• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Matt Smith Dr Who

They've so heavily pushed the River-is-the-Doctor's-wife position so much in the season that I have a lot of trouble believing that they're going to actually have it be that. I was hoping for River being his daughter, but she's flirted with him so much that if that were so, it would be a lot weird. So, other than that, I have no solid ideas. But I do enjoy River a lot though; she's fun.
Yea, that's been my suspicion all along, until the flirting made it just plain wrong. Then, of course, Romana was a close second, but, I think she's gone past believability as well.

I'm liking the Valleyard theories for the Big Bad controlling the Dr and his destiny, and I even wondered about River helping the Valleyard to the detriment of the younger 3 (DT, MS, and Matt's successor). I'm not convinced the Dream Lord is not someone we know in disguise.

And yes, River is awesome. When we first met her in the library, I thought she was kind of a bummer for a future companion to look forward to, but, every appearance makes her grow in awesomeness as a character

Due to a BBC webpage published today I think River Song is an alien.
Spoiler for suspicion about River Song:

The BBC's Doctor Who webpages have added a new set of aliens to the list the Drahvins.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/bulletin_100922_01/Invasion_Week_Day_Three
They are described as
"The Drahvins were last seen in 1965, with one newspaper branding them 'the ray-gun blondes'. Although he didn't encounter any male Drahvins, the Doctor discovered that a small number existed, although their levels were kept in check so the men folk would not deplete supplies such as food! When it comes to Drahvins, the female of the species is more deadly than the male..."

It is odd for a set of monsters to be given a webpage when we have not seen them - unless we have seen them.

River Song is a mysterious female who can be quite ruthless - she made the Dalek beg for mercy and then killed it. She flirts with every man she meets and admits to killing a good man. That sounds like the proverbial spider woman who kills her mate. Since they have made her origins mysterious I therefore suspect that River Song is a Drahvin.

The other female that does not fit is Amy Pond. Her parents are (were) dead, she grew up in a big house which was haunted by Prisoner Zero. The Doctor said that she did not fit and was very surprised when Amy did not know who the Daleks were. She has lived most of her life in an English village but speaks with a Scottish accent. Amy also has a strong desire to kiss the Doctor and where she has tried it is obviously a lead into sex. The Doctor has had to actively hold her off several times. That feels like another spider woman. My suspicion is that Amy is a Drahvin trap sent to kill the Doctor.

Although since young Amy can touch grown up Amy without giving off radiation she may be a Time Lord creation. Having in prisoned them the Doctor must have made a lot of enemies amongst his fellow Time Lords.

Amy and River could be the same woman but my gut says there are not. However I do think that both females are Drahvin.

BBC America will show the Dr. Who Christmas Special on Christmas day!

That's a first! I'm looking forward to it - Dr. Who, eggnog, bit of cake - what could be better on Christmas?

I was just talking to a friend about Dish Network. Maybe it's finally time to change from cable, the people he knows are very pleased with their service.

They also hook it all up for you, don't they? :LOL:

That would cut to the chase for me on this one.

How is Sindatur doing with his problem?

I was just talking to a friend about Dish Network. Maybe it's finally time to change from cable, the people he knows are very pleased with their service.

They also hook it all up for you, don't they? :LOL:

They will hook it all up free if you agree to get the service for two years, and you will also get free HD for life with that commitment. If you are going to make a commitment, you might as well have someone you know that is a current Dish network customer sign up for Club DISH.

When they sign up, they get a certificate that they give to you. When you sign up you give Dish the information on the certificate and you and the current Dish customer save money.

On the Club DISH page the "What you get" is what the current customer gets, the "What your friend gets" is what the new customer gets.

Thanks, Kraig. As always, that is extremely useful information.

I'll keep that in mind when I'm talking to Dish Network subscribers. I'm sure if I end up going that way (if reception isn't going to be too much of a problem during storms), someone can make a few bucks off of it.

