B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old August 8th 14, 23:39   #61
Lyta's Shadow
Lurker

Re: B5 Feature Film to be scriptedTRUE! There will be a feature film going into produ

If this new movie or series of movies violates what has gone on before, then I will be unhappy. Until we have more details let's not assume the worst.

I am still not entirely enamoured with the new Trek films, the whole "sweeping the board clean" approach is on some level quite disrespectful, especially when the movies themselves don't necessarily use that to tell fresh stories but only rehash old plots. But that's another discussion!

JMS is the one behind this production so I am sure no-one would be more interested in protecting what has gone on before than him.
Lyta's Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th 14, 00:37   #62
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: B5 Feature Film to be scriptedTRUE! There will be a feature film going into produ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republibot 3.0 View Post
Rebooting it for a movie, though? This seems misguided. Compressing 110 hours of story into 6 hours of screen time told over the course of 6 years or so. I dunno, I read that and I feel something break inside me, and I think it might just be one revival attempt too far.
Where did you get the 6 hours of screen time over the course of 6 years or so? It's certainly nothing JMS has said in the past several years.

Why not just see what he does? And for those who're interested, I've transcribed the relevant portions of JMS' spotlight panel where he made the announcement.

http://jmsnews.com/forums/showpost.p...&postcount=129

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th 14, 04:51   #63
hypatia
First One

Is this some kind of brilliantly timed, nerd-focussed April Fool's day joke?

It took me 15 years to give up hoping for more Babylon 5. Was THAT the secret to getting it back?

Yipeeeeeeeeeee. If it turns out to be true.

Phooooey. If it's not.

Last edited by hypatia; August 9th 14 at 04:53.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th 14, 06:38   #64
ranger phil
Ranger

oh it's true alright.

interesting to see how he handles it. will he tackle one of the major story arcs, or one of the minor ones? How's he going to mix it up? with more money he can do all the things he wants without having to worry about restrictions. so much scope for a brilliant movie.
Old August 9th 14, 10:52   #65
Psi Cop
Ranger

Send a message via Skype™ to Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
Is this some kind of brilliantly timed, nerd-focussed April Fool's day joke?

It took me 15 years to give up hoping for more Babylon 5. Was THAT the secret to getting it back?

Yipeeeeeeeeeee. If it turns out to be true.

Phooooey. If it's not.

I agree 150,000%
Old August 9th 14, 20:52   #66
JonFrain
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger phil View Post
oh it's true alright.

interesting to see how he handles it. will he tackle one of the major story arcs, or one of the minor ones? How's he going to mix it up? with more money he can do all the things he wants without having to worry about restrictions. so much scope for a brilliant movie.
Seems like no matter what he does it would have to be geared as the beginning of a series and ending with a cliffhanger.

I'm actually quite baffled at how he can reboot with a standalone film. Focusing on a Station was a great idea for a budget conscious TV show, but seems limiting in terms of a film.

It's really too bad that they never got funded for the TV show reboot. My hope would be for WB to find a distributor for a TV reboot and get JMS to cancel the film.
JonFrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th 14, 20:55   #67
JonFrain
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:
Rebooting it for a movie, though? This seems misguided. Compressing 110 hours of story into 6 hours of screen time told over the course of 6 years or so. I dunno, I read that and I feel something break inside me, and I think it might just be one revival attempt too far.
Where did you get the 6 hours of screen time over the course of 6 years or so? It's certainly nothing JMS has said in the past several years.

Why not just see what he does? And for those who're interested, I've transcribed the relevant portions of JMS' spotlight panel where he made the announcement.

Jan
Thanks for the link. I'm impressed that he wouldn't use crowd sourcing as a source of funding. There are only two properties I'd consider helping to fund in such a way and that's B5 and Farscape either for TV/Film/Game. So maybe he'll reconsider at some point as fans really do want to feel like they can help resurrect a beloved property.

