• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Matt Smith Dr Who

Re: Matt Smith Dr Who *Spoilers*

Wow, what a complex episode! I need to watch it again just to get everything straight in my head (kind of like the way I felt the first time I watched the War Without End 2-parter), but I thought it was great.

Just a quick question - exactly how did The Doctor escape the Pandorica?

Wasnt it something to do with a touch from the young Amy Pond in the museum?

As for the Adult Amy Pond...

:drool:

I thought the finale was brilliant, I think it tops the earlier finales. Also, I may have to learn the Doctor dance.

I also felt the finale was awesometastic.... Moffatt did leave a few strands but unlike RTD they are obviously intentional (hence the throw away line about the catalyst for the TARDIS explosion still being out there).

Speaking of RTD there's a horrible, horrible rumour circulating that he has secured a movie version of Doctor Who with Johnny Depp as the lead.

Please... no.

I'm with team Moff!

Eleven also has other talents it would appear: Matt Smith with the Orbital at Glastonbury 2010

Interesting question about when/how did he escape? We later saw his means of escape (I'm trying not to give anything away) but how did he reach the point where he was able to `jump` in the first place? Loops of time involved and within the episode he said himself it was difficult/almost impossible to "keep it straight". (And so good that we now have a clever writer who clearly likes the complexities that time-travel causes. Great combination. Reminds me of that short BBC series "Crime Traveller".)

Here's your answer on how he escaped, it's very technical so please don't hurt yourselves trying to understand it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_Ry8J_jdw

Yes, very good :p. I liked that "timey-wimey" line from Sally Sparrow in `Blink` afterwards, too: "That sentence started out quite well" (or similar). And I like the "murdered the fez" line :) on the chart for River (not Tam) and the convoluted blue track for the Doctor. I agree with those others that thought the episode excellent.

Last edited:
BBC has come out and quashed the stupid RTD/Depp American Who idea. Praise the Lord.

*Does fist pump*
doctor%20thumbs%20up.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't seen the final ep yet, it will be broadcast on BBC America this Saturday. But, I would just like to point out that early in the season, I said I was sure that the Daleks would return for the end, and others scoffed! Well, :p :p :p

But, I didn't predict Cybermen, Sontarans, et. al. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

I really enjoyed ep 5.12. From the way Moff wove the story through the earlier season, and even wove it through some very early classic episodes (I haven't seen any comments about the Roman's being nostalgic, other than being Autons?). I've never seen the Classic episode "The Roman's", does it relate to the Roman Autons in anyway? I also loved the way he did all that and still layered and built the episode through to the final twist of the Pandorica occupant. And after all that they still left us with a lot to pull together in the finale.

I'm very much looking forward to the finale.

I don't recall "The Romans" ep. I thought that probably the Doctor, or maybe Rassilon, was already in the chamber, so I was surprised. I'm looking forward to the finale, too.

A modern Dr. Who episode referred to one of the episodes of the original Doctor, William Hartnell?

Wow.

A clip, for anyone who'd care to see about 10 minutes of it:

The Slave Traders

I can't get that one to play smoothly, here is a 1 min. trailer for two episodes, The Rescue and The Romans:

Trailer

Last edited:
Okay, I saw the final ep last night. The Dr. saves the universe, and all time, and manages to even wind up on the right side of the dimensions, so he can go gallivanting across the space-time continuum with his best buds, Amy and Rory. I enjoyed it well enough, even if it seemed predictable.

But, he was expected to 'go down with the (time)ship,' and not be in our dimension any longer, but escaped that fate. If there was any explanation of that, I missed it. That is, except for Amy wishing it so, which is not enough explanation for me. Can any one explain what happened?

Amy was exposed to the crack for years as a child, making her special and at tune with the Universe.

The Doctor told her over and over again all season long how important it was she remember people, he also told her that even which someone is erased from time, they aren't utterly erased, something remains.

River dropped off the Tardis looking diary, and that sparked the memories.

Once she started to remember the memory became infectious and everyone remembered.

I enjoyed it, it tied up the season nicely, and left us mysteries to start the next season with (The BIg Bad controlling the Tardis, "Silence is coming" [or whatever the disembidied voice said] River Song)

I'm of two minds about the finale. On the one hand, it was really funny and quick and clever. On the other hand, it really didn't make a lick of sense, and was sort of emotionally manipulative. I felt cheated by having the doctor die/un-be and then having him come back like three scenes later.