Thanks! :)

The Dr. Who Christmas Special will be on BBC America at 9pm EST. In the past, BBCA has run different length cuts of the same program, at different times. I don't know if that will happen this time, but check your listings, to see if there are any longer slots for it, and record the longer slot. I also recommend starting your recording a couple of minutes early, and letting it run 10-15 minutes long.

You make it sound as if the people doing the programming can't... add? Tell time? :wtf:
With Commercials, the Christmas specials are 1 1/2 hours on, for example, the Syfy Channel. On at least one of these Specials shown on BBCAmerica, they showed it in a 90 minute time slot and also in a 60 minute time slot. The 60 minute time sot had very little commercials, but, the 90 minute slot had more actual Dr. Who to go with the more commercials. Also, on Dr. Who and Torchwood, they often have "Inside the Show" clips.

Last edited:
I forget that the BBC started putting commercials in their programming. That would explain it. And interviews with the cast would be nice even with the extra commercials.

With the regular eps, they like to keep them at one hour, with commercials, in the US. But, for several, there are longer versions, that get shown once, or twice, in a longer timeslot in the US.

I am aware that the Christmas Specials normally run longer than an hour, w/o commercials. I have read that this one will only be one hour long. But, I don't think they specified if that was with, or without, commercials.

Was Quartermas the inspiration for Doctor Who?

I just watched "5 Million Years to Earth", and it's pretty obvious that the Third Doctor's episode "The Daemeons" (spelling?)" is a tribute to it.

Excellent movie, by the way. The original Quartermas series is much older than this movie, I know. I have bought three of the early Quartermas DVDs, including the original I believe.

Did Quartermas kind of turn into The Doctor, or to the British just really like that character type a lot?

Was Quartermas the inspiration for Doctor Who?
{snip}

Did Quartermas kind of turn into The Doctor, or to the British just really like that character type a lot?

Note: The name is spelt Quatermass.

I suspect both. Quatermass is a stock scientist plus a stock early 20th century upper-class character.
The Quatermass TV series was made in 1953, where as Doctor Who started in 1963.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Quatermass_Experiment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartermass

Thanks, and sorry for the spelling I should have looked it up.

I was wondering if there was a conscious attempt to pay a kind of tribute to the earlier character. There are more than a couple of remarkable similarities.

So, I feel kinda stupid that it took me so long to realize the dude in the Doctor Who A Christmas Carol was Dumbledore. I eventually realized it was him based on his voice, and I talk to my mom all, guess who that is, and she's like, uh, it's him, and I'm like, oh, you already know that, and she's all, um, yeah. So, yeah, I felt a bit stupid. The HP movies always made me think Michael Gambon was tall, but Doctor Who shown him shorter than Matt Smith, so.... Anyway. Happy Christmas people; "well done."

So, I feel kinda stupid that it took me so long to realize the dude in the Doctor Who A Christmas Carol was Dumbledore. I eventually realized it was him based on his voice, and I talk to my mom all, guess who that is, and she's like, uh, it's him, and I'm like, oh, you already know that, and she's all, um, yeah. So, yeah, I felt a bit stupid. The HP movies always made me think Michael Gambon was tall, but Doctor Who shown him shorter than Matt Smith, so.... Anyway. Happy Christmas people; "well done."
Heh, I was always startled by how tall he was in Harry Potter, I knew some time ago Michael Gambon was in it, but, had forgotten, and it took me a few minutes to realize who he was.

I enjoyed it, I think it was the best of the NuWho Christmas Specials. My mom, so far, with Smith's first season, doesn't care much for Doctor 11, so, I'm not sure how she'll feel about the special when I bring it to her to watch.

Don't feel bad. In the flashback scenes where he's playing his own dad, I thought he was Leo McKern. Then I thought, "Wow, that's what Leo McKern looked like 40 years ago, he must be ancient now!" I looked him up during a commercial break, and sure enough, Leo McKern was ninety when they filmed this. And dead. And Australian.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back