• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Reboot?? Is it true??!!?!

To take this thread back to Babylon 5 for a bit.

Is there any indication who will do the international distribution/streaming? At the moment HBO streams Babylon 5, are they going to be doing the new stuff as well?

And will that be at the same time as the US release, or will we be forced to wait (which, of course, is code for: use torrents).

Is there any indication who will do the international distribution/streaming? At the moment HBO streams Babylon 5, are they going to be doing the new stuff as well?

And will that be at the same time as the US release, or will we be forced to wait (which, of course, is code for: use torrents).

All those are questions that can't be answered until the show gets a green light. We're still waiting for the pilot to get green lit.

All those are questions that can't be answered until the show gets a green light. We're still waiting for the pilot to get green lit.

While I am not a CW prime time viewer - yet (hint hint CW get B5 on the air) and my streaming experience is extremely limited, possibly find out how their current programming is being distributed/streamed and assume the same might be true for a B5 Reboot?

But... ...just tried an internet search for "Stream CW overseas" and the results look to be NOPE with random suggestions about how Useful and Convenient a VPN might possibly be. But if the CW's current business model seems limited to the US, maybe this will change in the future. Perhaps once/if the network is sold?

I enjoyed Picard, well at least until the last episode or so, when the plot was laid bare and turned out to be a bit naff. That and turning the Romulans into space elves.

I also enjoy Discovery, despite as Ubik puts it, crap arc syndrome. I'm able to look past that and see the good stuff in it. I find that the problem isn't that the current Trek writers can't write characters or long-running plots, it's that they can't write science fiction. That's where B5 had an advantage, in having JMS who knew science fiction inside and out. Star Trek TOS hired writers who knew science fiction. So did TNG. And it really shows in the stories they tell.

That is an excellent point. I don't know anything about who is writing for modern Trek series, but the original Trek definitely had writers that knew how to write science fiction. One of the most common complaints I've heard about TNG is that it was more a "family show" than a science fiction series. But they definitely had science fiction and a fundamental element of the show. Deep Space Nine seemed a bit more fantasy leaning to me, but still solidly sci-fi. I deep debating if I should get Discovery to see all of the new generation of Trek. It sounds like it is different, and maybe imperfect, but generally worth taking a look at.

While I am not a CW prime time viewer - yet (hint hint CW get B5 on the air) and my streaming experience is extremely limited, possibly find out how their current programming is being distributed/streamed and assume the same might be true for a B5 Reboot?

But... ...just tried an internet search for "Stream CW overseas" and the results look to be NOPE with random suggestions about how Useful and Convenient a VPN might possibly be. But if the CW's current business model seems limited to the US, maybe this will change in the future. Perhaps once/if the network is sold?

I listen to a few podcasts that advertise for VPNs. But it would be a shame and a waste if a new B5 wold be limited to the USA. B5 had a pretty impressive audience in the U.K. alone.

Netflix and Amzon have just lost Trek and the Expanse has finished. There are rumors or a Mass Effect show on Prime and Halo is getting a series on Paramount Plus.

we get a fair few CW shows on Netflix in the UK, so it may well end up there.

I assume overseas broadcasters/streaming services will be able to bid to air it. In the UK I think some of The CW's superhero shows are on Sky, and I think Netflix has shown some of them too. In the UK at least I'm not worried about not being able to see it.

That is an excellent point. I don't know anything about who is writing for modern Trek series, but the original Trek definitely had writers that knew how to write science fiction. One of the most common complaints I've heard about TNG is that it was more a "family show" than a science fiction series. But they definitely had science fiction and a fundamental element of the show. Deep Space Nine seemed a bit more fantasy leaning to me, but still solidly sci-fi. I deep debating if I should get Discovery to see all of the new generation of Trek. It sounds like it is different, and maybe imperfect, but generally worth taking a look at.

Picard's show runner, Michael Chabon, is a Pulitzer Prize winner and a Hugo Award winner (for an alternative history novel) so he is clearly an excellent author, but aside from his Hugo win he doesn't have a track record of writing science fiction.

Picard's show runner, Michael Chabon, is a Pulitzer Prize winner and a Hugo Award winner (for an alternative history novel) so he is clearly an excellent author, but aside from his Hugo win he doesn't have a track record of writing science fiction.[/QUOTE]

And JMS has commented before on SF shows with writers who lack experience in the genre. Also seems like some shows Try too Hard to be relevant in the moment and eventually end up looking - for lack of a better word - dated.

B5, on the other hand remains scary-current. :eek:

Last edited:
B5, on the other hand remains scary-current. :eek:

Ain't that the truth. I remember watching it back in the late 90s/early 2000s thinking, "I see what JMS is doing but that kind of thing doesn't happen any more." In my defense, I was young; in my prosecution, I was obsessed with history, so you think I would have known better. Then I rewatched in 2015 to 2017 and I was freakin' terrified. Nor has that terror passed...

