• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Titus, a movie

Jade Jaguar

Regular
I just saw an amazing film on HBO, called Titus, available on DVD. It was made in 1999, Stars Anthony Hopkins, Jessica Lange, and lots of fine actors you've seen in everything from The X Men, to Braveheart. It is based on the play Titus Andronicus, by Shakespere. Although I understand why he is recognized as great, I'm not a particular fan of WS. Whether you are, or aren't you might like this film. I've never seen anything like it. The words are Shakespere's, but the sets, props, and styles range from 1st century Rome, to modern times, everything chosen to produce the feelings WS was aiming for, but in an audience with contemporary sensibilities. But, it's NOT an 'updated' Shakespere play, like some films are. It is definitely a film, not a filmed play. Much of the effects seem more like a sci fi film, or the surrealism of a Fellini film. Well acted, stunning, gripping, bloody, twisted, other-worldly, strange. Check it out if you get the chance!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120866/

I agree on all counts. I'm not a Shakespeare fan either, but I saw this movie a few years ago and was pretty impressed.

It's almost psychadelic in how it mixes so many genres, styles, and time periods. But, there are also enough consistent artistic choices that the movie stays grounded and kind of invents it's own version of reality. It's one of those movies that's made so well, after a while it's weirdness begins to look normal. I wish I could be less vague, but it's been a while since I've seen it.

I seem to recall the DVD commentary being interesting too. There are explanations about the interesting buildings used and the way the color scheme adds visual consistency.

The only thing I don't like about it is how brutal it is. The older I get, the less I like violence in movies, and this has some tough scenes to watch, especially at the end. Speaking of the end, I barely remember the last minute or two of the movie except that it seemed to come out of left field. When the Shakespeare dialogue ends, the movie takes it's own wordless tangent to end the story, like it was trying to make a statement or end on some more positive note.

Mentioning it almost makes me want to see it again. It surprises me that this isn't a movie seen more often on cable TV.

Titus Andronicus is one of Shakespeare's earliest plays and thus is the most violent of his works and certainly not up to par with his later masterpieces.

I've seen the DVD around but never bothered to check it out simply because I assumed that a good Shakespeare film would have gotten more press. I'll check it out now.

I chanced upon this one day, but could only watch part of the middle of it. It did seem well done, but it takes time for me to "get into" the Shakespeare writing style/talking style, so I didn't finish watching it, figuring it'll be repeated.

I gather it's worth the watch, but I'll brace for a violent ending.

Titus Andronicus is one of Shakespeare's earliest plays and thus is the most violent of his works and certainly not up to par with his later masterpieces.

Some of the comments on the IMDb point out that director Julie Taymor, a stage director, this her first film, actually makes virtues of the problems of the original play, in various ways. For WS, it is bloody, but by today's standards, not so much. It has a great plot. I loved it. Love it, or hate it, and it probably is that sort of film, I think anyone must admit that it ambitious, and very inventive.

Back