B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old September 27th 03, 17:01   #11
ElScorcho
Psi Cop

Re: New Doctor Who!

Quote:
We're assuming, of course, that the Master died in the Paul McGann movie
Assuming that would be to ignore all the other instances in which he "died". There are quite a few shows where he had apparently done so at the end only to return again. And in the TV movie, the plot device used - the snake - was actually taken from the novel "First Frontier", part of the series of New Adventures published after the show's demise. The Master's mind now "inhabits" the snake, and all he has to do is find another body. So, even though he can't regenerate anymore, he doesn't really die.

I agree with your friend, though, about the tedious recurrences of the character. Anthony Ainley's performances always came off as a hamfisted attempt to recapture Delgado's portrayal.

And for fans who have kept up with the BBC books, there is another character who has taken the torch from the Master as the Doctor's nemesis - Sabbath. So if the new series does in fact star Paul McGann, it could well be that Sabbath is the new villian as well. Then again, incorporating the key elements of the book series could be messy...

ElScorcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 03, 21:51   #12
Jade Jaguar
First One

Paul McGann was pretty good, but these are my top three picks for a new Dr., not that any have a chance...

Patrick McGoohan
James Woods
Wayne Alexander
Jade Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 03, 22:54   #13
MartinRoth
First One

Quote:
Assuming that would be to ignore all the other instances in which he "died". There are quite a few shows where he had apparently done so at the end only to return again.
I do believe the Master has returned from being totally, finally, completely dead even more times than Davros...

Quote:
So if the new series does in fact star Paul McGann, it could well be that Sabbath is the new villian as well. Then again, incorporating the key elements of the book series could be messy...
Messy, indeed. As much as I enjoy (many of) the novels, I don't think those story threads would translate particularly well to the TV screen. They're a bit too convoluted to be explained in dialogue...

And that's without even considering all the people who would be killed in fandom's canon wars...

I suspect that we'll see a new series which, while not actually contradicting much of what came before, doesn't make very many references to it. Assuming rights issues can be worked out, we're probably doomed to see the Daleks, but I'd guess that most of the rest of the "villains" would be original. Though one never knows...

MartinRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th 03, 23:17   #14
hypatia
First One

Quote:
Paul McGann was pretty good, but these are my top three picks for a new Dr., not that any have a chance...

Patrick McGoohan
James Woods
Wayne Alexander
I would adore seeing any of them in this role, quite frankly. Any of them at all.

I have a soft spot for each, so I'd have trouble choosing if I did have the luxury to do so.
hypatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th 03, 08:52   #15
Defectivehead
Dead Account

Baddies can be a Villain of the week or an old nemesis or a new one. I just hope there's a good story.

We don't need the doctor fighting Bertie Basset..I mean The Candyman. We need more like The Curse of Fenric, battling against Lovecraft's He Who Shall Not Be Named (aka Hastur)

Oh bum, I named him...ERk....
Defectivehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th 03, 18:33   #16
coldsoup753
First One

I've never seen Dr. Who. Ever.
coldsoup753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th 03, 19:46   #17
Markas
His Majesty

Send a message via MSN to Markas

Remedy that. At once.
Markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th 03, 21:49   #18
MartinRoth
First One

Quote:
Remedy that. At once.
Or even sooner, it being a time travel show and everything.
MartinRoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st 03, 10:57   #19
DaRkEnEdStAr
Telepath

Dr. Who must be British not American . I heard that Alan Davies might play The Doctor
(btw hypatia it is Rowan Atkinson not adkinson !!!)
DaRkEnEdStAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd 03, 19:46   #20
Joseph DeMartino

I saw a headline about this on some site I landed on by mistake when I clicked the wrong link on some other site (when I should have been working). Just then my phone rang and I had to stop screwing around and do something job-related with my browser and never found my back to where I had been.

But I swear the headline - and this may well have been a gag - said something about Eddie Izzard playing the Doctor.

Personally I think it is a great idea, and one of the few things that might actually induce me to watch something with Dr. Who in the title. (I've tried, but honestly the appeal of the show completely escapes me. And it isn't because of the cheesey shot-on-video look or the sets, costumes and special effects that make Babylon 5 look like The Empire Strikes Back - give me a good story and the rest is unimportant - give me a bad one and the rest don't matter. But Dr. Who just doesn't do it for me. For all the times I've tried to watch it, I don't think I've ever made it through an entire episode.)

But Eddie Izzard...

The mind doth truly boggle. I'd have to watch that.

Regards,

Joe
Joseph DeMartino is offline   Reply With Quote