• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Questions for Ambassador Joseph DeMartino

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by En'til'zha:
You seem to be gathering quite a cult of personality, maybe soon you'll have to go into hiding.

Just don't let it go to your head.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But that's what cults of personality are all about! Look at Che, Kim Il Sung, Mao, and Oprah.

Hey, Joe, if you still want a job as a novell admin, you could always come and work for my employer. True, that would mean that you would have to live in North Dakota...and you would be a state employee.....you know, nevermind. Nobody wants a job THAT badly.

------------------
It is said that the civilized man seeks out good and intelligent company, so that by learned discourse, he may rise above the savage, and be closer to God. Personally, however, I like to start the day with a total dickhead to remind me that I'm best.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>North Dakota... and you would be a state employee<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Another month or two of this and a state job in North Dakota is going to start to look good...
smile.gif

Nah, if I were going to move to where the jobs are it would be Boston, or D.C. or Atlanta. (All of which of I've spent time in, and which are really nice places.)

But most of my family is here now, I bought a house a year and a half ago and would hate to have to sell it, and I left New York because I was sick and tired of dealing with the winters. (I had days when, between the snow and the train schedules, I couldn't get to my office in Manhattan before one or two in the afternoon, after leaving the house at six! Twice I arrived only to be told that the office was closing early because it was still snowing and people were worried about getting home. So I'd walk twenty blocks back to Grand Central, spend another hour or more on the train and then struggle up into the icy, snow-covered hills.
smile.gif
) I don't want to do that anymore.

Cult of personality, eh? Pity I can't get a religious cult started. I hear they pay better.
laugh.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Cult of personality, eh? Pity I can't get a religious cult started. I hear they pay better.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, it worked for ElRon and the Church of Scientific Ology.

I've even talked to a couple of the people who were Present when the Bar Bet was made.
blush.gif
It really did start out that way.

"I bet I could start my own religion..."

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.
Shall we exchange Recipes?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bakana:
Well, it worked for ElRon and the Church of Scientific Ology.

I've even talked to a couple of the people who were Present when the Bar Bet was made.
blush.gif
It really did start out that way.

"I bet I could start my own religion..."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that L.Ron Hubbord, or whatever? I could swear I heard he used to be a serious scifi author, and then got into this religious thing. Anyone know if he ever wrote scifi?

A bar bet wouldn't amaze me that much, actually. I heard that a member of the group "Devo" came up with the 'Church of Bob' or something like that. (And was amazed that some response came. I think that church is no more, though!)
crazy.gif

------------------
"Why not? Only 1 Human captain has ever survived battle with the Minbari fleet. He is behind me, you are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Well, it worked for ElRon and the Church of Scientific Ology.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was actually in the back of my mind when I wrote that. The problem is that I'm not nearly cynical enough for something like that.
smile.gif
I think you really have to be pond scum to knowingly perpetrate that kind of fraud on people, hitting them where they are most vulnerable.

That's why people like John Edwards piss me off so badly. I've studied enough of those clowns that I'm sure with a couple of months practice I could do the "cold reading" act about as well as he does it. It isn't terribly hard, because the "mark" does most of the work for you. But I just couldn't bring myself to do something like that. If I ever got that desperate for money, I think I'd try armed robbery first.
laugh.gif
It somehow seems more honest, and at least you're risking actual consequences if something goes wrong. Hubbard and Edwards have been exposed countless times, but the money never stopped rolling in.

Besides, I believe in God and I'm pretty sure the worldly success would not be worth going to Hell over.
smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

------------------
Joseph DeMartino
Sigh Corps
Pat Tallman Division

joseph-demartino@att.net

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
Originally posted by Joseph DeMartino.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well you know what they say, the quickest way to get rich is to found a religeon.

------------------
"Watch the Shadows, they move when you're not looking..."

Joe, you have a problem dealing with winters and you would move to Boston? heh.

You should come, we'll hold big B5 screenings and annoy everyone with our social comparisons and "this was originally supposed to be Takashima..." nonsense.
smile.gif

John Edwards is funny, but I get too disgusted and I can't watch more than a minute or two. Because of Crossing Over, I now have a love/hate relationship with sci-fi channel. Do I feel comfortable with the existence of another scientology for the sake of my Babylon 5?

It's the sci-fi channel. Yet Crossing Over is presented as if it's supposed to be real. So is it trying to pass itself off as real or not? I'm so confused.

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

Hypatia-

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Is that L.Ron Hubbord, or whatever? I could swear I heard he used to be a serious scifi author, and then got into this religious thing. Anyone know if he ever wrote scifi? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you see that John Travolta dog, "Battlefield Earth" last year? It was based on L.Ron Hubbard's book of the same name.

Is it me or am I the only one that would rather see Battlestar Galactica or Buck Rogers in place of John Edwards?

"Does someone here have a loved one who died who was named.....John? Oh yeah, they say Hi. And they are talking about this one time you went with them someplace...."

See ANYONE can do it!
wink.gif

------------------
"During a witch hunt, don't get caught wearing a pointy hat."

My brother recommended the book "Battleship Earth." The book was't bad - if you can take the hero saving everyone on every page.

My brother then called and said whatever you do don't go to the movie and don't consider renting it - ever!

------------------
God be between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Valen2k1:
Hypatia-

Did you see that John Travolta dog, "Battlefield Earth" last year? It was based on L.Ron Hubbard's book of the same name.

Is it me or am I the only one that would rather see Battlestar Galactica or Buck Rogers in place of John Edwards?

"Does someone here have a loved one who died who was named.....John? Oh yeah, they say Hi. And they are talking about this one time you went with them someplace...."

See ANYONE can do it!
wink.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, of course. I think my mind has a psi-block when it comes to that movie. I never saw it, but it still makes me shudder to think of it!

And is was Harlan Ellison in an interview by Robin Williams, I believe, where Harlan mentioned that LRon was a pretty GOOD sci fi writer before he went to "all that religious crap" or something like that.

Sorry if I offend any scientologists out there. Just my opinion.

------------------
"I do not believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense,
reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."-- Galileo

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR> Sorry if I offend any scientologists out there. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's OK, I'll do it for you:

F**k Scientology!

I tried reading Dianetics for kicks, but I had the same reaction as I did to John Edward described in an earlier post.

Opinions, beliefs, and faith are fine, but come on, scientology?

------------------
"You do not make history. You can only hope to survive it."

[This message has been edited by SwiftBiscuit (edited July 25, 2001).]

I've read some of ElRon's stuff from before Dianetics and the Bar Bet.

He was mediocre at best.

"His" books stay on the shelves because the Church owns the publishing company.
And because they send church members out to the bookstores to buy copies of the books. They bring them back to the church, the church sends the copies back to the Warehouse which then ships them out to Another Bookstore to be sold again.

I heard about this from friends who used to work at Walden Books. They occasionally got copies of ElRon's stuff from the publisher that still had the receipts from Other Book Chains still in them.
crazy.gif

A few years back, there was a Big flap during the Hugo voting process when a large number of votes for an ElRon book as "best novel" arrived. All paid for with sequentially numbered money orders. The vote counters came to the conclusion that all the money orders were purchased by The Same Person, at the same time. Since the ballots were also all mailed in the same Post Office on the same day, they concluded that someong associated with the publishing company was trying to buy the book a Hugo.

The flap was over whether they were right or wrong to disqualify the votes. And over whether or not the publisher had Really tried to buy the award.

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

If you want to read probably the most Negative stuff about the "church" try
http://www.lisamcpherson.org/

It's about the death of Lisa McPherson in 1995 while she was supposedly being "cared for" by the church.

She had reportedly been trying to Quit Scientology and they were "helping" her with her "crisis of faith".

------------------
Yes, I like cats too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back