• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Daredevil (no spoilers)

AntonyF

Administrator
Staff member
All I can say is that it's pretty good. I didnt' find it exciting, but I did find it enjoyable. And I'm not a comic book fan, in fact I dislike the genre. But to me this was Spider-Man for grown ups.

It's darker, and with a higher rating won't go on to Spider-Man heights. But it's a lot better IMHO. And no, that's not because the hot hot hot Jenniger Garner is in it.
grin.gif

More tomorrow, when I'm more awake.

I'm not into comics either, and less so into movies made about them. I've heard that Ben Affleck ruins the movie, which doesn't surprise me. He's done some decent work in the past, but his success is going to his head.

He was the major let down for me, I couldn't take it seriously enough. To me he's funny Ben... from Dogma and Jay and Silent Bob and stuff.
grin.gif
He even does this neck movement from Jay&SB. It negates the dark tone of the film.

Im a huge comic book fan and usually Daredevil is at times a dark comic. I want to see the movie but I just can't picture Ben Affleck in the role. Im sure if the movie becomes a franchise they'll eventually change leads. I mean he can't be both Jack Ryan and Daredevil can he??

^ Can Patrick Stewart be both Picard and Professor X?

I liked Ben's performance. I found Daredevil darker and more mature than Spiderman, but also had some camp and some fun to it.

I definitely enjoyed the movie. In some ways better than Spiderman, in some ways worse.

Admiral Dave

The movie was good, though i feel Ben just didn't get the character right.

I am not that familiar with most comics, reading only a few each year, but am a huge fan of Comic-based movies, and this one was pretty good, though, while it is in the comics, the rose felt like a slap in the face to me (giving it to him in public, blah blah blah)

loved the costume, and loved the X2 preview before the movie, as well as the new Hulk trailer (X2 is gonna kick some ass)

Alltogether, a good movie, liked it much better than Spiderman (which was a so-so suprise) and the graphics of how he sees, pure excellence, though i wish there were more.

They chose a perfect Kingpin, too.

I thought the movie was MUCH cooler than I thought it would be. I was never a big reader of the comic, so I kinda did a "crash course" on Daredevil prior to yesterday. I think they got a LOT of things right... I never knew it was such a dark story, dark characters, dark theme.

I would have liked to have seen more evil from Kingpin, but I'm sure that will come later... remember, Kingpin is also a character in the Spidey storylines.
wink.gif

Definitely Affleck's darkest role to date, and I think he pulled it off well. He rarely smiled in the movie, which I think is a first for him! I had my doubts about his ability to pull off the role, but I think he did a great job with it.

Jennifer Garner as Elektra -- great job. She looked absolutely stunning in every scene... something that's hard for any actress to pull off.
smile.gif
One thing tho... I wonder who had to clean up all the sand?
grin.gif

The soundtrack was incredibly well-done also. I usually don't pay much attention to soundtracks, but this one grabbed my attention at every turn. I'm definitely buying this soundtrack and the DVD!

I have to agree with you on all counts. Affleck definitely suprised me, I thought it was some of his best acting to date.

I never was a big DD fan, but I definitely think that they captured the essence of who DD/Matt Murdock is (though I have some big problems with that courtroom scene)... DD is basically the Marvel version of Batman and I think this movie did a better job of showing us who Matt Murdock is and why he does what he does more so than the first Batman did of showing us why Bruce Wayne does what he does. (Not to say that I didn't like the first Batman, because I did)

Frank Miller not only established Batman as the "Dark Knight," he also established DD as the darkest hero in the marvel universe. I really would like for someone to give this guy a crack at a script, since he's the one that defined the characters in the first place. I know that he was working on the Batman: Year One script, but that franchise has been so damaged over the years that no one knows if it'll get off the ground again.

Some minor nitpicks that I had with DD however....

#1 -- There was no Stick. Stick was the martial arts master that trained Matt after his father's death, helped him hone his radar sense, and even helped him develop the billy club weapon (I believe).

#2 -- His spider-man like agility. I liked the special effects, but I just don't see how any form "special senses" would give him the ability to jump off buildings without being splattered or to leap several hundred feet in the air.

#3 -- The movie was simply too short (or at least it felt that way). While I like Michael Clarke Duncan's Kingpin, the movie really didn't establish him as the total badass that he is -- though that will probably come with the sequel.

Frank Miller not only established Batman as the "Dark Knight," he also established DD as the darkest hero in the marvel universe. I really would like for someone to give this guy a crack at a script, since he's the one that defined the characters in the first place. I know that he was working on the Batman: Year One script, but that franchise has been so damaged over the years that no one knows if it'll get off the ground again.

Frank Miller is awsome. He could also write a good Punisher script perhaps. But I think Brian Michael Bendis has a done a great job with DD as well. Both would be great at taking a crack at another DD movie.

The hubby and I just saw this movie tonight (celebrated a delayed Valentine's Day) and it was better than we expected. I have no prior experience with the DD story and the husband only has a little.

I liked Affleck and thought he was yummy as well as doing a good job acting too.
grin.gif
Garner was hot hot hot and I like seeing her kick ass.
grin.gif
The movie was dark and gritty and reminded me of Batman but only better. Also, that scene where JG hits all those sand bags reminded me of Lara Croft (in the games--not the movie) too.
wink.gif

I am not familiar with who Stick was but it sounds like he could have been an interesting addition to the movie. I thought it was kind of strange that he taught himself all those moves. Yes, all those leaps and bounds were a bit much considering DD doesn't -really- have any superpowers.
rolleyes.gif

Finally, too little of the Kingpin!
cool.gif

I am not familiar with who Stick was but it sounds like he could have been an interesting addition to the movie.

stick was the person who was supposed to train DD to how he is now, after his father died, and if you really want to see about it, the easiest way (i think anyways) would be to rent the "Daredevil vs. Spiderman" DVD which talks about that (at least i think that's the episodes it was in Spiderman)

Y'know, the more I think about this movie, the more I think they did a disservice to this character by showing him virtually flying through the air and diving off buildings. It became evident early on that they were trying to show a more realistic kind of superhero, but at the same time they ruined it by showing us these gravity defying stunts. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy it or that it wasn't necessary (how else is a superhero supposed to get around town?), but the movie could have better explained how he was able to do all of those things.

Back