• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Coming Attractions!

StarStuff

Regular
We went to the movies yesterday and sat through 10 minutes of commericals, Levi's, coke, etc. Arn't tickets and snack prices high enough? Now we have to pay to watch commercials. Then we sat through endless and I mean endless coming attractions. The movie began 25 minutes after the posted time!

BUT, :) we did see one coming attraction that looks great . . . "The Day After Tomorrow," a world-wide disaster theme made by the same people who made "Independence Day." It's scheduled for a Memorial Day release.

They have a web site with trailers that you can view. Can someone post the link? Thanks.

I know! And you can't come later, because then it's hard to find seats, especially good seats. You just sit there for half-an-hour, and then by the time the movie starts you're all pissed off. And now it seems like they make movies longer and longer. Add parking and commuting time, and it's like 5 hours to go the movies.

I'm personally not big on disaster movies. My life's a goddamn disaster, I don't need to pay 10 bucks and 5 hours to see a flashier one.

I know! And you can't come later, because then it's hard to find seats, especially good seats.
Hmh... maybe that's why you Americans don't have assigned seating? :D

I'd hate that kind of system .. I'd much rather either book the tickets beforehand or stop by at the cinema earlier in the day to make sure I get just the seat I want. And not have to rush later on. :D

The preliminaries do take forever to get through before the movie starts. What we did to make it bearable was to loudly mock each of the really crappy ads for a laugh.

I must admit that I have not been able to get early to a movie session in the last 10 years due to my partner, who is not able to get anywhere on time!

:) we did see one coming attraction that looks great . . . "The Day After Tomorrow," a world-wide disaster theme made by the same people who made "Independence Day." It's scheduled for a Memorial Day release.

They have a web site with trailers that you can view. Can someone post the link? Thanks.

The trailer can be found at http://www.thedayaftertomorrowmovie.com/

For those who don't have flash, you can go directly to http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/dayaftertomorrow/

I have to say that I'm really looking forward to this movie as well! By the way, did anyone know that Tamlyn Tomita is going to be in this movie?! :D According to IMDB.com she is one of seven people in the "credited cast" so maybe she'll have some decent screen time (isn't the order of the list an indication of screen time?). The IMDB listing for the Day After Tomorrow can be found at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319262/.

Thanks Recoil and drakh for the links. The movie has great special effects - hope they remember to have a story!

If you can make the first movie showing of the day most theatres (in north New Jersey, USA) charge only $5.00. And, you usually have your choice of seats so you don't have to rush.

I checked to see who Tamlyn Tomita is and see that she was Laurel in B5's "The Gathering."

I just book beforehand, and I can then turn up after the adverts and trailers. However, although adverts are annoying, I like trailers. Add to the movie experience.

I can sympathize about all those awful ads. That is the kind of thing I go to movies to get away from. I have an idea, that I have yet to carry out, about how to deal with them. In the US megaplexes, there is never a projectionist watching, so... I want to get a helium-filled mylar balloon, with a long string. I would go to the back of the theater, directly below the projection window, and let the balloon rise until it blocks the offending commercial projection. In some theaters, they may actually use a separate projector, through a separate hole, for the commercials. In that case, you could tape the balloon's string to the wall, and walk away, leaving the commercials blocked, until theater personel actually noticed!

I rarely have trouble getting the seat I want in the theater, because I like to sit in the center of the front row, and few others do.

Ah, the neck pain! :eek:
And the eye strain. :(

The few times I do go to the movies these days I usually plan to see a movie that has been out for awhile already. And, when committee meetings cooperate, I can make it there with a friend on Friday when we don't have scheduled classes. :cool:

When you have a friend with you it's also easy to have them save a seat for you, you can then go out during the 25 minutes of commercials and get to the restroom if you need, buy some drinks, even play video games or whatever until the movie is about to start. My friend actually did play about 10 minutes of video games just to avoid all of the preiews and commercials.

We get cheap tickets down here. But aren't most movies about 8 or 9 dollars now? How can they justify making you sit through commercials when you are shelling out that kind of money?

