B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old February 27th 20, 13:18   #1
Springer
Ambassador

Future of B5 merchandise

The discussion about the computer game merchandise in the other thread reminded me of something I saw Ben Robinson the mastermind behind the Star Trek and BSG models at Eaglemoss say on Twitter earlier this year. Someone had asked him about Eaglemoss licensing B5, and he said they'd asked Warner Bros, who had declined (not surprising), but the reason they declined was interesting.

He said that it was because of a lack of interest from companies wanting to license B5 products, and that it would be too expensive to set up just for Eaglemoss, since WB would have to employ people in licensing who have knowledge of B5, to make sure it was all being licensed correctly. Ben Robinson seemed to think this sounded legit, and I'll take him at his word as he's been involved in a lot of these deals for Eaglemoss.

This all differs from previous accounts that WB are not licensing B5 just to be spiteful because it was a PTEN show. If Robinson is right, it implies that if there were enough interest, enough to make it worthwhile for WB from a financial point of view, then WB might look at doing something.

Here's a link to the relevant conversation on Twitter: https://twitter.com/BenCSRobinson/st...71101138751491

Thoughts?
Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th 20, 13:31   #2
Looney
Telepath

Re: Future of B5 merchandise

I agree that it definitely does sound like a legitimate reason, BUT it is also a ridiculous reason - meaning the name of the corporate game is using what you own so how do they not have someone who knows how to market Babylon 5?! Might be time for JMS to try to buy the them out if they no longer even want to allocate resources to market a product they own.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th 20, 19:57   #3
Dusty Satai
Lurker

I wonder how that reasoning fits with Mongoose having the licence to make the B5 roleplaying game and the miniature ship combat game A Call to Arms. If I recall correctly they sold very well.
Old March 17th 20, 20:09   #4
Springer
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Satai View Post
I wonder how that reasoning fits with Mongoose having the licence to make the B5 roleplaying game and the miniature ship combat game A Call to Arms. If I recall correctly they sold very well.
I think Warners pulled all B5 licensing around the early- to mid-2000s, so it would have been after Mongoose published the RPG.

I've got some of the painted models from both A Call to Arms and Agents of Gaming's earlier miniature game. I think they are the best B5 model ships available, better than the Micro Machines and the ships that came with the figures. The range of model ships produced is also quite comprehensive, discounting the non-canon ones. I've got a couple of Omega destroyers, the B5 station, and Narn heavy cruiser, a Centauri Vorcha, a Drazi Sunhawk, two or three of the First Ones ships, a Vorlon transport, a whole bunch of fighters and a couple of half-painted White Stars and Shadow ships. Sadly I'm terrible at painting so I try and find them on eBay already painted.
Old March 18th 20, 21:37   #5
Dusty Satai
Lurker

I have a lot of the ACTA ships and some of the earlier ones. But as with the ccg I have to few hours in a day so I've not painted them. Which is sad. Who knows, if I get corona quarantined I might get the time to paint them. But they are great ships. I might even have the station, but it was so many years since I looked at them I might be wrong.
Old March 19th 20, 15:13   #6
Looney
Telepath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springer View Post
I've got some of the painted models from both A Call to Arms and Agents of Gaming's earlier miniature game. I think they are the best B5 model ships available, better than the Micro Machines and the ships that came with the figures. The range of model ships produced is also quite comprehensive, discounting the non-canon ones. I've got a couple of Omega destroyers, the B5 station, and Narn heavy cruiser, a Centauri Vorcha, a Drazi Sunhawk, two or three of the First Ones ships, a Vorlon transport, a whole bunch of fighters and a couple of half-painted White Stars and Shadow ships. Sadly I'm terrible at painting so I try and find them on eBay already painted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Satai View Post
I have a lot of the ACTA ships and some of the earlier ones. But as with the ccg I have to few hours in a day so I've not painted them. Which is sad. Who knows, if I get corona quarantined I might get the time to paint them. But they are great ships. I might even have the station, but it was so many years since I looked at them I might be wrong.
Is it too much to ask to see some pics of these? I would love to see what you are talking about. I have the Micro-Machines and yes they are poor representations.
Old March 21st 20, 13:53   #7
Springer
Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
Is it too much to ask to see some pics of these? I would love to see what you are talking about. I have the Micro-Machines and yes they are poor representations.
Here are a couple of mine that I could find - the rest are packed away somewhere. I also found the station, and it's really well painted, but needs glueing back together.

The only one of these that I painted is the Starfury. To give an idea of size, the larger ships are about the size of your phone in length.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200321_143111.jpg (320.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20200321_143220.jpg (857.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20200321_143644.jpg (265.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20200321_143731.jpg (856.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20200321_143836.jpg (608.8 KB, 9 views)
Old March 22nd 20, 20:43   #8
Looney
Telepath

WOW!!!!! Thank you so much. Those are great. Thanks for sharing.
Old April 13th 20, 10:47   #9
Ubik
Commander

This might also explain the lack of interest in audio drama via Big Finish. Perhaps the demand doesn't justify the set up cost for all the legal work.
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th 20, 23:36   #10
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik View Post
This might also explain the lack of interest in audio drama via Big Finish. Perhaps the demand doesn't justify the set up cost for all the legal work.
My understanding via two sources is that Big Finish has asked and been denied a license to do B5 dramas.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote