• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Dollhouse

Re: New Joss Whedon show

Eliza does look hot in a psi Cop uniform Vacantlook. But just imagine another Whedon alum. Charisma Carpenter. Now that would be the sexiest Psi Cop around. That would make me not want to be a mundane.

Wow. That is amazing. An interesting approach to marketing.

I wonder how much commercial time is worth when they do have it. Or is it like a sponsor thing? Maybe if they have only one sponsor, it'll seem less necessary to have commercials all of the time?

Apparently the low quantity of ads is intended to be sort of an ad for the show... people hear about the fewer-ads thing, tune in because that's a draw, and then more people see the ads that are shown, making those ad companies more willing to fork out more up front. Also by singling out Dollhouse and Fringe they generate even more buzz for their new shows.

Next year is gonna be sweet.

NBC's national news also advertises "fewer commercial interruptions" or "limited commercial interruptions" or something like that. Somehow I'd expect it of a news show more than an entertainment show, but yea.

Wouldn't it be GREAT if this idea caught on for some of your better shows? :thumbsup:

I hate to trust Fox, but it really does seem different this time. It's definitely already gotten more support from the network than Firefly or Drive ever had, by a factor of ten.

Does anyone believe this could be a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. That many people will think to themselves "Fox always cancel good shows, so I won't bother watching it to get into it only for it to be cnacelled" and then because of low ratings it will get cancelled?

I'm not sure if enough people are going to think like that to significantly affect the ratings, but it's just a thought.

Does anyone believe this could be a sort of self-fulfilling prophecy. That many people will think to themselves "Fox always cancel good shows, so I won't bother watching it to get into it only for it to be cnacelled" and then because of low ratings it will get cancelled?

I'm not sure if enough people are going to think like that to significantly affect the ratings, but it's just a thought.

The thing about that is that not many people affect the ratings. The mount of people that actually have Nielson boxes is criminally low and really does not reflect the viewing public at all. There's also the fact that the Nielson Boxes don't take into account Tivo's or DVR's, and they say they never plan to. So for instance if I have a Nielson then it is saying that I watch nothing but the Cubs, The Patriots and the Red Wings. Because for my TV I always tape it and watch it later so I can skip the commercials.

Koshfan not at all, Hey i keep hyping The Star Rover By Jack London hoping to get more people to discover this wonderful unknown fantasy book. there is nothing wrong with having a passion for a show,Movie ,Book or whatever and sharing it with people. If you see something good ,tell the world and keep telling them for as long as they will listen and make no apologies for doing this.Its one way to make a difference in this world.

Last edited:

Eliza still looks like flith (the good kind) ;)

Even if it is full of his annoying super-smart dialogue, I can watch it with the sound off for her. Has he even finished his run on Astonishing X-Men yet ?

His dialogue is annoying?

I don't find it annoying in TV form, however in comics form I do. His run on Runaways was horrendous because of his usage of dialogue and his issues of the Buffy comic haven't been anywhere near as good as those done by Vaughn or Goddard because of the incessantly annoying, and sometimes out of character, dialogue. I don't know why but in comics he seems to let his dialogue go far too much.

Interesting. Maybe if people start saying that more often he'll pull another "Hush."

Hush is an episode where from a writing aspect I believe Joss got the job done perfectly. However as a director I think he made a few mistakes that stop the episode from being the perfect being that most fans take it as.

My biggest gripes would be usage of voices after Sunnydale can no longer speak. The scene of the kid dropping his coffee cup and the entire room freaking out because of the sudden reappearance of sound is powerful. However that is later counterbalanced when we hear the news reporter speak and Maggie Walsh's vocoder talk at the Initiative. Now, neither of these violated the rules of the Gentleman stealing everyone's voices or anything like that. But, I believe that adding those voices in helped to somewhat lessen the impact of the complete silence.

Don't get me wrong, its a really great episode, but that is the one aspect of it that has always bugged me.

The vocoder was set up as another example of the Scoobies' methods versus the Initiative's high-tech tricks. Part of the theme of the season.

I understand that, but I felt that it hurt the atmosphere and the tone of that episode, and realistically there was no way to help the theme of season 4 of Buffy. From the get go that season was a mess and is only saved by the stand alone non-Initiative episodes.

His dialogue is annoying?

I don't find it annoying. However, I don't find it in any way believable.

On Joss shows, everyone is as witty as GKE, or more so. That just isn't believable, fun as it may be.

OK,

I've been looking for the right place to make this comment, and this is as good as any, so I'll just say it.

I honestly don't get why everyone thinks Joss's dialogue is so "witty". Everyone this board seems to say that. All of his cronies on whedonesque say it. I think everyone says its super witty to the point of being unrealistic, mainly because that is what everyone else says.

Folks, I've seen Buffy, Angel, and Firefly all the way through. I don't remember any dialogue that is impossible or overly witty.

I'll tell you what is true. The dialogue in those shows is probably a different type of dialogue than a lot of people are capable of, but that doesnt make things unrealistic. The fact of the matter is that there are PLENTY of people out there who can drop pop-culture references on a dime. Who can think of funny and witty comebacks. Not to toot my own horn, but I'm one of them. I have a LOT of friends who can. From hanging with GKE in Vegas, he is one as well. My former boss could drop references like you wouldn't believe. He would put Joss to shame with the stuff he could come up with. It is just a DIFFERENT type of humor. And having a group of people who all talk/speak like that isn't unrealistic. People of similar likes and personalities do tend to be drawn together. Hence New Years Eve party at my friend Tim's house could play like a Whedon show at some times (without the Vampire slayage).

On the flip side, people with that type of personality/sense of humor tend to usually suck at stand up humor, or initiating that sort of humorous dialogue themselves. I can't walk into a room and make people laugh. But when participating in a conversation or a social setting, I and a few friends of mine can feed off each other and make things funnier/wittier, etc. This is the type of dialoge Joss's shows tend to have.

There is nothing different, or unique, or unrealistic about it. It is just really really over-hyped by Whedon fans IMO. That said, it doesn't make it less fun to watch. I just tend to tune most Whedon fans out because their fan-boyishness is really really annoying. Sorry Koshfan, but yes, you fall into that group to me. When you make comments like "Whedon is my Master" that is exactly the type of thing I'm talking about. Aside from that, you are an OK guy though. ;)

Last edited:
Back