I slouch, so no neck pain. I'm a little near-sighted, no eye strain. I have really good peripheral vision, but sitting close, it feels like you are in the action, and it is going on all around you, and you naturally turn your head side to side as things go on in the film. Those people who sit in back of the house ought to save their money, and wait to see it until it is on TV, where it will seem the same size! :D :p :D I usually go with a friend too, and sometimes they sit a row or two behind. I like to go to matinees, when the price is cheaper.

I generally don't mind the commercials, and trailers can be kinda cool. But lately I have also had to sit through anti-piracy PSAs. They are so annoying that I feel an instant desire to run out and download a half-dozen movies just to strike back at such nuisances.

And when I went to see Master and Commander, the screen also displayed a message warning against videotaping the movie and that should customers see someone doing so, they should alert the theatre staff.

I don't object to trailers for coming attractions one bit, it's those stupid commercials, like TV, but LONGER, that I hate!

I don't mind the trailers - they can be interesting. But te commercials ... !

I don't know how things are in the States or England, but here they often have "public messages" commercials at the movies. Usually, it's something about speeding or drunk-driving.

Here, it now costs $13 NZ to go to the movies at peaktime [evening sesssions, weekends]. Some cinemas do offer reduced admission for afternoon sessions on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Not having a lot of money, I pick very carefully the movies I go to see at the cinema. I check out the movie, see what kind of reviews it has had - on "Rotten Tomatoes" before I go and see it. I had been planning to go and see Matrix: Revolutions but after seeing the kind of rating it got, decided not to. Is it as dreadful as they say it is? I will see it at some point - after it turns up at my local video rental. Also, when I do to the movies, I usually wait until the fuss has died down, and it has been going a few weeks, before I do go.
However, I have broken all my rules this week. I am going to the midnight premiere of Return of the King

I remember the good old days when all they showed before movies were trailers for future movies. I hate having to sit through all those dumbass commercials, which seem to be more for Pepsi and Mountain Dew and automobiles. On more than one occasion they've shown the same commercials twice before a movie.

The trailers I can deal with. I love seeing what's going to come out in the near future. It seems to me that they're showing less trailers now, for the most part because of those commercials. I don't see movies in the theater too often anymore, maybe five or six a year at the most.

Anybody else have the awful Regal Cinemas in their area?

Not only do they charge $9.50 a movie, but they've instituted a live-action space-filler before the movie. No longer do we get to watch slide shows with muzak and stupid movie trivia, no, now we have REAL COMMERCIALS and ADS FOR TV SHOWS from the time we sit down to the time the movie stars, and then we have 10 minutes of MORE COMMERCIALS and then PREVIEWS and it takes up to 30 minutes.

I have begun to hate going to the movies.

Not only do they charge $9.50 a movie, but they've instituted a live-action space-filler before the movie. No longer do we get to watch slide shows with muzak and stupid movie trivia, no, now we have REAL COMMERCIALS and ADS FOR TV SHOWS from the time we sit down to the time the movie stars, and then we have 10 minutes of MORE COMMERCIALS and then PREVIEWS and it takes up to 30 minutes.

I have begun to hate going to the movies.
I've got news for ya, dear... they're all starting to do it now. :(

We have mostly AMC Theaters around here, and they do it too. The Regal Cinema that's still left in this area does it, but nobody ever goes there anymore, really... In fact, the only theaters left that don't show TV ads and commercials are the privately-run local theaters.

Sinclair said:
I remember the good old days when all they showed before movies were trailers for future movies.

I don't remember this (I'm not that old) but the reason the previews for upcomig films are called trailers is because they showed after the main feature. Nowadays, it's a scramble for the doors as soon as the credits roll.

The only movies I went to the theater to see in the past few years were the Lord of the Rings films. Those just have to be seen on a big screen.

Unless this is very recent, Regal Cinemas isn't doing that everywhere (at least, not yet). We have Regal Cinemas here, but tickets are just $8.25, and student discount knocks that down to $6. And we still get the music and movie trivia.

Back