• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Doctor Strange Movie

A_M_Swallow

Regular
on Saturday 22 May 2004 Marvel comics released at the Wizard World convention in Philadelphia:

Quote:
Straczynski will be writing a Doctor Strange series, set to begin in September. It is adapted from a movie screenplay for the character that Straczynski had written.

The link:
http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0405/23/joepanel.htm

This needs a thread of its own.
It is a Nightmare working out who the villain will be.
Who will star?
Where will it be made?

Andrew Swallow

I think you misunderstood. At no point has anyone said they're making a Dr. Strange movie with JMS involved, just that he wrote a screenplay for one, and now the story's being re-worked for a comic. Though Dr. Strange is one property they're thinking of turning into a movie in the next few years, I can't imagine they'd make his story into a comic if they still planned to use his screenplay.

If anyone's interested, here's the solicitation for the mini-series, to start in Sept.:

STRANGE #1
Written by J. Michael Straczynski & Sara (Samm) Barnes
Penciled by Brandon Peterson
Cardstock Cover by Brandon Peterson

The master of the mystic arts is back — as only J. Michael Straczynski and superstar artist Brandon Peterson could envision him! Brash young surgeon Dr. Stephen Strange is on a collision course with destiny — a journey that will force him to search the deepest corners of his own heart…and the outer reaches of the cosmos!

September 15 :: 32 pages :: Marvel PSR :: $ 3.50

JMS does not work for free. He would only write a film script if someone paid him to. Under Hollywood rules you are not allowed to talk about a film until the studio officially announces it.

Checking JMS’s postings for the last year the Doctor Strange outline was for a comic mini-series. This was converted into a comic script, from which the artwork was produced.

During the reporting of a convention this script may have been erroneously assumed to be a film script.

Alternatively Marvel sold the film rights on the origins of Doctor Strange to a film studio and made a premature announcement.

The studio may or may not decide to make the film. If they have not then JMS will be able to talk about the comic.

I must ask him to clarify this issue.

rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated 12 Jan 2003 9:07 pm

{snip}
4) Comics: Doctor Strange

Finally, I've turned an expanded, 35 page outline for a Doctor Strange limited
series in to Marvel, and will be writing the script for that one as soon as I
can get my head above water (easier on the keyboard that way). I wanted to
bring the Doc into the 21st century and revisualize certain aspects of his
character and his history. It's not intended to be as deep or as potentially
controversial as Supreme Power, this one's for fun because I'm a longtime fan
of Doc Strange, and want to do something nifty with the character.

rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated 3 June 2003 7:14 am

{snip}
>JQ has mentioned that a new Dr Strange series is being "worked on". I
>know you've said you'd love to be part of this. What are the chances
>of you being involved?

100%.

rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated 30 Nov 2003 2:34 am

{snip}
>And also, is there anything else new for all us grateful fans? :)

Well, lessee...the first issue of the Doc Strange mini is nearly done, and I've
turned in the first issue of a new series for Marvel which will have to await a
more formal word from them, I'm afraid, since PR is properly their venue on
things like this, and the next Supreme Power comes out next week. Spidey 501
came out a few days ago (and the last page is kind of a goof from what I'd
originally scripted...it's a long story, but it doesn't look like it should.)

rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated 29 April 2004 6:56 pm

I'm doing two other books for Marvel, one of which I think they should be able
to announce soon. The other is the Dream Police book, which I brought over
from Top Cow. Mike Deodato is doing the art, and it's just beautiful. (Mike
is also doing the art on Amazing Spider-Man during John Romita Jr's leave of
absence, and it's very nice indeed.) The first scripts are in on both the new
project, and for the Doc Strange miniseries, and artists have been selected,
but it's up to Marvel to release that info.

rec.arts.comics.marvel.universe 17 May 2004 7:35 am

{snip}

In addition, I've just turned in the first issues of the Doc Strange mini, plus
a new series I'm doing for Marvel.

