• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

CompUniv: Sabre rattling?

maneth

Regular
I and my boyfriend just bought B5 - The Complete Universe as a Christmas present to ourselves. We already bought TLT earlier this year, the only episode/movie not included in the box set. Needless to say it's huge and a lot of fun, but one thing really puzzles me: on the DVD cover the very first episode of the first season (apart from the pilot The Gathering) is called Sabre Rattling. However, on the DVD itself as well as the box that contains all of the seasons it's called Midnight on the Firing Line, the original of course. Weird huh? :eek:

I'll keep posting any other weird stuff I find as I watch the episodes. If you own the complete universe and have some comments on the box set, please post here. :D

Unfortunately The Gathering seems to be the version originally broadcast, rather than the re-edited one. I missed Kosh's "Entil'zha Valen"...

Unfortunately The Gathering seems to be the version originally broadcast, rather than the re-edited one.

Wow! That's the best reason I've heard for buying it! I've long wanted to see the original version again. I wonder what the cheapest price I can find is... :D

I wonder if DVD region has any impact on the version of The Gathering in this Complete Universe set.

Yeah, I am.

It would be interesting to compare the two properly, though.

The Sabre Rattling still confuses me!

Its probably some weird mistake. Sabre Rattling sounds like a good title for the episode, but not as cool sounding as Midnight on the Firing Line.

This has come up before somewhere.

The original title for that episode was going to be 'Blood and Thunder'. The only mention of sabre rattling in B5 that I can remember is in the episode 'Gropos'.

Where the DVD people got this title from I don't know, but it's not on my edition of season 1.

It is on mine. Just checked and watched it last night. It's a recent purchase too.

Londo's hair is terrible! As are the other Centauri costumes. And what is it about G'Kar? He looks a bit different somehow, but I can't put my finger on it. More... nasty. Did they modify the latex somewhere through S1?

They did. Not as much as they modified the Minbari between The Gathering and the series itself, though. Delenn looked positively murderous in The Gathering!

As much as a I prefer the series version of Delenn's makeup and prosthetics, there is one thing that I like better about The Gathering's version: the ears. They actually look like ears; they have a darkenned interior area that looks like an ear canal going down into the head. The prothestics that are used for Minbari in the series itself are too flat and are completely void of a canal. This is especially prominent and really bugs me in Soul Hunter where it ends up looking like a really bad prosthetic job.

Back