Tons of shows have done the character switch that he refers to. Farscape did it well. WB sure is a mess.
JonFrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th 14, 04:01   #68
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
It's in the "Echoes of all our conversations" interview books. Bill Mumy August 5th 1997:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mumy
When I read that Lennier was toasted as one who had fallen [in Sleeping in Light], at first I tried to appeal that. I went to Joe and said, "Does he have to die?" and Joe said, "He dies in the great telepath war. He'll die like a hero, and it's way down the line; it's two movies down the line." I said, "Yeah, but he has to die?" and Joe said, "Yes, he's dying. He'll die like a hero and it will be great death, and it's after the fifth season" and blah blah blah.

That's Lennier's fate: he dies in the great telepath war somewhere down the line in the future.
Fair enough, that does seem to indicate that by the time of season four, the telepath war was not meant to be in the series, if it ever was. I do feel that is a shame, but never mind.
I don't claim to know Joe's mind, but I know a lot of writers, and I'm an amateur myself. Regardless of the original plan (Which was the 10-year B5/BP arc in this case), things slide around a lot. You paint yourself into a corner, or a better idea appears, or you get an unrelated moment of inspiration that changes the whole thing or - frequently - ugly, stupid reality kicks in.

In this case, I think it was ugly stupid reality. I honestly believe the Telepath arc was intended to be *INSIDE* B5 (or B5/BP) all along. Then we get into season 4, and it becomes increasingly obvious that they're not going to get a season 5. So JMS has to start brutally choosing what he's going to keep and what he simply doesn't have room for. For instance, remember how the middle part of S4 was set up to revolve around Clarke's four plans to subvert and retake the station? And then that was just dropped, and we switched to the war to retake earth? Yeah. Those *HAD* to be resolved. Stuff with the Drakh and Telepath hadn't really gotten going yet, so he dropped it.

When he DID get a 5th season, I suspect he tried to fill it in with leftover stuff, but for a variety of reasons it didn't work. I have theories on these reasons as well.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th 14, 04:03   #69
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyta's Shadow View Post
If this new movie or series of movies violates what has gone on before, then I will be unhappy. Until we have more details let's not assume the worst.

I am still not entirely enamoured with the new Trek films, the whole "sweeping the board clean" approach is on some level quite disrespectful, especially when the movies themselves don't necessarily use that to tell fresh stories but only rehash old plots. But that's another discussion!

JMS is the one behind this production so I am sure no-one would be more interested in protecting what has gone on before than him.
Actually, JMS was the first one to suggest the whole "Wiping the Trek-slate clean" thing with paramount. Paramount rejected the idea out of hand.

I actually like the "Old characters, new destinies" idea, and didn't hate the 2nd one the way I figured it was. It was pitched as a remake (needless) of Wrath of Khan, but it really wasn't. If it was a remake of anything, it was "Space Seed."

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
Old August 10th 14, 04:11   #70
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:

Jan
Realistically speaking, with the full force of a major studio behind it, it takes about three years to make a major effects picture. There's about 3 years between Bond films, Star Wars films, etc. Writing, preproduction, casting, production, editing, scoring, merchandising, it's involved. 3 years is about the average. You can step that up a bit as Warners did with Harry Potter, or New Line did with LOTR, but in both cases the studios nearly killed themselves.

So let's say B5: The Movie comes out in 2016. Realistically, you're not going to see B5:II: Armed and Fabulous until 2019, and B53: Electric Boogaloo until 2022. It's just the state of the industry. There's actually 9 years of production in there, but from an audience point of view, the clock starts with the first film, so it's 6 years to us.

As to the run time of movies? Standard length is 2 hours. Comedies generally run 90 minutes. Epics run 150 to 180 minutes, but studios and theaters don't like to do epics if they can avoid it (Apart from a brief trend some years back) because they can't show a movie as many times in a day, and hence don't make as much money off of it.

So my whole surmise was based on the more-or-less standard model of movie economics.

Kevin Long