• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Star Trek movie news

Sinclair

Not much to go on but here's the link.

I'm not sure how long before TOS that ENT was set in, but this is supposedly going to be set 160 years before Kirk was born. I'm not sure that another pre Trek incarnation is a good idea. Are they going to try to give us a new series of movies with a brand new crew?

Are they going to try to give us a new series of movies with a brand new crew?

Yes. It's really the only way to go, film wise. The TNG crowd has obviously petered out after "Nemesis", neither DS9, Voyager or Enterprise has enough draw to make the move to film, so they'll bank on a new crew. Probably try and get some name actors too.

That said, another prequel? Puh-lease :rolleyes:

I hope to God they don't call this ship Enterprise too. That would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make.

Really, that would be the one non or minor mistake they would make. The biggest? Making this movie in the first place.

I'm not so sure about this one. Just reading that small clip doesn't instill confidence.

"He admitted that he is not a diehard Star Trek fan but he was drawn in my being offered a blank slate and a simple notion."

I don't know about you guys, but I am SICK TO DEATH of Trek stuff being done by these guys who "aren't Trek fans, who are given "blank slates" to work with.

Blank Slate? Are you fucking KIDDING ME? You don't have a "blank slate" you have 300+ years of history, 5 TV Series that encompassed 29 years of Television, and 10 feature length films. That's not a blank slate.

And when the last asshole had this idea of starting in the "Trek" universe with a blank slate, the product we got was Enterprise Seasons 1-3, and I think we all know how THAT turned out.

It wasnt until they gave it over to someone who was a FAN of the show that things got better.

This idea makes me sick. I really hope its some BS rumor, or that the idea gets scrapped long before it sees the light of day.

I think it's post-Enterprise. IIRC, Enterprise takes place 200 years prior to Kirk, so the movie should be after the Romulan War and the Founding of the Federation.

http://tv.yahoo.com/tvpdb?id=1807778435&d=tvi&cf=0
If Enterprise was set 150 years before Kirk helmed the Enterprise, and this new movie is set 160 years before Kirk was born. It could not be about deep space travel because the Vulcans would not let humans out to deep space, If the story line of Enterprise was correct. So what would the movie be about?

Just let it rest. I think this is becoming absurd. Sounds like they are trying to follow Lucas and really ruin the franchise.

Chances are they wont follow any continiuty of any kind. The article I read said the writer was interested in making a good story first and relying on special effects second. But the writer also said the ending would definately leave it open for more. I honestly think they need to give Trek a rest. With the failure of Enterprise, I have been thinking about reading Star Trek novels again. Some of them are much better than any episode of Enterprise.

There's been hushed rumors for sometime now, so, I believe there is something to the rumors (not that it will neccessarily get made, but, that it is on the table).

Recoil, you said it all about the blank slate and look what they did with Enterprise when they thought they could get away with a blank slate.

I agree with Recoil. Starting with a blank slate is a horrible idea. Are they just going to do away with continuity altogether? They already did that by not only having a prequel series, but adding another ship named Enterprise. That's why I don't want another ship named Enterprise suddenly appear in the timeline. They should just make this movie in an alternate Trek universe where they can do whatever they want.

Now there's an idea. Do a Mirror Universe movie or set of Movies. Then they don't need to worry about continuity

If they want a blank slate set it 160 years after TOS. Anything could have happened in that time. Kirk only explored one quadrant so there are plenty more planets for them to go and explore; with totally new types of aliens to meet. Alternatively two spaceships could have crashed into the twin Galactic Trade Spacestations and the marines have a ground war to fight.

It's kind funny how these people get paid all this money to come up with this stuff, and they basically continue to come up with the same few ideas that just about nobody wants to see.

I mean, doesn't someone stand up in the meetings and say "NO YOU FRIGGIN IDIOTS THAT'S A TERRIBLE IDEA."

I mean, it's so blatantly obvious that it's a bad idea I just don't know how a group larger than half a person could possibly think this is what people want to see.

I've often wondered that too. How can so many of these people discuss these ideas and think they're so wonderful? I honestly don't know what they're thinking. I often feel sorry for the actors and actresses who have to put themselves through so much of that crap.

I'm not sure that another pre Trek incarnation is a good idea.
I'm sure that another pre Trek incarnation is not a good idea. :rolleyes:

It really does blow my mind, sometimes, how stupid these people can be. Nobody, anywhere, thinks this will be a good idea except in their little bubble. There are so many good, science fiction, stories that could be told in the future of the Trek Universe; why this need to go back to the past all the time?

I have a theory, if you'll indulge me. George Lucas has made a ton of money off the back of prequels that were (in my opinion) decidedly sub-par. Despite vocal fanboy criticism, no less.

So my theory is that the "suits" aka "strategically shaved chimps" responsible for greenlighting stuff like this, think; OK, so what's working for George? Let's do that.

Prequel? - Check
Angering the fans? - Check
Lame plot/script - Check*

So basically they're trying to cash in on Lucas' cash cow, without really understanding the differences between the two franchises.

This is just, of course, my theory, but in my world it makes sense. :D

VB

*obviously this is just speculation based on past experiences. :)

Actually that would be pretty sweet, Sin.

Have like a Trilogy of movies based in the Mirror Universe. You could bring in and out any members from the TNG era, hell even TOS era. DS9 went back and forth with Mirror Universe, but bottomline they didn't close with it. A great story could be told about bringing down the evil Terran EMpire and setting that universe right.

Wouldn't have to worry about continuity, it would be Trek, it would involved Trek characters with a different (evil) twist, and could involve either existing Trek characters from our universe, or new characters who help things along.

Too bad they aren't that smart. :)

Instead of going through all the trouble of trying to make this movie, wouldn't it save a whole lot of time to simply take $50 million in cash to the Paramont parking lot and set it on fire? I'd sooner pay to see that spectacle than this one.

This is only a writer being commissioned to write a script (just like JMS on TMoS). This is not a done deal nor does it have a greenlight.

I truly believe this is Berman's last ditch effort to hold onto ST when everyone wants him gone. This is the third new feature he's pitched and tried to get Paramount to do since NEMISIS. It's also further evidence that Berman wants to steal ideas, now stealing from his own people in Coto who wanted to tell this story on ENTERPRISE.

Berman is trying to use the fan response to save the show to grab for power again. I can only pray that Paramount has enough sense to fire him and be done with him and Bragga.

Coto is publically disagreeing with him now and I really hope Paramount realizes that it's Coto and his new vision for ST that's got the fans all excited again, not Berman.

Let us not forget two things: First of all that Berman has been trying to remake ST in his own image for 15 years (and we know how well that's gone :rolleyes:), and he's the one who said the franchise needed a break and suffered from "franchise fatigue."

Now he suddenly thinks there's more life there? Only if it's his kind of "life" and with him in power.

No, Mr. Berman and Mr. Bragga, the only "fatigue" this franchise suffers from is the two of you.

CE

Back