B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5

Go Back   B5TV.COM > Babylon 5, Crusade and Rangers > B5.world

Old September 4th 01, 22:06   #1
Demonn
First One

How many Whitestars are there in the ISA Navy?

------------------
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th 01, 22:09   #2
Demonn
First One

Re: How many Whitestars are there in the ISA Navy?

B5 Ship Renderings

------------------
Demonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th 01, 02:00   #3
Adam
Dead Account

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>
From B5Tech.com

The Interstellar Alliance has no true military, the Whitestar fleet and its supporting vessels only consisting of some 5,000 starships - not large enough to be considered a true Military force.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Brakri and Drazi has more ships than the IA.

------------------
If you have an B5, crusade, or Rangers site and you want to join a webring join the Intersellar Alliace:
The Intersellar Alliance Webring
Home of the index of Alien races of Crusade: http://babylon5crusade.cjb.net
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th 01, 02:10   #4
whitestar90
First One

Nice picture War Demon
I know they have atleast ninety of them

------------------
Emporer Turhan-"How will this end"
Kosh-"In fire"
whitestar90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th 01, 15:03   #5
Cern
First One

I got into an argument with a guy over at B5Tech about this. I was sure there were a couple hundred of them. He pointed out there was no Whitestar numbered higher than 100, and how in the one S5 episode when Sheriden sent all of the Whitestars to stop the Drazi from attacking the Enphili, there were only like 25 blips on the hologram representing the Fleet.

Plus, in the Ep when the Fleet flew over the EA headquartes, I slowmoed the tape and counted about 50, give or take.

------------------
“Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought and why we died. All that matters is that today, two stood against many. Valor pleases you, so grant me this one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, the HELL with you!”

Eat More Goat.
Cern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th 01, 19:33   #6
**DONOTDELETE**

There's actually over a thousand. JMS states as much in a short story he wrote, involves Garibaldi talking about how Sheriden pressured the EA with a thousand whitestars flying overhead. Now like any good tactic, you do not put all your egg's in one basket. They'd obviously withhold some ships for backup in case things got ugly. They would also need to help defend the colonies, bases etc. they liberated from Clarkes forces. This was also after a few major wars, Sheriden expresses how the whitestar fleet is getting very low in S5. So the original fleet size of the whitestar fleet IMO was around 10,000. Pretty much backed up by 'In valens name', also written by JMS. Which states 20,000 shadow ships, 20,000 Vorlon ships and 8,000 younger race ships. This quote is given with regards to the shadow planet killer scene, which was AFTER the huge battle. Considering it takes 2 younger race ships to equal ONE Shadow vessel when they have telepaths blocking them (stated by Delenn), I'd say the original number there was a lot higher. The 20k shadow ships was from ONE base and there are at least a few dozen, with Morden/Londo dialogue stating a SMALL shadow base has a few thousand ships as well would mean the total shadow fleet would be huge. So the younger races would need every ship they could get, as above they'd in fact need twice the fleet JUST to break even.

Cern - Easily solved by squads. Squad A has a hundred ships, squad B has a hundred ships. And those blips can also represent squads.

Surprise attacks are extremely efficient, the Drazi pretending to be allies could savagely wreck the whitestar fleet before the Rangers knew what hit them.

------------------
BETH: "Well all I did was go for a really long walk."
JIMMY: "Where'd you go?"
BETH: "I don't know... I mean... all over the city, I guess... and then somehow I ended up standing outside Bill's apartment building and... I wanted to make sure he was... really gone, you know... so I figured out which window was his and then I just started yelling, you know, "BILL, HEY BILL!!!"
JIMMY: "And then what happened?"
BETH: "Well, finally someone opened their window and yelled down, "Shut the hell up you crazy bitch!"
JOE: "That's just what Bill would've done."
BETH: "Yeah, and that just made me think... his spirit lives on in others." - Newsradio
Old September 5th 01, 19:49   #7
**DONOTDELETE**

For comparison: Earth managed to pull together about 20'000 ships for the Line. Given about 10 fighters per one capital ship, this would mean about 2000 capital ships. And one has to remember that the Line took place after a few years of constant losses.

----

One could always say there were exactly as many White Stars as religious caste ship designers could copy, paste and render.

------------------
Canned flarn is a sacrilege.
Old September 5th 01, 20:28   #8
**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lennier:
For comparison: Earth managed to pull together about 20'000 ships for the Line. Given about 10 fighters per one capital ship, this would mean about 2000 capital ships. And one has to remember that the Line took place after a few years of constant losses.

----

One could always say there were exactly as many White Stars as religious caste ship designers could copy, paste and render.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's right, the actual fighter count for a hyperion is 6 starfuries. Starfuries were used as screens of defense, in retreat (as would be the main theme for the EA to sing to) the starfuries would dely and hold of Nials and Sharlins. They would end up being wasted a lot more than cap ships. This is mirrored by what we see. From what we see of the line (a close up, can't see the whole fleet) there are some hundred Hyperion, a couple shuttles and a handful of fighters. Going by ratios with regards to the 20k figure given by peter david (trusted writer for B5, considered canon by JMS), that would give some 10 thousand Hyperions. Not surprising the EA have so many ships in order to last a couple years against the Minbari when they were slaughtered every time. Having more numbers is bound to slow down the opposition, even if they have a superior advantage in technology.

------------------
BETH: "Well all I did was go for a really long walk."
JIMMY: "Where'd you go?"
BETH: "I don't know... I mean... all over the city, I guess... and then somehow I ended up standing outside Bill's apartment building and... I wanted to make sure he was... really gone, you know... so I figured out which window was his and then I just started yelling, you know, "BILL, HEY BILL!!!"
JIMMY: "And then what happened?"
BETH: "Well, finally someone opened their window and yelled down, "Shut the hell up you crazy bitch!"
JOE: "That's just what Bill would've done."
BETH: "Yeah, and that just made me think... his spirit lives on in others." - Newsradio
Old September 6th 01, 01:51   #9
Deviot
Dead Account

As long as there are enough whitestars to blow up in Rangers

------------------
Deviot
Lincbot@yahoo.com.au
Deviot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th 01, 08:04   #10
TheInfection
First One

It's little the same situation with the monks and the technomages in the B5 episodes. There are about 50 monks (?), over 100 mages and apparently about 1000 Whitestars. It seems that they have very little of them because we don't see all of them in a one picture.

------------------
TheInfection is offline   Reply With Quote