B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.related

Old October 30th 13, 21:07   #11
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: one down..... now lets have one stateside,

I've been kind of hoping we might persuade the Space channel since they've done well with Firefly.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st 13, 13:51   #12
JoeD80
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
That's the point. Did JMS start his campaign for B5 on TV after he knew it was going to end up on TV in the UK?
Doubtful. WB has the rights. He can't pick where the show goes.

Last edited by JoeD80; October 31st 13 at 13:55.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd 13, 07:43   #13
JonFrain
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
Quote:
That's the point. Did JMS start his campaign for B5 on TV after he knew it was going to end up on TV in the UK?
I didn't ask if he arranged the deal. I asked if he knew there was a deal with the UK TV channel before his last statement about it not having a home on TV.

Either way it doesn't matter. There are simply too many channels these days for many people to pick up a show like B5 just surfing unless it's near a popular channel. I pretty much just scan up to channel 70 or so for the most part. They are more likely to find it via netflix when they've watched shows that have a similar target audience and get suggested.

Even Lost ended up on a fairly fringe network. Speaking of Fringe, even a recent show like that is only on the Science channel. Lost was on G4 or something. It seems that the bigger cable networks show endless runs of NCIS and Law and Order and other lowest common denominator shows. The technically savvy that enjoy SyFy are already on board with the digital and internet age. I'm not going to sit and watch a show with commercials if I know it's available on Netflix without them. I'm also not going to sit and watch a TV show when the network tells me too unless it's a REALLY good show that isn't in reruns.

I was very disappointed that B5 didn't take off after it aired on TNT and later on the the SciFi channel. It got decent ratings for a run or two, but it didn't really grow much. I agreed with JMS in believing that airing at a consistent time 5 days a week should have really helped it to grow an audience. I think a lot of Trek fans looked down on it, especially since to the uninformed it might look like a ripoff of DS9. And back then not many people were interested in serialized TV.

I think the only way to grab a decent sized new audience is to get all of the effects redone.
JonFrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd 13, 17:05   #14
JoeD80
Commander

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD80 View Post
Quote:
I didn't ask if he arranged the deal. I asked if he knew there was a deal with the UK TV channel before his last statement about it not having a home on TV.
Uh yeah I got it. And the answer was "doubtful." And that was the reason.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote