• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A suggestion for Beyond the Rim

StarStuff

Regular
I've noticed that on other sites, at the end of an article it will say something like, "click here to go to the Message Board for discussion." Is this something that could be added to the bottom of your 'Beyond the Rim' articles? In this way readers could go directly to a Forum on the Message Board to discuss the topic or ask questions, etc.

'TV is frelled up' is a great article.

You know, I think I'd like to second that suggestion. Since there is a lot to discuss in all of the BTR articles that you write, Antony, that seems like a great idea to me.

You could keep the link to the BTR index, and just have another one above it or below it.

Then we could mouth off about our opinions on your opinions. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well if you remember back to when the site started, news articles were posted at the board, and the front page linked to those posts.

That was old UBB though, and new UBB is a whole different beast. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif It is something I'd like to do though, and as you're interested it does give me extra incentive.

I'm actually making heavy changes to both the board and news admin. The latter I'm work on today in fact. It's not the link up with the UBB, but it's something that (if I can pull it off) will offer a greater cohesion between all the news and stuff.

The board is a project that is just never quite done, isn't it, Antony? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

In reality, if we wanted to have a thread based on the news articles, we could just open one. I'm speaking from sheer laziness when I say that would be a good idea. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It's like the automatic quote feature. It's not as if we all can't copy and paste and put it in quote marks. But the lazy computer person part of me would love to see a short-cut. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

In reality, these are pretty minor points.

It might increase participation. Didn't I see something on my E-mail from Antony saying that "Beyond the Rim" was very popular? Maybe this would be a way to get those who stop by the site just to read the articles to jump into the message board and become members.

And vice versa, to get you lot to the front page. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yeah, BTR is popular. Who knows why. My ramblings should turn people away. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well my work today on the news system has already made some good progress. Trouble is that my knowledge of PHP holds me back. I'm reading a book now, which is cool (but I already know most of so far) and I want to keep jumping ahead in my knowledge. So I have hit an impass, and need to work it out. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But good progress none the less.

I think most people would like more updates, instead of me tinkering on things. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Then again I hope to get the admin system so smooth that I, and anyone else who adds news, can do it in a breeze. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Perhaps a forum for news article discussions would be an idea.

Oh, and Im gonna be learning PHP for my course before this year is out Ant, so if you need any help feel free to give us a call.

But a forum just for news didn't work before, so I'm not sure that it would work now.

Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back