B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old September 17th 07, 16:08   #1
Mindwalker
First One

Robert Jordan dies

Quote:
Author Robert Jordan, whose "Wheel of Time" series of fantasy novels sold millions of copies, has died of a rare blood disease, his aide said Monday. He was 58.
Link

Don't Click This!
Mindwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th 07, 16:40   #2
crazyhorse
Anarchist

Re: Robert Jordan dies

RIP

I'm actually reading book 11 of The Wheel of Time again at the moment hoping the next book would hurry up and come out.Looks like it wont now.

"me and other folk were just tryin tae get the boot in and some other guy banjoed him"

John Smeaton 2007

"You know why they're on the Internet don't you? Cos you wouldny speak to them in the fecking pub!" - Billy Connolly
crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th 07, 23:44   #3
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

I never thought he was that brilliant an author, but I know he had a huge fan base -- and I feel sorry for them, and for his family, and for him, for never finishing his magnum opus.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th 07, 03:12   #4
Recoil
First One

And correct me if I'm wrong, but his much renowned "Wheel of Time" series has had 11 books released, and he had said several times that the core of the story was to be concluded in the 12th book.......which obviously won't happen now. Harsh. Especially for all those who have read the entire series and were eagerly awaiting its conclusion.

Or is that what you were referring to Koshfan?
Old September 18th 07, 08:20   #5
darth_librarian
Psi Cop

That is sad news.

"There's no point debating anything online. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional "live audience" quickly conspire to create a "perfect storm" of perpetual bickering."
- Charlie Brooker
darth_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th 07, 15:09   #6
KoshFan
Soul Hunter

Yes, that's what I was referring to, Recoil. There are rumors over at his big fansite that he dictated enough of the 12th book to publish it, but still, it's a letdown for those who have been so dedicated for so long.

Personally, I stopped after book 9.

The Generous Grasp
KoshFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th 07, 14:28   #7
Cleron
First One

It's a long slog to be honest & i never enjoyed it as much as i could have simply because of his writing style. Far to much detail & way too many sub plots, while there's not really enough focus on the story pacing. He did it to him self anyway, if memory serves me right the series was never meant to be 12 books at the start. It was closer to half that & then kept getting "expanded" on. The original 4 or so books were actually quite good & then it started to.. well ya. So while i do believe book 12 would have been a big one i still have a lot of doubts as to it being the "last".

Any way there are rumors going around that his wife may finish the book so you never know.

Last edited by Cleron; September 25th 07 at 14:32.
Cleron is offline   Reply With Quote