• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Maybe Scifi's got the word

gangster

Beyond the rim
Maybe Scifi\'s got the word

Looking at the upcoming Scifi Channel schedule I see they are running 25 episodes of Battlestar Galactica beginning tomorrow - 11 AM to 3 PM EST. Or five episodes daily for five days. This followed the next two weeks with daily five hour blocks of Buck Rogers, Kolchak, etc.

Since Bonnie Hammer decided to get away from "space-based" programming, this is a major switch since most of the daytime shows will be "space-based," albeit oldies. Maybe Scifi has suddenly discovered there is an audience for real scifi. I hope so.

Re: Maybe Scifi\'s got the word

Since President's day is a USA holiday, they are doing a schedule change. That's all.
frown.gif

No! The Battlestar Galactica runs 5-hours every day, all week and other episodes run for 5 hours once a week thru the end of march. Other 5-hours runs of old programs, Buck Rogers, etc, will run in the same 11 AM - 3 PM time frame.

It's a general holiday to honor US Presidents. I think it's meant for Washington and Jefferson, but their birthdays are close together, so a date was picked in between them and called President's Day.

Tygirwulf summed it up perfectly. As we add holidays some have to be taken away. Merging the two president's birthdays into one holiday is how President's day came about.

IIRC.
wink.gif

I know I can be lazy one more day, that's about all that gets through to my thick skull.
tongue.gif

It's a general holiday to honor US Presidents. I think it's meant for Washington and Jefferson, but their birthdays are close together, so a date was picked in between them and called President's Day.

U S Federal holidays for Washington's (Feb 22) and Lincoln's (Feb 12) birthday were replaced by President's day (third Monday in Feburary) and Martin Luthur King Day (third Monday in January).

Some States still observe Lincoln's Birthday as a state holiday in February, in addition to the federal holidays.
smile.gif

this is a similar post i made at another board on the subject, it goes more in depth of what they're doing:

Sci-Fi has decided that all this week, from 11am to 3pm eastern standard time to show "Battlestar Galactica", they are showing 25 episodes.

then next week they are going ot show in the smae time slot:
"Buck Rogers in the 25th century."

then, the week of March 3rd, they are showing: "QUANTUM LEAP"

the week of March 10th, they will be showing "The Outer Limits"

the week of the 17th is going to be a movie week due to the "Children of Dune" special that week.

the week of March 24th will host in the 11-3pm slot "Star Trek"

and the week of March 31st, they will show in that slot "Galactica 1980"

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by gangster: </font color>
Looking at the upcoming Scifi Channel schedule I see they are running 25 episodes of Battlestar Galactica beginning tomorrow - 11 AM to 3 PM EST. Or five episodes daily for five days. This followed the next two weeks with daily five hour blocks of Buck Rogers, Kolchak, etc.

Since Bonnie Hammer decided to get away from "space-based" programming, this is a major switch since most of the daytime shows will be "space-based," albeit oldies. Maybe Scifi has suddenly discovered there is an audience for real scifi. I hope so.

When I first read the thread title, I busted out laughing. See below (excerpted from a post in rast):

> Ratings Update: SciFi & ABC
>
> The Friday SciFi Channel Ratings have been nothing to write home about.
> Farscape has dropped down to a 1.0 for the Jan 31st episode, the second
> lowest rating the series has had for a first run episode. Stargate and
> Tracker were also down as well and the Friday edition of Dream Team
> did so bad ( .4 rating) that it has been pulled off of Friday since it
> was dragging down the repeat airings of Stargate and Farscape that
> followed it.

KoshN: So that's why they pulled it.
laugh.gif

> It doesn't appear that SciFi gained much of a boost from
> their Taken viewers.

KoshN: Could it be that the sci-fi core viewers are leaving?

Maybe that's the reason. This may be an attempt at recapturing or holding onto the traditional Sci-Fi Channel core audience.

You are only partially correct, Tygirwulf. The combining of the two birthdays into a single holiday instead of two is correct but the Presidents were Lincoln (Feb 12) and Washington (Feb 22), not Jefferson and Washington.
smile.gif

KoshN,
"Maybe that's the reason. This may be an attempt at recapturing or holding onto the traditional Sci-Fi Channel core audience."

Think you are right on the money. (Or Scifi's lack of making it.)
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Too late for me. The Sci-Fi channel could be blocked on my tv and I wouldn't notice the difference.
frown.gif

It is late but I keep it so I can watch new eps of Stargate SG-1. And I've always liked Battlestar Galactica so am recording all the eps they will show. And my wife (for some unknown reason) likes Roswell so I'm taping that for her also.

Typical case of having to take the bad with the good.

Effective March 22nd, I'll be dropping Extended Basic and saving $27/month. The last Farscape episode airs March 21st.
wink.gif

I hope that SFC does come around. Their decline truly depresses me.

Tammy

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by gkarfan: </font color>
I hope that SFC does come around. Their decline truly depresses me.

Don't say that on <font color="cyan">rec.arts.sf.tv</font color> or <font color="cyan">alt.tv.scifi.channel</font color> or "Bicker" will have you diagnosed as clinically depressed and lined up to go to a shrink.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

It's all or nothing with some folks, black or white with no grays.
rolleyes.gif

That person wouldn't call me anything I haven't already been called online.
rolleyes.gif

Tammy

Back