• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

The Prisoner on IFC

I've beenwatching you all discuss this, and been jealous that I haven't seen the prisoner since the 80s on PBS, and haven't been able to runa cross it on the IFC (if I have the channel, it's way up there, and I have no idea where). Well last night, I discovered AMC has the entire Series on "On Demand", so I'm recording the 2nd episode now (they have Chimes of Big Ben listed 2nd). Unfortunately, they all end 11-30-09, so I've got a marathon recording to do so, I'll likely be recording quite a few of them without being able to pay attention, so, I guess I'll view them with attention after they're all recorded. Anyone else with On Demand that wants them recorded, you should have them until the 30th

Thanks for that info, Sindatur! I was really pissed that they split up the closing two-parter. Now, instead of waiting a week, I can just watch them together on OnDemand! Now, I may burn them all to disc, if there aren't a bunch of logos all over them, like on IFC.

Here's a list of the Prisoner episodes and the various assembled viewing orders:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Prisoner_episodes

Apparently there's no "official" order. Also there are a few skippable eps, IMO. Sure they're fun in the way the lesser original Trek eps are, but IMO this series can, when viewed in a certain order, include a specific character/story arc.

This is best done with the KTEH order...

Since I am going to burn these to disc, from AMC OnDemand, I had to decide what order I want to use. After careful consideration, I have come up with my own... well a blending of two, from the link above. I am going with the KTEH order for eps 1-9, the 6of1 order for eps 10-14. Eps 15-17 is the same in both, and I will use that. I did a lot of considering, and I think that is the best of both worlds.

Note to GKE: A Change of Mind is followed by Hammer Into Anvil in both versions, and therefore, my version too.

Thanks for that info, Sindatur! I was really pissed that they split up the closing two-parter. Now, instead of waiting a week, I can just watch them together on OnDemand! Now, I may burn them all to disc, if there aren't a bunch of logos all over them, like on IFC.
No Logos, but, there may be a screen sizing issue. I'm on old fashioned regular TV and DVD player, and it's full screen (May be sized to fit screen, as on occasion I think I'm missing seeing something at the bottom of screen, not sure though). Of course, that may be because it's resized for you HD folks? Not a big issue with me, though.

I've gotta try viewing in those orders listed when I get a chance to sit and watch them. I saw it on KTEH back in the day, so that's the order I am familiar with.

I have a 16x9 HDTV. I haven't watched one through from AMC OnDemand yet, but I did start the first ep. It was in 4x3, with nothing stretched or cropped. Assuming your cable box is set up correctly, you should see it that way too, even on a 4x3 SD TV.

In the episode with the phony #6, I was confused. Every ep starts out with the same opening (except the Western one?) Where #6 says "I am not a number, I am a Free Man". Why then in this episode were both #6's arguing that they were #6? Wouldn't that go against every grain of the character?

In the episode with the phony #6, I was confused. Every ep starts out with the same opening (except the Western one?) Where #6 says "I am not a number, I am a Free Man". Why then in this episode were both #6's arguing that they were #6? Wouldn't that go against every grain of the character?

This post is confusing- I don't know which version of The Prisoner you're talking about.

This post is confusing- I don't know which version of The Prisoner you're talking about.
1967 original. I didn't get the opportunity to sit and watch every minute of every episode as I was recording them, and haven't seen all of them even when I watched the series on KTEH back in the day, so maybe I misinterpretted soemthing I saw? Anyways, in this episode McGoohan was playing himself twice in the episode and #2 was testing to prove to #6, which was the real #6. Both of them blatantly proclaimed they were #6. My first instinct would be the one not proclaiming he was #6 would be the real one, since he won't lower himself to accept being a number.

That was part of the psychological game they were playing with him - to make him proclaim that he WAS 6, to make him try to prove it, to preserve his identity! Of course, in the end, he pretends to be the phony 6, to try and escape. To put it in the terms of B5, this series is constantly asking Who are you?

P.S. Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling is the other ep where they open with something other than the usual, but then go into the regular intro.

I've almost finished making an 8 DVD set of all the original eps, two copies, one for me, one for a friend. I used the OnDemand AMC to do it.

Last edited:
Here is a fascinating 1977 interview with McGoohan, about The Prisoner. He is interviewed by Canadian journalist Warner Troyer. Troyer also did an excellent series of commentaries, to accompany the eps. I saw them on CBC Windsor, back in the 80s. It's a shame they aren't on the DVDs. Here's a link to the interview:
http://www.cultv.co.uk/mcgoohan.htm

I trust that all of you managed to avoid watching the terrible, terrible remake of "The Prisoner" that aired last month? I got saddled with the job of reviewing it for the Republibot website, and I can honestly say without hyperbole that it was painful to watch.

I trust that all of you managed to avoid watching the terrible, terrible remake of "The Prisoner" that aired last month? I got saddled with the job of reviewing it for the Republibot website, and I can honestly say without hyperbole that it was painful to watch.

Nothing like the original, but I enjoyed it.

Nothing like the original, but I enjoyed it.
Yea, definitely very different, but, a direct remake would've really been a painful slap in the face, IMHO. I thought it was a nice take on the story. The acting was great, the effects were good, and the story was sufficiently entertaining.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back