• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Carnivale

Jade Jaguar

Regular
Did anyone see this on HBO yet? It is a new series, started last Sunday night. It is about a traveling carnival, going through the dust bowl southwest, during the depression. It is Twin Peaksish, weirdly supernatural/mystical. Lots of strange characters. I watched the first ep, and found it interesting. I only read one review, which was bad, saying it was trying to hard to be strange.

I saw it Sunday and I was was impressed by the setting (dust bowl era Oklahoma), the story and the acting. My only real complaint about the premiere was that the pace was a little slower than what I'm used to ... at times it just seemed like the scenery was the real star and the actors were just background.

My other complaint is that HBO gave too much of the story away during it's promotion. Because of all the spoiler-heavy ads that were out there, I already knew what power Ben Hawkins (Nick Stahl) was hiding; I already knew about his mysterious connection to the Minister; I already knew that someone named "Management" was an unseen character that controlled the carnival (and maybe more); and I already knew that a showdown between Ben and the Minister was coming. Granted there will probably be some twists and turns along the way, but I think the first episode would have been much better if HBO hadn't given most of it away.

Coming from Oklahoma as I do, having parents who lived through it, having seen a couple of small dust storms in the 50s when I was a tot, and the fact that I think the Great Depression is a fascinating era, make it an interesting setting to me. I did see the preview/making of film, and I actually want to see it again, now that I've seen the first ep. But, P10, I do understand your point of view. I think they promoed it that way to try and get an audience that might not have the patience to watch long enough to put pieces together. They did lay it on a bit thick, repeatedly announcing their theme/subtext that 'after Trinity (early nuke test), we turned from mystery, and embraced reason.' Still, I think there is a lot yet to come, and I find it interesting. Sorry you can't see it, GKE.

I watched the first episode from my TiVo last night. I was not disappointed. :D
I will be looking forward to future episodes, as this show is most interesting.

This show is some GOOD stuff. Finally caught the first episode a few nights ago, and I really liked it. Tonight's episode was just as good, and I am most certainly looking forward to more.

I'm downloading Carnivale now. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like. It's going to be slow though... I don't predict me keeping up with it.

I have been watching it. It isn't bad. This show is also written by Ronald D Moore who is writing the new Battlestar Galactica for sci fi channel.

No, I haven't, as it's not being shown here. I don't care about BG to be honest though... and you can hardly judge Ron's writing from trailers!

My local cable supplier has added on demand video, including some movies and series from HBO, in the HBO section of the menu. They actually have FOUR eps of Carnivale up now, even though the 4th doesn't show until tomorrow on regular HBO. So, I've seen 4 eps now. Peter Medak, a fine director who directed The Krays, Let Him Have It, The Ruling Class, and a lot of TV directed the 4th ep. I am finding it interesting. The 3rd ep "Tipton" was named after my father's birth place, a small town in Oklahoma.

On Demand TV is nice. It is like viewing a video, you start when you want, pause, FF, reverse, whatever. There are always several eps of Monty Python, HBO and Cinemax Movies, and lots of other stuff, to start when you want, including Pay Per View.

This is perhaps my most epic thread resurrection ever, but I'm Netflixing Carnivale right now. After the first episode I felt like I'd unexpectedly taken the first step of a long journey.

I know the tale is incomplete, but I'll be fascinated to see how things go.

A couple things seemed a bit easy to predict: Brother Justin already makes me nervous, despite the fact that, so far, he's done almost nothing wrong. The embryo in the jar opening its eyes -- kind of a cliche, no? But there's also plenty more that isn't predictable, and I am very much intrigued. I like that Ben can heal but only by killing other living things in the process.

Also, I like Clea DuVall.

Oh, Kosh. You have entered a wonderful new realm. I love Carnivale. The first season is really about characters and you really get to know each one: from how Jonesy hurt his knee, to who "Management" might be, and Samson. It unfolds so splendidly.

The second season, hang on. It starts out running. I mean, the whole thing is like one giant heart attack until the end.

Brother Justin: Hehehehehe. Evil grin. It gets better. Oh yes, it gets so much better. Clancy Brown is awesome, isn't he?

I have to say, the creepiest episodes of Season 1 for me were "Babylon" and "Pick a Number." So, keep an eye for that one. I think at the end of that mini arc, I literally shouted "GAH!" and had to shake the heebie jeebies off of me.

Sophie is so complex. I need to really watch this again. Her mom is . . . well . . . a turnip.

Let us know how you progress. I'm always up for discussing this. Anytime, anywhere. I also know Ron Moore's wife was in charge of a lot of the costuming on this show as well.

Great writing, casting, acting, gripping show, lots of detail, unexpected twists and turns. Very unusual period/place to set a series. Gee, I wish it hadn't been canceled. But, still well worth watching.

I like Clea, too. Good looking, but far from the Hollywood idea of same. Good actress, really makes a role her own.

I can't watch Clea in anything now w/o thinking of Sophie. She owns that role--inside and out, and it only gets better as the series progresses.

"This is MY house...." (that shouldn't give anything away.)

Wow, epic thread necromancy here.

I found Carnivale a little dense and slow in the first season, and while I like Nick Stahl, I was a little annoyed with how passive Ben can be.

That said, I did really enjoy the series, wish it'd gotten a third.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back