Now the non-JMS quote that triggered this thread

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/0405/23/joepanel.htm

From “WIZARD WORLD PHILADELPHIA: JOE QUESADA PANEL”
Sunday, May 23, 2004
Straczynski will be writing a Doctor Strange series, set to begin in September. It is adapted from a movie screenplay for the character that Straczynski had written.
"It's sort of Doctor Strange: Year One," Quesada said. "It's a real ground-level take on the character and a good, slow take at the origin."

Andrew Swallow

JMS does not work for free. He would only write a film script if someone paid him to.

Not true. Writers create spec scripts on their own all the time. The Star Trek treatment he did was on spec, ditto the V revival script he did a few years ago. When you don't own the property but you've got an idea for how to do something, sometimes writing s spec script is the only way to get attention. Since you own your actual script, you can then make other use of it. (David Gerrold wrote a spec script for Star Trek that he never sold. He changed the name of the ship and the characters and turned it into a novel - albeit one that veered far from Trek as he was writing it.)

Since JMS still owns his actual words and is now working with Marvel, it makes perfect sense for him to adapt his film for the comic book mini-series.

Regards,

Joe

JMS does not work for free. He would only write a film script if someone paid him to.

Not true. Writers create spec scripts on their own all the time. The Star Trek treatment he did was on spec, ditto the V revival script he did a few years ago.

JMS would only show Paramount his suggestions when they had been through the proper process and agreements. Paramount would not want story ideas from someone who can afford to sue without taking the proper precautions. JMS even gives a specimen copy in his book on scriptwriting. The union rules require specified payments to be made at the appropriate places.

Andrew I'm sorry but you are just dead wrong. You know nothing about the WGAw or its rules. You've never read a WGA contract (I have) and you haven't understood such secondary sources as you have read (like JMS's book.)

The form reproduced in his book is a release that allows a new writer, without an agent, who has never sold anything and who is not a member of the WGA to submit an original script to the studio.

What you imagine this has to do with JMS, a WGA member for decades who certainly has an agent and has had previous dealings with the studios, is beyond me.

The WGA requires that writers be paid for work done on assignment. If JMS had submitted an outline to Paramount and they had requested a full script, they would have had to pay him. But they are under no obligation to pay him for something he wrote purely on his own hook. If they had to pay him before they could even read it - you do undestand that what you propose makes no sense, don't you? Either no studio could ever read an unsolicited script or WGA members could hold them up anytime they wanted to by sending them unsolicited proposals. (Because how could the studios prove that they hadn't read them?)

WGA rules absolutely do allow for spec scripts. That's how writers occupy their time during strikes, writing spec scripts that they then try to sell to the studios. These don't go through the usual process of pitch, assignment, outline, first draft, second draft, etc. - they start off as polished scripts that have usually already gone through a couple of drafts. (That's why it is so hard to sell scripts in the first couple of years after a WGA strike. There are too many scripts bouncing around the studios.)

Then there's the fact that JMS was working on a Star Trek treatment - which meant he couldn't take it to anyone except Paramount anyway, since they own the franchise. This also changes the rules a bit.

Bottom line: There is nothing to prevent JMS from doing what he clearly said he did. Nor is there any reason to believe that there is a Dr. Strange movie in the works, based on what has been reported. It would make perfect sense for him to take a spec script that he had used to try to get the Dr. Strange movie assignment several years ago when the project was still at the rumor stage and adapt it into comic book form now that he has a relationship with Marvel and can use the character in another medium.

It may even be that JMS was paid for a Dr. Strange movie script many years ago when the TV movie was in production, or one of the previous attempts to get a big screen version off the ground. Then the project died, or they decided to go in a different direction with a different writer and left JMS with a finished script and nothing to do with it - until he started writing comics for Marvel and someone offered him a Dr. Strange mini-series. Either way, non-existent "mystery" solved, and there's no need to try to twist the words of the printed accounts into indicating that a film is in the works that isn't.

