• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Universal fast track BSG movie

A stupid stupid supid idea, and this article in iO9 tells us why:

Universal have reportedly fast-tracked their big-screen reboot of Battlestar Galactica, bringing Bryan Singer on board to direct and co-produce. But is there any way in which this will end up being anything other than a well-intentioned failure?

Even if you're the greatest Bryan Singer fan in the world - and I'm sure someone out there saw Valkyrie and thought, "Man, if only this guy could have handled the Galactica reboot instead of that Roswell dude" - the idea of anyone handling a new version of Battlestar Galactica less than a year (Hell, it was announced less than six months) after the much-discussed, critically-inescapable finale of the then-SciFi Channel's version seems like a horrific misstep on the part of Universal and executive producer (and Galactica creator) Glen Larson. Why? Let us count the ways:

http://io9.com/5337742/is-bs3-doomed-to-failure?skyline=true&s=x

This reminds me of the proposed "Buffy" reboot... without any of the TV cast, and without Whedon no less. Let's hope someone catches on that if the fan base you're counting on is utterly alienated by the very premise of a reboot, you just won't get the numbers you're hoping for...

SF fanbases in particular tend to think about these things more, and discourage each other from attending.

I'm fucking sick of reboots. Now a days there are reboots of reboots. There are also reboots of things that we just a few years old.

The BSG Series was a reboot. It worked. Fuck it! Lets reboot it again!
I've also heard that the Spiderman series might get rebooted if the Director and Cast don't sign on for a FIFTH movie. So Spiderman, which was successfully brought to the big screen only a few years ago is in shape for a reboot? Already?

There WILL be an Onion article about all of this sooner or later...

So what's next,a new new Star Trek :LOL:

Plenty of original Sci Fi out there of both the deep philosophical sort or your plain action/Galactic conquest.Give it a chance.

We've got at least two good original sci-fi flicks out this year. Avatar may be a third. Hopefully that will convince the suits to stop pulling this kind of shit.

We've got at least two good original sci-fi flicks out this year. Avatar may be a third. Hopefully that will convince the suits to stop pulling this kind of shit.

What are they? I was just saying the other day that I have nothing against the comic-book-movies, but they seemed to be convincing people that we don't have a "need" for science fiction (sorry, but comic books are fantasy, nothing wrong with that, but they aren't science fiction, they are quite respectable fantasy).

It would be nice to see some attempts at Science Fiction again.

What are they? I was just saying the other day that I have nothing against the comic-book-movies, but they seemed to be convincing people that we don't have a "need" for science fiction (sorry, but comic books are fantasy, nothing wrong with that, but they aren't science fiction, they are quite respectable fantasy).

It would be nice to see some attempts at Science Fiction again.

District 9 - Apparently the closest thing to thoughtful hard SciFi since 2001.
Moon(?) - Don't really know about this movie, but, it seems to be one of the thoughtful ones.
Avatar - Don't know anything about this movie, but, people are expecting it to rock with the same promises the other two have been delivering on

*This is just from reading posts, I haven't seen anything but, the trailers for District 9*

No, making good movies won't stop the making of bad movies. Only when it will stop being profitable will they stop doing it. You can go the politics forum and see me rant and rave about the inadequacies of the market when it comes to social welfare, but the market works brilliantly when it comes to entertainment. If people really didn't want these movies being made, they wouldn't go see them.

But we'll all go. Yeah, it's stupid, blah blah... but we'll go, because we have this weird emotional connection to familiar fictional characters. Crazyhorse's Star Trek joke was funny, but also such a good example- we all went to see it, and then convinced each other that despite the completely retarded story line, different cast, the fact that it was made by non-fans, and was basically just a decent action movie with the Star Trek name slapped on it, it was supposed to be really good. Therefore sequels are planned.

Battlestar, like Trek, has become a Name. They can re-release the Brown Bunny, called Battlestar Galactica, and it is guaranteed to at least break even.

What I don't understand is- why do people care? Just don't go see it. As I've said many times recently, there's been a run of solid sci-fi. Hyp I'm sorry you're not seeing it but just a quick look at the threads in this very forum show that there are quite a few. I don't even see what comic movies have to do with it. You know that's kind of like when you tell someone you like sci-fi and they automatically assume you sleep in Spiderman pajamas- we all know there's a difference between X-Men and Solaris.

The cool thing about sci-fi these days is that it's really not some odd niche subculture anymore. This means you have a more diverse pool of film makers getting involved and offering a wider perspective. David Bowie's son- lord knows he has a unique background- makes his first movie about a guy on the moon. This is a trend we should all be welcoming. Yeah the disadvantage of mainstreaming sci-fi is that shitty children's movies are often marketed under the same umbrella. But, again, we can just not see the various movies made from toys (really- toys- wtf) in favor of the good movies. I'd much rather have the existence of both than neither.

Those were the two films Hyp yeah.

GKE, you are spot on and as someone who paid to see Transformers 2 I acknowledge I am also the problem. And I do like cheesy big budget action film sequel/franchises, in fact I love them.

I guess I just want to see more of the thoughtful stuff, films like Silent Running Logans' Run. Nothing wrong with originality. But as you also said, Hollywood is dictated by the market, and the market rarely takes risks, and justifiably so.

Rebootings BSG six months after the series finishes is just dumb though. And don't get me started on Buffy. SMG could still easily play her now.

I don't actually sleep in Spiderman pyjamas, but I may have a Spiderman mug ...

Well I for one am not satisfied with 2-3 good Sci Fi films a year.I do think the genre has a lot more to offer.

I've read Sci Fi and fantasy books since I was about 6 and there are a great many decent stories out there for all ages.It seems to me that very few books by Sci Fi and especially fantasy authors actually make it to the big screen,no matter how successful they are when they do.It's not even like most of them would need a massive special effects budget.

Yeah okay if we were to have 15-20 movies a year some would be crap but then again how many movies are crap anyway?It seems to me that a crap Sci Fi or fantasy film does a lot more damage than a crap horror film for example.

I'm not against reboots,I'd love to see Blakes 7 done again or that universe expanded,but thisconstant restarting of a few successful series is getting annoying.The genre is all about imagination so try using some.

God that was a ramble,sorry not feeling well and I'm on some mad pills :LOL:

Oh and I've got a Dalek mug ;)

i don't think Gattaca can count, due to the fact that it was shit.

and i have a star trek mug as well as a spiderman duvet. it's really awesome, the chicks LOVE it.

Gattaca sucked from certain points of view, such as yours. I find it to be the best hard-science SF movie I've ever seen -- everything in that movie is completely plausible, we could be there in 20 or 30 years. It was also very well-acted (Jude Law in particular), extremely elegant (wearing a three-piece suit into space? now that's travelling in style), and rather thought-provoking.

Also "I never saved anything for the trip back" is an amazing line.

Problem with a lot of the "classic" sci-fi books is that they are narrated in an abstract way. I went through my Robert Heinlein phase but I can't imagine any visualization of his best novels being anything other than mind-numbingly dull and preachy. Arthur C Clarke novels would end up not to different from a long episode of Nova.

Though I wonder if animation could be used cleverly for Heinlein or Bradbury.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back