• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A Call to Arms: Fighting for the original cast

Favorite recurring character: All seasons

• Yes, I have

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I haven't

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: A Call to Arms: Fighting for the original cas

I admit to being a complete no-hoper when it comes down to knowing how the film industry works, but I know we can thank JDM for bringing us his insight into what is going on at the moment.

Jerry Doyle says on the S5 disc 6 without the fans a show is nothing ( sorry if i got the wording wrong - but the idea is what matters ).

I must admit I am curious now as to how the B5 Bucks campaign has gone down with the suits at WB.

:D

I wasn't really around back in "the old days" - can someone explain to me what the "War Council" is/was? Why do they have contacts in the industry? Sorry; but I see this mentioned from time to time, and don't fully understand...

I wouldn't attempt to speak for Joe, Jan, colonyearth or any of the others here, but CE certainly has contacts by virtue of his being in the industry himself, as an independent filmmaker.

Beyond that, I would imagine some have contacts simply because they happen to know people who work in the industry. I have "a contact" in the heart of local government, not because I am anyone in a position of power or influence but because a very good friend of mine happens to hold a job of some authority in the local council.

The War Council itself is simply the term this informal and loose collection of individuals have given themselves in attempting to rally B5 fans into some kind of collective action to prevent the re-casting of original characters.

I, for one, am extremely grateful to them for their hard work, for giving this issue the prominence it needs to get some action, and managing to co-ordinate a coherent and consistent campaign involving so many diverse fans in so many countries of the world.

More power to their elbows I say.

jms has posted on the moderated newsgroup. You can look at the whole post there, but here are the TMoS bits.

I know I've been hunkered down a bit of late, and there have­ been very good
reasons for it...which someday I suspect I will be able to t­ell, perhaps in the
form of another fairy tale....

So in the interim, a quick roundup.

I'd say that the next two weeks are going to be critical for­ the future of
TMoS. There have been a variety of conversations about a va­riety of things and
people, and some offers are starting to go out to various in­dividuals...so we
shall see what we shall see.

On the subject of the Crusade DVD commentary...I see another­ fairy tale looming
in the future...WB has agreed, after quite a bit of noise, t­o remove the
commentary that I did from all future pressings of the set, ­since that was the
deal that we had made: use it all, including the explanation­ of what happened,
or use none of it. So those of you who have your DVDs now, ­and for the next
bit, will have that commentary. Those afterward won't. I d­on't know when the
next pressing will be, but whenever that is, is when the cha­nge takes place.

AOL as some have noted is closing down its newsgroup system,­ so I'm going to
have to retrench. Consequently, I may be offline for a bit.­..though I'll
likely be off regardless for the next bit while the dust set­tles on TMoS.

'While the dust settles'. Sounds like a fight has taken place maybe?

'While the dust settles'. Sounds like a fight has taken place maybe?

Oh, I'd say that's definite since he talks about someday telling the fairy tale. There's only one fairy tale that he's particularly known for (other than Delicate Creatures, that is). I was at MegaCon 1999 when he told this fairy tale: http://crusade.isnnews.net/news/mcon99_p2.shtml

I think it's as plain as could be that he's just verified all of the rumors. ;)

Jan

Oh, I'd say that's definite since he talks about someday telling the fairy tale. There's only one fairy tale that he's particularly known for (other than Delicate Creatures, that is). I was at MegaCon 1999 when he told this fairy tale: http://crusade.isnnews.net/news/mcon99_p2.shtml

I think it's as plain as could be that he's just verified all of the rumors. ;)

Jan

I hope the TMoS fairy tale has a happy ending!

I think the fairytale is in reference to Crusade only. EDIT: No, wait that doesn't make sense. He actually made TWO fairytale references.

I'd say that the next two weeks are going to be critical for the future of TMoS.  There have been a variety of conversations about a variety of things and people, and some offers are starting to go out to various individuals...so we shall see what we shall see.

<SNIP />

AOL as some have noted is closing down its newsgroup system, so I'm going to
have to retrench.  Consequently, I may be offline for a bit...though I'll
likely be off regardless for the next bit while the dust settles on TMoS.

My interpretation: Casting offers, real ones, are going out to agents. Hopefully to the original cast members, with right of first refusal.

The "dust settling" could either mean that JMS needs to work on calming things down after a dust-up, or certain people are angry about the hints about re-casting dropped to fans and are blaming JMS for those hints. Thus JMS has been explicitly or implicitly asked to be quieter online, to calm tensions about how this thing got known to us.

Well, I have typed out my second letter, enclosed Babylon Bucks, and wrote out a post-script. In light of the most recent posts, I hope that it will still do some good. I have already placed postage on it. :) At any rate, it cannot hurt.

Thank you,

Frizzell

Judging by JMS' last post, it sounds like the casting issue is all but settled. Either they've sent out offers to the original cast, or to new ones to replace them.

I would like to be hopefull that the various individuals the offers are going out to are the original cast. But then why the '...so we shall see what we shall see'?

Are they making the original actors offers that they are likely to reject? Offering them an insulting amount for there work so they'll refuse. That way they would be able so that the original actors were offered the roles and turned them down... that would really be a shame.

More likely IMHO is that they are offering the roles to other actors, seeing who they could get. If they are unable to hire the ones they want the most THEN the parts will be offered to the orignal actors.

In any case, the matter is all but decided. I look foward (with some trepidation) to hearing the outcome.

Change... is something one can rely on, even if not always a bringer of nice news.

Nothing can exist without motion. Even the most stubborn project will eventually move. Towards success or failure? A whole different question.

I'm certainly hoping for the best, while preparing for the worst. I shall be notably happy if they have made a reasonable next step... and notably annoyed if not.

Only a little more looking and waiting for verification... until I know whether I should swear boycott... or contrarily prepare to help them promote this story.

Are they making the original actors offers that they are likely to reject? Offering them an insulting amount for there work so they'll refuse. That way they would be able so that the original actors were offered the roles and turned them down... that would really be a shame.

There are minimums that the unions mandate so I wouldn't worry about them being offered an amount equal to a TV episode or anything. At this point, if there's an offer, there can be counter-offers and deal making.

Me, I'm quite optimistic from his post. I think JMS said that the battle had happened and that the studio may just have blinked first.

Jan

I suppose it is better to draw positives rather than negatives from this post.

Offers HAVE gone out - so things are still moving.

We need to keep the faith.

I'm not quite sure what to make of his cryptic remark, but it does seem vaguely positive, so, I'll feel positive too!

I really want the original cast, but I guess we'll see.

If they are looking at British actors, I hope they'll consider Sean Bean. He is always fantastic in any role, at least the ones I've seen. Has anyone else seen the entire Sharpe's set? I bought them from digitaleyes.net and they're just wonderful.

I wonder if Christopher Franke and Walter Koenig are among those to whom offers have been sent (I still want to see Bester in TMoS!)

Point 1. Actually Sean Bean is a really good actor.

Point 2. I just want to see confirmation that we have the go. The offers going out is a start. on the other hand I would be gutted if it fell through. Why would anybody offer anything IF there was a possibility of failure?

These next couple of weeks are going to be hell folks.

:devil:

Point 1. Actually Sean Bean is a really good actor.

Point 2. I just want to see confirmation that we have the go. The offers going out is a start. on the other hand I would be gutted if it fell through. Why would anybody offer anything IF there was a possibility of failure?

These next couple of weeks are going to be hell folks.

:devil:

Read "a couple of weeks" as "a couple of months." That seems to be the way in which things work around here...

Back