 2 ( waiting for 3). Really good series!!!! Also waiting for Avatar: the Last Airbender. I put holds on season 1 ( why is it diveded into 5 separate discs:rolleyes:) and 2 (again, why 4 separate discs:rolleyes::rolleyes:) from the local library. It better be good:devil:

Up

Plot: It's a cartoon about an old man who ties balloons to his house and flies to South America with a boy scout. Also, it's a cartoon. Nominated for a Best Picture oscar.

The mighty GkarsEye says: that he's almost depressed that of all 10 nominated films, this one handles the topic of romantic love better than all the rest put together (except maybe An Education). I mean the opening alone... my god. Heartbreaking. IT'S A CARTOON! And the music.. I was shocked it was an original score. Really makes the whole movie.

Watched this movie last night, and agree with all of this. I also was surprised to see that the score was written by the guy that does the music for Lost, as I've come to quite dislike the Lost scores.

I had the same problem with this movie that I had with all the Pixar movies I've seen, though (The Incredibles and Wall-E, in particular) - the set-up is great, the characters are great, and the first half of the movie, establishing these things, is genuinely enjoyable (and in the case of Up, heartbreaking).

But then, the second half of the movie got .. exciting. Which translates to a whole lot of silly and boring running around.

I just watched Inglorious Basterds, and District 9. I liked them both, but IB went a little too far astray from history, for my taste, and D9 had a lot of illogical things, such as how did the alien weapons get from the ship, to the Earth? I doubt that the humans who evacuated the "prawns" would have brought them down, and given them to the aliens. Lots of other illogic too, but still enjoyable.

Well, I know it was a fantasy, and was meant to be entertaining, which it was. If there was a larger point, I did indeed miss it.

Well, I know it was a fantasy, and was meant to be entertaining, which it was. If there was a larger point, I did indeed miss it.

the point of the film was that it was like a good version of munich, they are both about jewish dudes kicking the shit out of folk but IB wasn't depressing, also while i thought it was great fun, i also think it may be QT's worst film to date.

Well, no, it is fantasy, that's why I found it odd that "deviation from history" would even be a concern.

My thing with that movie is that it's just typical of QT's flicks- islands of exhilarating fun, cool characters, and colorful action and set pieces, surrounded by oceans of poorly paced dialog and background that goes nowhere. This movie would have been way cooler if it was an hour shorter.

While I agree with your assessment of Tarantino's movies in general, at least the amoral violence and brutality was aimed at immoral, and even more violent and brutal people. I actually would have liked it to be a bit longer, with more of the Apaches' exploits in the field.

Why do I think it too much a deviation from history, for a fantasy? Several reasons. Apart from the viewers' knowledge of history, there is nothing denoting it as a fantasy. It requires many deviations from history, so doesn't qualify as an interesting "What if?" No real higher points are made - it is all just about the finale, killing a lot of major Nazis, how much fun that is, nothing more. Kind of a young teenager's revenge fantasy. But of course, that is Tarantino...

I just watched Spike Lee's Miracle at St. Anna, in HD, on the Encore HD cable channel. I thought it was great! There are some superficial similarities to Inglourious Basterds, in that it involves Nazis, and revenge, but I thought Spike's film was far superior. It is historical fiction, based on the black "Buffalo Soldiers" in Italy, in WWII.

Started watching Dexter. After the first 3 episodes I think I'm hooked. It's a character driven show with some mystery thrown in for good measure. It's very well written and well acted so far.

On the movie front I saw Black Dynamite which was probably the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. It came out last year and it's modeled after the old blaxplotation films of the 70s. When it's bad it's meant to be bad and thus it's hilarious and when it's good it's really good. The preview doesn't do the movie justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-wqmnJrOFM

Wrapping up the second season of Veronica Mars. Two episodes left; I'm on the edge of my seat...

that's one of those shows i probably should watch, but never get round to, is it really as good as everyone says?

just watched the first episode of The Pacific, it was pretty good, it's no Thin Red Line but it's still pretty good.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back