• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Mark Oshiro watches Babylon 5

Third what-the-fuck, now for "Signs and Portents".

In the thirteenth episode of the first season of Babylon 5, WHAT THE FUCK.
What just happened? What is this show gonna do to me? THIS IS YOUR FAULT.

Okay, we're going to see that again. Any bets on when? Crysalis definitely will cause it but I doubt it will be the next episode to do it. Babylon Squared is a good contender.Especially cause of the reveal about Sinclair.

Third what-the-fuck, now for "Signs and Portents".

In the thirteenth episode of the first season of Babylon 5, WHAT THE FUCK.
What just happened? What is this show gonna do to me? THIS IS YOUR FAULT.

Okay, we're going to see that again. Any bets on when? Crysalis definitely will cause it but I doubt it will be the next episode to do it. Babylon Squared is a good contender.Especially cause of the reveal about Sinclair.

My bet would be "A Voice in the Wilderness"

Oshiro likes "Eyes."

this is an incredible episode and will remain one of the best of season one for me.

Regarding Talia and Ivanova:

(Also, I’m selfish; I wanted to see her interact with Ivanova, especially after Gray caught Ivanova thinking about her. I CAN DREAM, OKAY.)

Regarding pacing of the episode.

every time I thought this episode was going to settle down, NOPE. EVERYTHING GOT WORSE. By the time Ben Zayn relieved Sinclair of command, I was panicking. HOW WAS ALL OF THIS HAPPENING IN A SINGLE EPISODE.

I've bought access to Episodes 1x22 and 2x01. In an effort to get you guys to start watching his reaction videos I'll offer the remaining 14 downloads to anyone who has already posted on this thread before I post them on The Black Market. Send me a PM on here and I'll send you the link. If no one asks I'll post them up on there in a couple of days.

BTW, this is perfectly legal as far as I can tell. Mark encourages the sharing of his videos via The Black Market. I'm just trying to rope you guys in first.

Y'know, he's seeing a lot on his first pass that I hadn't noticed until later, or ever. Take this:

You can be “spaced” for mutiny or treason. But… not murder? Apparently, the military and national security concerns are placed higher than anything else.

I'd always heard that line and thought, "Okay, I guess those are worse crimes, sure..." But because he's been talking about the problems on Earth so much, he spotted something I hadn't and placed that rule in the context of the postwar trauma that's shaping the EA so much.

Which in turn lends more interesting insight to "The Sky Full of Stars" and "Eyes" and several other eps, particular "Sky..." -- if traitors can be spaced, then those who are convinced Sinclair is a traitor feel all the more justified in messing with him.

It's also worth noting Garibaldi's preference for more capital punishment reveals that, unlike some most SF shows (*coughcoughTrekcoughcough*) it's not a matter of "We've learned better and we don't do that any more," it's a matter of some humans saying, "We've learned, we don't do that!" and others saying, "Yeah, but we still should." Infinitely more realistic, since it mirrors our own cultural clashes these days.

Of course, Garibaldi is advocating harsher punishment in pursuit of justice, while many of the antagonists on this show are advocating harsher punishment because otherwise "We've gone soft." Significant difference, there.

I always figured that treason and mutiny get you spaced because in a combat situation they might not be able to arrest and hold you for sentencing. So if they simply space you, that way they have still acted legally.

I just posted this on the review for Legacies.

"This becomes less about Alisa’s future and a sort of small, ideological battle. Talia is convinced that the regimented, ordered life of the Psi Corps will help Alisa best. But Ivanova believes that the Psi Corps will ultimately ask for obedience and conformity, as they did in the past with Ivanova’s mother. "
Wait! WHAT? You mean this whole story is the entire Shadow War in miniature with Ivanova playing the Shadows? WTF? HOW DID I NEVER SEE THAT BEFORE?

I'll just say that it's insights like this which make me love watching the whole Mark Watches Babylon 5 series. I've rewatched this show from time to time for 20 years and never made that connection until today.

Oh, wow. Of course -- and I never saw that either. Perhaps because Psi Corps becomes allied with the Shadows later? Threw us off a bit.

I wonder how many other little microcosms there are?

I wonder how many other little microcosms there are?

There are many!!!!! :LOL:

But seriously how did you not notice? LOL And how did you not tie that to Ivanova and Talia's eventual relationship? And how did you not tie the complexity of that scenario to the oddity of Ivanova playing the part of The Shadows when so much of her own existence is tied to the order, routine, and subjugation of the military? :eek:

Ah . . . . good talk. :p

I definitely saw that Ivanova and Talia were losing perspective and making their argument about them and not about Alisa. I didn't notice the parallels with the Shadow/Vorlon war because that happens much much later in the show. Even on a rewatch.

In his review for "Chrysalis," Oshiro has a good read on the Shadows.

The power that the Shadows demonstrate here makes it seem like they could destroy most of the Alliance in like… a few days. Tops. So what’s the purpose of all of this? They need an ally for something, or they would not have reached out to the Centauri through Mollari.

Also, I think this might be because he's watched the first season in an order that placed "TKO" much later than the DVDs order the episodes, but then he seemed to pick up on this as soon as it happened in "TKO," but

WALKER SMITH WARNED HIM???

that is indeed an intentional decision by jms to foreshadow Garibaldi being shot in the back, but it's one that I never picked up on until I read jms commenting about having done it that way.

How will this change the political situation on Babylon 5? What if they have a President who doesn’t see the station as a place of diplomacy, but one of defense?

and

Will the Home Guard feel emboldened now that they’ve succeeded? Oh gods, WHAT IF WASN’T THE HOME GUARD? What if it was someone else???

I love that he's clearly on to something, but he's still not prepared for what's coming.

HA! Oshiro dropped a comment in reply to his posting about "Chrysalis," saying,

I just want you all to know that I've now seen through 2x05 and I will not forgive any of you for this.

His Season 2 predictions are remarkably accurate, with a few glaring exceptions:

Season 2 Predictions

We will discover Delenn’s new form in the first episode.
I am also guessing this is why I cannot watch the opening credits for the first two episodes.
I am guessing that Delenn is a new form of her species.
Garibaldi will recover by the end of the second episode.
Talia and Ivanova will clash over the Psi Corps again this season.
We’ll see Bester again.
We will also see Morden multiple times.
Mollari will continue working with the Shadows.
Bonus points if he knows who he has allied with and keeps doing it anyway.
Sinclair will discover the truth about the Battle of the Line, but not until the end of the second episode, when Delenn tells him.
There will be another episode about Garibaldi’s alcoholism.
We will find out where G’Kar went to in the first episode.
The new president is gonna be THE WORST.
Home Guard will also be THE WORST and will escalate their attacks and their presence in the galaxy.
A war of some sort will break out at the end of season two.
I think it’ll be the Shadows/the Centauri versus… everyone else?
Ambassador Kosh will show someone else their true form.
IVANOVA WILL CONTINUE TO BE MY FAVORITE FOR ALL TIME.

He was off by one epside for a lot of those. And he might even have been correct if it wasn't for the Sinclair / Sheridan swap.

Latest posts

Members online

Back