Some of that was made up for by the "Space Florida" thing, but not all. <G>

Sindatur, nice summation. I guess I basically got that, but like Republibot, I just found him coming back almost instantly a little too pat. But, I did enjoy the ep.

I am also wondering if the events in this ep fulfilled Riversong's hint that she would kill the Doctor. Also, didn't they just agree to get married? :eek:

I enjoyed the finale. It was packed full, and I've had to watch it a couple times to get as much out of it as I can. It had plenty of emotion, which I love, even if they specifics of "how things work" were a bit confusing. I loved that the TARDIS was tied to the old wedding saying. I never actually expected the Doctor to actually die, so that he survived wasn't a surprise to me, but his resurrection was definitely emotional. Amy would expect him to be at her wedding! And the Doctor's dancing was hillariously crazy. Oh, and I loved the Doctor telling Rory that he was now Mr. Pond, and Rory was all, "That's not how it works," and then acknowledged that yeah, Amy was the greater force of personality between the two of them. I love Rory; I loved the whole bit of how he spent millenia protecting the Pandorica.

The way the next to last episoded ended, what with River Song appologizing when she opened the TARDIS's doors -- "I'm sorry, my love." -- I thought she had played some part in tricking the Doctor into being trapped in the Pandorica. But with how the last episode played out, I guess not. So, I guess that leaves us not yet knowing what it was she did to the Doctor.

I thought the season as a whole was written very tightly. If they can continue that on with the next season, it should be fun.

Sindatur, nice summation. I guess I basically got that, but like Republibot, I just found him coming back almost instantly a little too pat. But, I did enjoy the ep.

I am also wondering if the events in this ep fulfilled Riversong's hint that she would kill the Doctor. Also, didn't they just agree to get married? :eek:
Eh...It was obvious he would survive, so you either accept the rules they played within, or not.

It's legitimate that maybe they should've left any twists of ressurection until next season, but, how would you rewrite the Current questions that were raised (or sustained/supported) with the final scene?

Thanks VL, you expressed most of my thoughts more elegantly than I did. River trapping him crossed my mind too.

I've fantasized that River is Romana, I think that would be fun if revealed, but, it seems now it's gone too far for it to be an acceptable conclusion.

Last edited:
They've so heavily pushed the River-is-the-Doctor's-wife position so much in the season that I have a lot of trouble believing that they're going to actually have it be that. I was hoping for River being his daughter, but she's flirted with him so much that if that were so, it would be a lot weird. So, other than that, I have no solid ideas. But I do enjoy River a lot though; she's fun.

They've so heavily pushed the River-is-the-Doctor's-wife position so much in the season that I have a lot of trouble believing that they're going to actually have it be that. I was hoping for River being his daughter, but she's flirted with him so much that if that were so, it would be a lot weird. So, other than that, I have no solid ideas. But I do enjoy River a lot though; she's fun.
Yea, that's been my suspicion all along, until the flirting made it just plain wrong. Then, of course, Romana was a close second, but, I think she's gone past believability as well.

I'm liking the Valleyard theories for the Big Bad controlling the Dr and his destiny, and I even wondered about River helping the Valleyard to the detriment of the younger 3 (DT, MS, and Matt's successor). I'm not convinced the Dream Lord is not someone we know in disguise.

And yes, River is awesome. When we first met her in the library, I thought she was kind of a bummer for a future companion to look forward to, but, every appearance makes her grow in awesomeness as a character

Last edited:
Just watched the first episode of the Matt Smith series again and was interested to note that the statements (that we couldn't understand at the time): "The Pandorica will open" and "Silence will Fall" were both used near the end (can't remember by whom, now - `baddies` of some kind, I think). So that, plus the ongoing crack that appeared from time to time during the series, plus the jacket/no-jacket (non-continuity-error) scene in a later episode (and other bits), showed how thoughtful, B5-type long-term thinking/strategy was employed.
:thumbsup: Yay, I say.

(On a side note, I've now seen the first two BBC "Sherlock" episodes, also written in part [and part-created and part-produced] by Steven Moffat, and both have been [IMHO] excellent, despite a few far-fetched bits.)

Back