• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Enter the Silver Surfer (spoilers)

Strange, I never would have even thought of the possibility of her having a bit of black blood in her. What makes her appear black to you?

Definitely hispanic/latina, IMHO.

Having lived in Venezuela for a couple of years, and having spent a lot of time in Mexico, and havins several close friends who are latinos from various Latin American countries, she just doesn't look like a latina to me. Her lips and eyes look black. I always assumed she was a light skinned black, or black and white ancestry. I do realize that Alba is a spanish surname. My favorite place to stay in Merida, Mexico is called Casa Dolores Alba.

Addendum: I just looked her up on the IMDb. She has a Mexican father, and a French-Danish mother. She says she was rejected by all races as being not white, or Mexican enough. She doesn't speak Spanish, and does not consider herself a latina. I will say that her photo on the IMDb really makes her look African-American. I will also say that I have learned to never think you really know what race a person is, just by looking.

Last edited:
Having lived in Venezuela for a couple of years, and having spent a lot of time in Mexico, and havins several close friends who are latinos from various Latin American countries, she just doesn't look like a latina to me. Her lips and eyes look black. I always assumed she was a light skinned black, or black and white ancestry. I do realize that Alba is a spanish surname. My favorite place to stay in Merida, Mexico is called Casa Dolores Alba.

Addendum: I just looked her up on the IMDb. She has a Mexican father, and a French-Danish mother. She says she was rejected by all races as being not white, or Mexican enough. She doesn't speak Spanish, and does not consider herself a latina. I will say that her photo on the IMDb really makes her look African-American. I will also say that I have learned to never think you really know what race a person is, just by looking.

I guess we're just used to different features. I live in Sacramento, California in the ghetto, so, I see Hipanics and blacks on a very regular basis with varying degrees of mixed ethnicity, and I just don't see black features in her personally. Sure, her skin tone could be Hispanic, Malotto, Indian, but, the face structure and the actual features...

I watched the movie today and was pleasantly surprised. I had heard from many people and critics that it sucked. Sure it wasnt a GREAT film, but it was a fun film to say the least. Like many others however I am disappointed that we never actually get to see Galactus.

We'll just have to wait until JMS' Silver Surfer movie is out, to see him done right... I hope! :D

I'm in the minority, it seems, when it comes to their treatment of Galactus. I always thought, even as a 10 year-old, that a giant dude in a purple suit & funny helmet was kind of silly. (I also thought the artists' concepts of his "ship" were even more ridiculous.) I always thought it would be much cooler for Galactus to appear as some kind of giant space creature, which is exactly what they did for this movie. They still created the feeling, though, that Galactus was somewhere at the core of that giant cloud and that we still weren't actually seeing him, but the effects of his power.

I wasn't real big on their decision to dub Laurence "Morpheus" Fishburne's voice over Doug Jones's voice for the Surfer. Fishburne's voice is too recognizable, I think. We hear Doug's voice on the commercials, when he tells Sue "all that you know is at an end." I think it fit the character better. Norrin Radd was just a normal dude who was given cosmic powers -- in my mind, he's always "sounded" like a normal dude.

I'm in the minority, it seems, when it comes to their treatment of Galactus. I always thought, even as a 10 year-old, that a giant dude in a purple suit & funny helmet was kind of silly. (I also thought the artists' concepts of his "ship" were even more ridiculous.) I always thought it would be much cooler for Galactus to appear as some kind of giant space creature, which is exactly what they did for this movie. They still created the feeling, though, that Galactus was somewhere at the core of that giant cloud and that we still weren't actually seeing him, but the effects of his power.

I always thought a giant, human-like being, bigger than a planet was pretty strange too. What the heck was he supposed to stand on with those giant legs, anyway? So, I am willing to cut them some slack as to how they depict him. I agree with your characterization of how they depicted him, and accept that depiction as reasonable. If they do depict Galactus as humanoid in the future, I think they would have to down-size him, as he once did to himself, to make it reasonable on film. But, I think he should still be pretty damn big, bigger that he was depicted when in NYC in the comics.

As to Fishburn's voice, I didn't find it recognizeable, even though I knew it was him. It kept changing, since they did various different distortions. I agree Norrin Radd is a regular guy, but given the transformation he has been through, I find it reasonable that his voice would change. What is a "normal voice" on Zenn-La, anyway? ;)

These days (i.e. in Civil War), Cage tends to wear shades and a jacket. He looks badass.

I agree with LH on Galactus, I think having appear as he does in the comics would be a bit odd.

Back