I remember reading somewhere that The CW might get sold at some point in the next 18 months. I wonder if that impacts things with this reboot. Apparently JMS did comment on it, and made it sound like it shouldn't affect the first season, but man, he may be faced with another PTEN network thing right out of the gate this time around...

I remember reading somewhere that The CW might get sold at some point in the next 18 months. I wonder if that impacts things with this reboot. Apparently JMS did comment on it, and made it sound like it shouldn't affect the first season, but man, he may be faced with another PTEN network thing right out of the gate this time around...

Argh - not again! Maybe get the S1 reboot and then Boom? :(

Aside from what happened with S4/S5, weren't there similar issues even getting the original pilot rolling? Maybe there is a parallel with entities currently gathering (pun) IP for digital use like they gobbled up physical stations in the 90s for network affiliates. Would it be better to have even an incomplete reboot than nothing at all?

News from JMS. It's not what we'd hoped, but not all bad.
----
Today, about an hour ago, Deadline Hollywood announced the slate of pilot scripts being picked up for production by The CW. Babylon 5 was not on that list.

When a pilot script is not picked up to production, 99.999% of the time, that’s the end of the road for the project, the script is dead.

However: shortly before that piece was published, I received a call from Mark Pedowitz, President of The CW. (I should mention that Mark is a great guy and a long-time fan of B5. He worked for Warners when the show was first airing, and always made sure we got him copies of the episodes before they aired because he didn’t want to wait to see what happened next.)

Calling the pilot “a damned fine script,” he said he was taking the highly unusual step of rolling the project and the pilot script into next year, keeping B5 in active development while the dust settles on the sale of the CW.

Here’s the bottom line:

Yesterday, Babylon 5 was in active development at the CW and Warner Bros. for fall 2022.

Today, Babylon 5 is in active development at the CW and Warner Bros. for fall 2023.
----
https://www.patreon.com/posts/62084557

News from JMS. It's not what we'd hoped, but not all bad.
----
Today, about an hour ago, Deadline Hollywood announced the slate of pilot scripts being picked up for production by The CW. Babylon 5 was not on that list.

When a pilot script is not picked up to production, 99.999% of the time, that’s the end of the road for the project, the script is dead.

However: shortly before that piece was published, I received a call from Mark Pedowitz, President of The CW. (I should mention that Mark is a great guy and a long-time fan of B5. He worked for Warners when the show was first airing, and always made sure we got him copies of the episodes before they aired because he didn’t want to wait to see what happened next.)

Calling the pilot “a damned fine script,” he said he was taking the highly unusual step of rolling the project and the pilot script into next year, keeping B5 in active development while the dust settles on the sale of the CW.

Here’s the bottom line:

Yesterday, Babylon 5 was in active development at the CW and Warner Bros. for fall 2022.

Today, Babylon 5 is in active development at the CW and Warner Bros. for fall 2023.
----
https://www.patreon.com/posts/62084557

:( Argh. At least there is still the possibility of hope. :)

I wonder what the extra time might change someone's mind. Or does the sale mean the next round of approved projects will be chosen by a different group of people?

Sounds like it might be dependent upon the current President of The CW remaining in his job after the sale? Here's hoping.

Disappointing outcome. I'd put money on it not happening, despite the statement. If they're not excited enough to pick it up now, I don't see how that changes in a year.

This is what JMS replied to somebody:

Apparently the decision making process was heavily weighed by pre-existing deals and commitments that had to be honored.

Apparently the decision making process was heavily weighed by pre-existing deals and commitments that had to be honored.

Was looking around to see what shows might be on the horizon, cancelled or renewed shows, etc, and noticed this article...

https://variety.com/2022/biz/news/cw-sale-nexstar-streaming-walker-riverdale-shows-1235148174/

" The CW is not profitable for ViacomCBS and WarnerMedia (which is set to be acquired by Discovery, Inc. from AT&T this year), but a new majority owner like Nexstar could change that by shifting the CW programming target away from the 18-34 demographic. Focusing on an older demo or taking the CW’s content in a more homey-heartland direction as the way to boost ratings and viewership, and thus ad sales. "

Was looking around to see what shows might be on the horizon, cancelled or renewed shows, etc, and noticed this article...

https://variety.com/2022/biz/news/cw-sale-nexstar-streaming-walker-riverdale-shows-1235148174/

" The CW is not profitable for ViacomCBS and WarnerMedia (which is set to be acquired by Discovery, Inc. from AT&T this year), but a new majority owner like Nexstar could change that by shifting the CW programming target away from the 18-34 demographic. Focusing on an older demo or taking the CW’s content in a more homey-heartland direction as the way to boost ratings and viewership, and thus ad sales. "

The more interesting quote from the article you mention: "The streaming offerings are tiny compared to competition from giants like Netflix and Disney Plus — but it’s more than Nexstar has now, and could be utilized in an entirely new way as HBO Max and Paramount Plus have plans to take their future CW programming for their own platforms."

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back