• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Sci Fi TV (USA)

Back in 2003, jms told us about how despite the Sci Fi Channel thought Polaris was the best written project they had in development at the time, they were going to pass on it because it was too science-fictiony and instead make Bloodsuckers, which is about space vampires. Took them a while since 2003, but Bloodsuckers did get made. Now, I think vampire stories can be fun, but I'm seriously not interested in this. Is anyone here interested?

Back in 2003, jms told us about how despite the Sci Fi Channel thought Polaris was the best written project they had in development at the time, they were going to pass on it because it was too science-fictiony and instead make Bloodsuckers, which is about space vampires. Took them a while since 2003, but Bloodsuckers did get made. Now, I think vampire stories can be fun, but I'm seriously not interested in this. Is anyone here interested?

I, too, think vampire stories can be fun, but I'm not interested in this one.

"On Earth, vampires ruled the night.
In space, they've reigned supreme.
..."

Why? How? :confused: On Earth, they can't take the light of the sun. So, in space, they're exposed to how many stars?

Maybe they can reign supreme if they never get close to any star or its inhabited planets. Better avoid any binary star systems, or they'd be really screwed. Just imagine if they'd gotten stranded on the "Pitch Black" planet. What was it, 27 years without a sunset?

Intergalactic? They travel between galaxies?

Who thinks this stuff up?

I know you aren't talking about a summer movie, but: :devil:

NonSequiturSummerMovies.gif

But then again I stopped watching the sci-fi channel a long time ago. I keep meaning to check out BSG, but then I forget. :eek:

I know you aren't talking about a summer movie, but: :devil:

NonSequiturSummerMovies.gif

That's a keeper :) (no B5 ref, intended).

But then again I stopped watching the sci-fi channel a long time ago. I keep meaning to check out BSG, but then I forget. :eek:

DVDs are the way to go. What I used to spend on cable, now goes to my DVD collection (both TV series and movies).

Hee hee, I really liked that one, too. :)

I'd miss my local news. I am in an area that gets no reception, so it's cable or rather iffy sattellite. :(

I'm addicted to the local news. :eek:

Good question. None, really. Theoretically, there are areas of town that get some radio reception, but I've never gotten as far as Tucson with my portable tape players. I would have more luck finding them on the internet, actually.

Sci Fi is one of the things that got cut out as not worth the time.

You can also use netflix if you don't want to buy cd's.

I'm catching up on the first season of Arrested Development now, I started watching during the second.

Sci Fi is one of the things that got cut out as not worth the time.

In my case, all of cable got cut out as not worth the time (which I have very little of, to watch TV) or money. I can barely keep up with my shows on the one channel I can ~sort of~ get, CBS*). In fact, Comcast just offered me Basic + Extended + Digital cable + HBO for a year at the guaranteed price of $24.95/month, and I didn't go for it. Just to give you an idea, I was paying $49/month for Basic + Extended when I last had cable about a year ago.

*Actually, I also get NBC, but it has nothing I like.

SciFi strikes again.

One would think that the SciFiChannel would exist to show science fiction. Often they throw horror and fantasy programming into the mix, which can be understandable sometimes. But the real slap in the face comes when they try to pass off something like The Flintstones or Braveheart as scifi.

Well, I just saw an advertisement on the channel for the next film they're going to try and pass off as if it belonged on a channel called Sci Fi:...

Liar Liar staring Jim Carey. Oh feel the science! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Brave Heart is Fantasy, isn't it, so nothing wrong with that. But, yea, Flintstones and Liar Liar are just wrong for SciFi Channel.

A weekend or so ago, they had a really poignant commercial "Tracy Lords heads a day of Disasters". I think they meant disaster movies, not disastrous, but, it was hilarious hearing the commercial.

No, I don't think that Braveheart is fantasy. There isn't anything "fantastic" / magical / super-natural going on in Braveheart. It's "historical fiction". Or are you seriously going to claim that Wallace seeing his dead wife when he is being tortured to death and reaches a hallucinatory state is sufficient cause to cast the whole thing as being in the fantasy genre.

Actually, as much as I dislike SciFi's definition of what they broadcast, I would have to say Liar, Liar fits their definition. They basically say that anything remotely paranormal or super-natural meets their criteria. The whole premise of Liar, Liar is that Carey's character is magically (literally) forced to tell the truth as the fulfillment of his kid's birthday wish.

Like I said, I hate definition that SciFi has decided to use as their benchmark. However, I would have to say that Liar, Liar meets their benchmark ...... much moreso than Braveheart.

Aaahh, OK.

I suspect that you may be thinking of Dragonheart, where Sean Connery did the voice of the dragon. I never got around to seeing that one, but I think that it was sort of a swords-and-sorcery version of Skin Game.

Braveheart was the one where Mel Gibson plays William Wallace, fighting for Scottish independence from the English.

Liar Liar staring Jim Carey. Oh feel the science! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

This is probably why I miss most of what is the current, decent sci-fi on our airs today.

I hardly remember what channel skiffy is on anymore. What little good they show I just tend to forget. :eek:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back