• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Vivendi Universal selling US entertainment assets

Cerberus

Regular
I was looking at the news for Vivendi and saw that there are 2 main parties looking to acquire Vivendi U.S. entertainment assets. They include billionaire Marvin Davis, and Viacom Entertainment. After reading articles for the last few days I was wondering which owner if any would be good for anything new in the B5 universe. I myself would be happy to see Vivendi Universal selling their properties i.e. Scifi, but I think I may be sad to see Viacom enter into this picture because they also own Paramount Studios who own Star Trek. The question I have: which owner would be better for having anything new in the B5 universe or if not new B5 than new science fiction themed shows. The following 2 quotes from the news article are the following:

“Viacom, one of the few media companies with a strong balance sheet, already owns Paramount Studios and theme parks. But many analysts pooh poohed the likelihood that Viacom would want to launch into a potential antitrust minefield in film especially.”

" "We believe that Viacom does not have any interest in Vivendi's studio or theme park assets," Merrill Lynch said, adding that Sci Fi would be the main attraction for Viacom."

What do you guys think?

Cerberus

I'd be leery of Viacom, with their Trek interests. Doubt they'd be up for anything in the B5 area.
frown.gif

Viacom might not be bad for B5. Trek is going down fast and they might be interested in a B5 spin-off series. Probably just wishful thinking.

But along these lines, I also heard Fox is interested in adding Scifi to its stable.

Viacom might not be bad for B5. Trek is going down fast and they might be interested in a B5 spin-off series. Probably just wishful thinking.

That would be the day snowballs start flying in Hell. (remembering The Far Side cartoon, Devil says, "This place is going downhill.")

But along these lines, I also heard Fox is interested in adding Scifi to its stable.

I have to agree that paramounts trek gravy train is drying up fast.

I doubt that Paramount will ever abandon Trek and take up with "the enemy." They view Babylon 5 as the enemy.

If things keep going downhill for Trek, they may abandon it, for awhile, and give the franchise a rest, but turn to the B5 universe as a source of new sci-fi, or even just a source of rerun material??? ...no way! There are vast reservoirs of B5 hatred at Paramount, and things like that are hard to overcome, even for unmitigated greed. Studios do not always do the logical, business thing. They do not always act in the best interests of the company, and the reason is that there are personalities at work.

Never under estimate the power of greed.

It controls the shallow.
It controls those with egos the size of the universe.
It controls the power hungry.

Greed can be our ally.

Re: Vivendi Universal selling US entertainment ass

See other thread about my state of mind when I am here. But I will fix it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back