B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old August 21st 13, 14:25   #11
Jan
Psi Cop

Re: Fan Films

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi Cop View Post
JMS surely took inspiration from other people's work. The Psi Corps seems pretty similar to Philip K Dick's Teep Corps from his 1955 book Solar Lottery. Is that plagiarism?
Yes, JMS took inspiration from many sources from Tolkien to mythology to history - not to mention Harlan Ellison and Norman Corwin who were actual friends of his.The Psi Corps was based loosely on Alfred Bester's "The Demolished Man", hence the nod in naming Al Bester the Psi Cop. And no, it's nothing like plagiarism which is dependent on the actual execution of an idea, not an idea itself.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st 13, 16:24   #12
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi Cop View Post
JMS surely took inspiration from other people's work. The Psi Corps seems pretty similar to Philip K Dick's Teep Corps from his 1955 book Solar Lottery. Is that plagiarism?
Specifically not. In 1994, I asked him what he thought about Philip K. Dick, and he said "I know that he was one of our best, but I've never actually read him," or words to that effect. Parallel development. Coincidence. These things happen. IIRC, Padget had a telepath league in one of his/their stories.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st 13, 16:29   #13
Republibot 3.0
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Yes, JMS took inspiration from many sources from Tolkien to mythology to history - not to mention Harlan Ellison and Norman Corwin who were actual friends of his.The Psi Corps was based loosely on Alfred Bester's "The Demolished Man", hence the nod in naming Al Bester the Psi Cop. And no, it's nothing like plagiarism which is dependent on the actual execution of an idea, not an idea itself.

Jan
Agreed. My "Redneck Universe" stories definitely owe a debt of gratitude to Larry Niven's Known Space stories, and I can point out similarities with the Co-Dominion and Varley's Eight Worlds and Heinleins' Future History, but I'm not plagiarizing them. In some cases I'm specifically avoiding doing what they did, even though it'd be easier if I didn't. (I don't have any aliens, f'risntance). Those are all things that influenced me heavily, but I'm certainly not ripping them off. I mean, he never did any stories about the difficulties of beekeeping on a planet with a shorter year and two moons that affect air pressure, so the bees keep getting lost, right? That's all me.

Kevin Long
(The Artist Formerly Known As Republibot 3.0, And The World's Greatest Living Thurl Ravenscroft Impersonator)
http://www.kevin-long.com
Republibot 3.0 is offline   Reply With Quote