• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Slight Revisions to S2 Cover Art

Actually, this is a good point. Of course Ivanova was the more "important" character but from a pure marketing point of view, why not give Andrea Thompson (and I'd say her likeness is the best of the bunch - looks almost like a photo!) a more prominent place on the cover?

She seems to be rather more "in the public eye" these days, so one would think that her being more prominent on the cover might get some people's interest if they saw the box on the shelf of a store?

Or am I completely off in that reasoning? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Talia is a more minor character, at least compared to Ivanova, so Ivanova deserves fo be more prominent on the cover.

I'd have had Londo and Morden in the rearmost photos, not Delenn and Talia. It is "The Coming of Shadows" after all. I'd also have a Shadow Battlecrab phasing in (semi-transparent) in the background.

As for the overall color, I'd have picked deep, saturated violet, indicating the coming darkness. It also goes with the Centauri theme and Londo's preference for purple.

And of course, Sheridan would NOT have Conan O'Brien hair. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'm not sure whether the battlecrab phase in effect would work as a still drawing. Trying to just have still of things like that is a difficult thing to make clear to the viewer. Of course it is possible to do the battlcrab phase in as a holographic effect, but I doubt B5 is at the point in the WB higherarchy where that kind of expense is likely.

As for the people complaining about Talia being behind Ivanova: Don't sweat it. Talia is still the second character (after Sheridan, who is just *so* much larger) that the eye is drawn to (at least for me). I think that is because she is only one who is drawn with her eyes looking straight out at the viewer, even moreso than Sheridan.

Talia is still the second character (after Sheridan, who is just *so* much larger) ...

Huh? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Look at the big picture above, in this thread. Talia is in the third row, as she should be.

The second character "the eye is drawn to", not simply the second character. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hm. Dunno. It would be Garibaldi for me, so I guess it's quite individual.

Complete the phrase.

If you take out the parenthetic reference to Sheridan, it reads:

"Talia is still the second character that the eye is drawn to"

That statement does not necessarily depend on the "row" that character is in.

And what's with Garibaldi? If you look at his eyes, it seems he's looking at the 5 that mysteriously grew out of un-Sheridan's head.

Hehe, I was thinking the same thing ... well almost. I have been wondering what the hell Garabaldi is looking at since everyone else is pretty much looking forward.

Now it totally makes sense that he is looking at the big yellow 5 growing out of un-Sheridan's head! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by Kribu: </font color>
The second character "the eye is drawn to", not simply the second character.

Hm. Dunno. It would be Garibaldi for me, so I guess it's quite individual.

<font color="yellow"> Originally posted by PillowRock: </font color>
Complete the phrase.

If you take out the parenthetic reference to Sheridan, it reads:

"Talia is still the second character that the eye is drawn to"

That statement does not necessarily depend on the "row" that character is in.

Ahhh, I see said the blind man...

Me, in the revised photo, I go straight to Sheridan, then down the left fork to Ivanova and Talia, then back to Sheridan and down the right fork to Garibaldi and Delenn, then to the Centauri Cruisers on the bottom, and finally to the Raider ships above. In the original photo, I would have gone to Talia second.

To be honest I dont even see that Talias a major enough character to be on the cover. My guess is they just wanted another chick.

My eye kinda slides over Ivanova and comes to rest on Talia. I think that it is because Ivanova is looking off to the side (relative to me) and Talia is drawn so as to be making eye contact with the viewer.

Thinking about the artwork on the walls of my condo, I guess that it could be argued that that kind of virtual "eye contact" may attract my attention more than it does some other people's.

Object hierarchy seems to be a foreign concept to the "designers" (and I use the term loosely) who came up with this thing. The logo should be the first thing that grabs yoru attention, as it is, it's Sheridan, despite the color contrast in the five.

It works much better in the first one because of the positioning of Gkar off to the right of the logo, and sinclair, who is directly below it, isn't the largest portrait, so you're not immediately drawn to him first. You get sort of a circular layout in the first one. It has a lot more movement and is visually more interesting.

Cover art is just as important as the content, if not moreso, from a marketing standpoint. It doesn't matter hwo good the content is, if your cover sucks, you're not goign to draw the people to it and therefore they're not goignto buy it. Now, granted, it's not such a major issue with B5, where most of the people buying the set are long-time fans, but as a general rule, visually attractive packaging is a must.

D'ya think it might look better if they didn't have that blue/white explosion behind everyone? If it was just space, like with the S1 cover, the people and the B5 logo might stand out a bit more. Honestly, the first thing my eyes see when looking at the S2 cover is that whitish explosion behind them.

Okay, sorry if anyone already mentioned this (I read through but didn't see it) ... Now, why do all the B5 boxes seem to have misleading ships on them? ItB/TG had Thunderbolt Starfuries; S1 had a fleet of Vorlon warships (okay, so we did see one in S1 but not a fleet - that was back in TG) ... now S2 has the triangular raider craft?! I don't remember seeing them every in S2. If I recall, we see them a few times in S1, in "Thirdspace", and once in S5 and that's it. At least they did show Centuari cruisers which were actually in the season.

S1 had a fleet of Vorlon warships (okay, so we did see one in S1 but not a fleet - that was back in TG)

We see a vorlon ship in the episode "Deathwalker". But yeah, it's only one ship. I have no idea why there is a vorlon ship on the S1 cover.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back