B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 28th 11, 18:58   #181
vacantlook

Re: More B5 on the way?

In my email today from jms:

Quote:
BABYLON 5 UPDATE
J. Michael Straczynski via Facebook
July, 2011

Last year, the studio offered a full season of a new and rebooted B5 as part of a new distribution venue they were creating (us and several other shows from the same studio were part of the same deal). We'd have a full season, a big budget, and total creative control. The negotiations (not between us but between the participants of the venue) dragged on for over a year, we were told repeatedly this is going to happen, but finally, the participants couldn't make the math work. So we and the other three shows that they were hoping to put out there got set aside.

At this point, I've told the studio that if this isn't going to move ahead, there's something else they need to consider and there's a very informal negotiation going on now in that regard. We'll see where it goes from there.

But again, B5 was never created to be a Deep Space Franchise, we wanted to do our 5 years and get out clean. That was my intent going into this, and if that's where this ends up, I'm happy to stick with that.

There are other film and TV projects I'm doing, including a deal just concluded to write a pilot for Will Smith's company on a show that's been pretty much pre-sold for a full season overseas (two bidders want it badly for Europe, and now they're just looking for a US partner)....The new show is intended as a mainstream prime-time drama.
"Rebooted"? Hmm....
vacantlook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th 11, 19:13   #182
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantlook View Post
In my email today from jms:

Quote:
BABYLON 5 UPDATE
July, 2011

Last year, the studio offered a full season of a new and rebooted B5 as part of a new distribution venue they were creating (us and several other shows from the same studio were part of the same deal). We'd have a full season, a big budget, and total creative control. The negotiations (not between us but between the participants of the venue) dragged on for over a year, we were told repeatedly this is going to happen, but finally, the participants couldn't make the math work. So we and the other three shows that they were hoping to put out there got set aside.

At this point, I've told the studio that if this isn't going to move ahead, there's something else they need to consider and there's a very informal negotiation going on now in that regard. We'll see where it goes from there.

But again, B5 was never created to be a Deep Space Franchise, we wanted to do our 5 years and get out clean. That was my intent going into this, and if that's where this ends up, I'm happy to stick with that.

There are other film and TV projects I'm doing, including a deal just concluded to write a pilot for Will Smith's company on a show that's been pretty much pre-sold for a full season overseas (two bidders want it badly for Europe, and now they're just looking for a US partner)....The new show is intended as a mainstream prime-time drama.
"Rebooted"? Hmm....
"New and Rebooted", sounds more like starting the existing universe back up again with something new. I can easily see JMS taking Crusade and starting it over from the beginning, but, B5 proper, it just doesn't sound like JMS that he would be starting over again from the beginning. So, I'm thinking "rebooted" doesn't mean erase everything and start all over.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th 11, 19:25   #183
Galahad
First One

Send a message via MSN to Galahad Send a message via Yahoo to Galahad Send a message via Skype™ to Galahad

Quote:
BABYLON 5 UPDATE
July, 2011

It's this intriguing nugget that piques my curiosity and interest the most.

"We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

Visit NiCK'S SANCTUARY
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th 11, 19:37   #184
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
Quote:
BABYLON 5 UPDATE
July, 2011

It's this intriguing nugget that piques my curiosity and interest the most.
The way JMS phrased it at his spotlight in San Diego last week, he approached WB and said that if they weren't going to do A, B & C (presumably the failed project) that they should let him do D, E & F.

No details, and if the negotiation is still informal, I'm sure there's a long way to go. What I find encouraging is that WB had agreed to the major points in the previous try: Full season order, good budget and creative control.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th 11, 01:35   #185
hypatia
First One

Thanks a lot, Sindatur.

O.K. I'll keep an open mind. It's NOT hope. Just, and open mind.
Old July 29th 11, 03:58   #186
Sindatur
Techno-mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypatia View Post
Thanks a lot, Sindatur.

O.K. I'll keep an open mind. It's NOT hope. Just, and open mind.
Faith Manages!!

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th 11, 08:41   #187
vorlonlovechild
Commander

Question. Dunno if anyone can answer this but do WB have any time limit on their rights to B5?
Old July 29th 11, 10:53   #188
Jan
Psi Cop

Nope, they own it completely with the exception of the movie rights which JMS owns.

Jan
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st 11, 06:56   #189
A_M_Swallow
First One

A reboot could start the story 10 or 15 years after Babylon 5 opened.
Old July 31st 11, 19:49   #190
KoshN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Nope, they own it completely with the exception of the movie rights....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
....which JMS owns.

Jan
And they let him have what they figured would be worthless.
Max Eilerson: "The story of my life. I finally find a city like this, intact, deserted for ten thousand years. Probably contains hundreds of patents that I could exploit and I'm going to die. I can appreciate dramatic irony as much as the next person, but this is pushing it a bit."
KoshN is offline   Reply With Quote