• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

From one to one hundred - how do you rate the movie?

A 90. I liked the characters, didn't like the weapons system and started to cringe ever time I heard the catch phrase. All in all, however, it was very enjoyable and I can't wait for the series. I intend to write a real letter to SFC and ask for it. Perhaps if they hear from enough of us, it might help.

------------------

Do you have an address for the SFC? And should we all be flooding them with letters requesting a Ranger series?

------------------
God be between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.

I'd give it a... (dramatic pause) 70. I liked the Liandra, but the weapons system seemed kinda, no, forget kinda, VERY corny. I like the idea, but the impementation (Sarah going crazy and screaming as she lashed her limbs in all directions), for lack of a better term, sucked. Also, the acting seemed rather cardboard at times, but I don't know if that was the actor's fault, or the writer's fault. Too much "We live for the One, we die for the One" crap. I mean, sure, it's great for when they're about to ram the ship, or to drive home a point, but does it have to be repeated soooo often? Big plus: G'kar. Andreas gave his usual excellent performance, and stole the show from the others, but I didn't think that he was on par with the stuff he did for B5, but then, what is? Bottom line: I was underwhelmed, but it's still WAY better than any other stuff out there, I've been spoiled by B5, so above-average doesn't cut it any more.

------------------
Religion is the opiate of the masses.
-Marx

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StarStuff:

Do you have an address for the SFC? And should we all be flooding them with letters requesting a Ranger series?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ms. Bonnie Hammer
President
Sci-Fi Channel
1230 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10020-1513

Tom Olson
VP, Advertising Sales
Sci-Fi Channel
New York, NY 10020

This information is quite old, though. From May 2001

------------------
"The Bible is a book: it is a good book, but is is not the only book" - Inherit the Wind

"I do not believe that the same God who
has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."—Galileo

hypatia@b5fan.b5lr.com

I also give it a 85-90. As it was only a pilot, I understand the lack of character development, but what was done was good. Way to go, guys!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Ms. Bonnie Hammer
President
Sci-Fi Channel
New York, NY 10020-1513<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oooh, NYC? Maybe I'll personally deliver a letter saying how happy I was with it sometime.
laugh.gif

------------------
"There's always hope, because it's the one thing nobody's figured out how to kill yet." - Galen

I give it 90. Very good show, I was not disappointed. I want to see more. MORE !!!!!
cool.gif
This will make an excellent series.
smile.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
Remember dear readers, you heard it here first. Off the record, on the Q.T., and very hush-hush - Danny DeVito as Sid Hudgens in L.A. Confidential

I'm thinking a 100 would be good. Then again, I'm a little biased after getting to know the cast a bit from them posting here and going to their chats at SCIFI.com.
laugh.gif

------------------
Dulann: You don't solve your problems by hitting them.
David Martel: Yeah, well, it made me feel better.

[This message has been edited by RW7427 (edited January 20, 2002).]

Since I hate to actually think about these things, I'll give it a 100! There were a few rough spots, but then again, what doesn't have rough spots?

*lights the drapes ablaze in celebration*

Huzzah!
lol.gif

------------------
"I have seen what power does, and I have seen what power costs. The one is never equal to the other." --G'Kar "Epiphanies"

"Yeah, just drink some juice like a wuss. And then gawk at the piano lady" --Ward

I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!
100- ALL THE WAY!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

------------------
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want
to test a man's character, give him power."
-- Abraham Lincoln

------------------
KoshN
-------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM & 11PM EST, January 20, 2002 at 5PM on The Sci-Fi Channel (US).
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/

I'd rate it between 90 and 95...it was pretty damn good, but I'm hesitant to give it 100, 'cause if this goes to series and JMS is true to form, the 100's (and 110's and 120's like Severed Dreams and Z'Ha'Dum) are still to come!
wink.gif

------------------
Wipster

"Live Long in Prosser"

The good:

Cast interactions, especially between Dulann and David.

Andreas Katsulas as G'kar. Can we give this guy his own 5 year series (B5: The Legend of G'kar
smile.gif
), please?

Minions of the hand. Fittingly creepy voice and appearance.

Some very good humour from G'kar, David and Dulann (oh and loved Sarah's "... fairly sure it's gonna miss us!" lines from the Comet sequence").

Comet and hyperspace CGI.

The Bad:

Ship designs.
Liandra? Nothing special, nothing special at all. Give me a white star or an earth destroyer please.
The Valen? A brick with an engine attached indeed.
The minion's of the hand ships? Black starfish in space.

Jumpgate sequence, not too terrible, but worse then the one in "A Call to Arms".

The UGLY:
Sarah's screaming in the pod while clearing the mines. Cheesy, really cheesy.

The VR weapons pod. The concept doesn't work, not with fireballs coming out of hands and feet. And kicking?
Let's hope this concept gets the same transformation in the series as Minbary makeup did after "The Gathering".

Ghosts storyline. Do we really need to have the paranormal in a B5 universe storyline? I admit it was done well enough, but i cringe every time i think of ghosts in an otherwise very technological atmosphere.
Somehow, in my mind, Babylon 5 and Ghosts can't mix
frown.gif

The spy's makeup. Why are we back to Babylon 5 season ONE quality makeup? If they could make the hand's minions look that good, why then make the spy look like a porcupine?

And the very worst one:

"We live for the one, we die for the one"
"We live for the on ...

Tired? I was too!

------------------
"I walk, i shop, i sneeze. I'll be a fireman when the floods roll back. There's trees in the desert since you moved out ... and i don't sleep on a bed of bones."

I will have to give it an 80.

I am hesitant about being too enthusiastic or too harsh. Some aspects of the movie worked really well for me. Other parts fell flat.

Frizzell

------------------
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in a confederacy against him."
-Jonathan Swift

"Good in theory...
Lousy in practice...
It implies that I am expendable. I am many things. I am bright, personable, charismatic and not a bad dancer but expendable? No."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>The spy's makeup. Why are we back to Babylon 5 season ONE quality makeup? If they could make the hand's minions look that good, why then make the spy look like a porcupine?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll agree with most of your other complaints, but I thought that Minister Kafta's look was rather cool.
laugh.gif

------------------
"I have seen what power does, and I have seen what power costs. The one is never equal to the other." --G'Kar "Epiphanies"

"Yeah, just drink some juice like a wuss. And then gawk at the piano lady" --Ward

I'd give it a 78. Good foundation to build a series (and dammit, I really want a new series), but some things need tweaking.

------------------

Solid B+ or 88. The biggest detractor was the weps. As long as we've got a neural interface, let's use it to speed up targeting and acquisition to "the minds eye" so to speak rather than the time to get your karate groove on...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> I agree with David's "we don't have to die stupidly" remark. So why try to please an organization that has foolish rules about not retreating and saving your entire crew's life? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[shakes encounter suited head] You do not understand [glides out]

------------------

Back