B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old November 9th 12, 05:39   #11
JoeD80
Commander

Re: Season 1 hump....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
I can see a justification for starting new people with Chrysalis and letting them go back to season 1 later if they get hooked
That's very odd to pick as a first episode, considering all its tie-ins to earlier season one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonFrain View Post
poor production values of Season 1.
say what? Improvements were made season-to-season but it's not like they suddenly threw out the season one stuff.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th 12, 13:48   #12
Psi Cop
Ranger

Send a message via Skype™ to Psi Cop

When I re-watch B5 I don't have time to go thru all 110 episodes and 5 movies but certainly Season 1 should NOT be skipped! There are so many ties in to later episodes and the arc. I usually start off with In The Beginning, not technically part of Season 1 but definitely a better starting point than The Gathering (Which I NEVER re-watch. Not that it is bad but it is only available in 4:3 rather than widescreen, the character/station effects suffer greatly from a lack of budget, and too many of the characters do not return for the proper series. For me these reasons make the The Gathering seem out of place and unwatchable). For Season 1 proper I watch:

Midnight On The Firing Line (sets up the relationship between G'Kar/Londo)
Soul Hunter (for Delenn's recognition of Sinclair at the end, important for WWE)
Born To The Purple (Londo's relationship with Adira, important in S3. As an aside Trakis was a character that should have returned!)
Mind War (Psi Corps/Bester's introduction to the series)
And The Sky Full Of Stars (Sinclair's situation explained more clearly especially if you haven't seen The Gathering)
Signs & Portents (Need I explain? Morden etc)
A Voice In The Wilderness (The machine does play a part later so this is good back story even if a double episode was a bit of a stretch)
Babylon Squared (Sooo important for later arc, WWE)
Chrysalis (Delenn's change, the Prez)

There are many stand-alone episodes as opposed to arc episodes in this series mainly to get an audience into the show. Too much arc in Season 1 could have put people off.
Old November 11th 12, 17:45   #13
JoeD80
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi Cop View Post
too many of the characters do not return for the proper series.
I think it ended up giving Babylon 5 more of a sense of realism as it were; since characters actually change positions and come and go.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th 12, 22:13   #14
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

No love for Parliament of Dreams, then? With that wonderful ending?

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th 12, 22:53   #15
Raw Shark
Commander

I love season one. Like B5 itself, it's a great experiment. The results are sometimes brilliant, sometimes clunky. The fist fights are generally not great, some of the guest stars detract from their episodes, some stuff just doesn't work. But the writing was so radically different from everything else on TV, like Star Trek the Next Generation, which was so much like the Love Boat it couldn't be taken seriously. Synthohol, holodeck, endless conversations about chocolate! Stuff that didn't work in Babylon's first season got jettisoned, while the bad stuff in Next Generation was kept forever. 'But what are they feeling, Counselor?'

The structure of season one was so different, introducing us to a new universe, characters and details, bits of galactic history, just before it all starts getting violently dismantled in 'Chrysalis.' That's daring, establishing something of a comfort zone for the viewer, then taking it away. As a psychological blow to the audience, that's tough to beat.

And unlike JMS, I think 'Infection' is a great episode. It was the first one filmed, and provided an excellent glimpse of what was out there in the galaxy: organic tech, which is both valuable and dangerous; shadowy black ops organizations back home, obsessed with winning the next war against the Minbari; IPX, an ambitious company which sends people around the galaxy to find Pandora's boxes, and crack them open because there's money to be made, in theory; dead worlds, once home to advanced civilizations, some of which have accidentally killed themselves off, because they were worried about the next invasion by powerful aliens, who also leave cratered, blackened planets in their wake, it's just their way. And in our noble heroes, terrible flaws caused by the horrors of the Earth-Minbari War, like Sinclair's death wish. And after the crisis is defused, Earth Central, in all its wisdom, takes the dangerous artifacts back to the homeworld for further study. If that's not an ominous ending, nothing is.

It is tough to get people into season one, they can't look past the clunky parts, or the CGI which was cutting edge then, but some of which looks cartoonish now. Like the fools who hate the original Star Trek because it didn't have a budget for special effects and looks cheap. They don't realize it's about the story. The old Star Trek had great stories. But no one had a story as good as Babylon's.

Maybe you should just tie your friend to a chair?

Raw Shark

"Be careful, Ambassador. Not every dream I've heard lately ends well for you."
Cmdr. Sinclair
Raw Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th 12, 21:18   #16
g'kar_on_toast
Lurker

I really loved season one.. I instantly took to Babylon 5 so I find it hard to understand why people don't like that season.

I liked Sinclair a lot more than Sheridan also and missed him when he was replaced.

I think season one is really important to watch as it shows you everyone's relationships with each other and you get to know each person.

I've heard so many people saying they don't like season one though!
g'kar_on_toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th 12, 01:10   #17
RW7427

I instantly took to B5 in season 5. I liked it from the very first episode that I watched. I hadn't seen any of the previous seasons, so when people whined that Lochley wasn't like Ivanova, and that they missed Marcus and Sinclair so I didn't have the slightest idea what the big deal was.
Old December 5th 12, 01:14   #18
KoshN

Yay! A post that's NOT spam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW7427 View Post
I instantly took to B5 in season 5. I liked it from the very first episode that I watched.
In Season 5, the Lochley episode??? Skeletor didn't put you off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW7427 View Post
I hadn't seen any of the previous seasons, so when people whined that Lochley wasn't like Ivanova, and that they missed Marcus and Sinclair so I didn't have the slightest idea what the big deal was.
Well, NOW, you know.

I instantly took to B5 in Season 3 Episode 21, "Shadow Dancing." That made me not know what other people didn't like about Michael O'Hare as Sinclair. Then, when I saw Season 1, I thought he was A-OK.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."

Last edited by KoshN; December 5th 12 at 01:17.
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th 12, 02:14   #19
vacantlook

I've got you all beat: I took to B5 from the very beginning with "The Gathering" way back with its original broadcast in 1993.
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th 12, 02:34   #20
crazybillyo
First One

Send a message via ICQ to crazybillyo Send a message via AIM to crazybillyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
I've got you all beat: I took to B5 from the very beginning with "The Gathering" way back with its original broadcast in 1993.
Don't think you're the only one.
Ivanova: So in that case we're all going to die horrible, painful, lingering deaths.
Sheridan: Thank you, I feel so much better now.
crazybillyo is offline   Reply With Quote