Regards,

Joe

The WGA requires that writers be paid for work done on assignment. If JMS had submitted an outline to Paramount and they had requested a full script, they would have had to pay him. But they are under no obligation to pay him for something he wrote purely on his own hook. If they had to pay him before they could even read it - you do undestand that what you propose makes no sense, don't you? Either no studio could ever read an unsolicited script or WGA members could hold them up anytime they wanted to by sending them unsolicited proposals. (Because how could the studios prove that they hadn't read them?)
This is unusual because JMS has written something without an assignment. Normally he will only go as far as a pitch or an outline. Although to be taken seriously pitching a new series probably requires a treatment writing.

There are certainly TV studios that do not read unsolicited proposals. If a script comes in a special team takes the parcel, wraps it in a second cover and sends it back unopened.

An effective organisation has a proper procedure for handling ideas from for the house writers.

It may even be that JMS was paid for a Dr. Strange movie script many years ago when the TV movie was in production, or one of the previous attempts to get a big screen version off the ground.

I have that late 70's TV version on tape.

Like the Star Wars Holiday Special, I keep it around when I feel a mood for self flagilation coming on.

Also, every so often, I forget and ask myself "How bad was it, really?"

Doesn't take too long to remember.

The horror... the horror...

There are certainly TV studios that do not read unsolicited proposals. If a script comes in a special team takes the parcel, wraps it in a second cover and sends it back unopened.

Irrelevant. Once again you are discussing a procedure that would be used for an unproduced writer without an agent chucking an unsolicted manuscript over the transom. The very sort of writer the equally irrelevent release form you brought up earlier would be well-advised to use. This still doesn't have anything to do with the way studios deal with a professional writer of JMS's calibre.

An effective organisation has a proper procedure for handling ideas from for the house writers

And professionals working in the same business would have a proper procedure for a writer who does have an agent to get a piece of speculative writing in front of the studio types. Or do you think that Paramount also paid JMS for his early B5 material, which they certainly saw? All of the elaborate mechanisms that the studios use to protect themselves from non-professionals are a way of avoiding costly lawsuits. The rules are different when it is a matter of pros dealing with pros, with agents and other "witnesses" involved. JMS isn't going to sock Paramount with a frivolous lawsuit over his Trek proposal, so there would have been no reason for them not to look at it.

The bottom line is that your assumptions about a Dr. Strange movie were based on a flawed understanding of how things work in Hollywood and nothing you've added has changed that.

Regards,

Joe

I want Joe De M. to play Dr. Strange in the movie... ;)
Or, if he's not available, I want James Woods.

Yeah, TCDave, that old Dr. Strange film was one big piece of celluloid turd. The more you like the real Dr. Strange, the more you would hate it. I love the real Dr. Strange. I have all of Dr. Strange in Marvels, from Strange Tales on, up to the mid 90s.

I realize that there is no indication there will be a film any time soon, but I would really like to see one, done right!

Like the Star Wars Holiday Special, I keep it around when I feel a mood for self flagilation coming on.

You kept the SW Holiday Special? You're a braver man than I! I hope you at least took the necessary precautions, like storing it in a lead box. You don't want it corrupting any of your other videos with its pure crappiness.

And then to watch it more than once... [bows down] Your endurance is to be commended most highly....

There actually was one good aspect to the Dr. Strange TV movie. The costumes and especially the sets clearly showed the influence of original Doc Strange artist (and original Spiderman artist) Steve Ditko, who doesn't get nearly the credit he deserves.

Regards,

Joe

Is the Dr. Strange tv movie better than the Fantastic Four movie?

I can't say for sure, never having seen the latter, but I suspect that the Strange flick must be at least somewhat better than the FF TVM because they actually did air it. FF was such a stinker that it has never been shown on American television. The network that originally commissioned it didn't want it shown, the studio that produced it not only didn't sell it (or perhaps try to sell it) elsewhere. Try to imagine something so bad that nobody in the entire American television industry would show it. Then remember that somebody did show Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. starring David Hasselhoff. Let that sink in for a second. Somebody thought the FF was too lousy to air, but somebody else not only thought that casting Hasselfhoff as Nick Fury was a good idea, but spent a couple of million dollars making the movie and then instead of burning every print when it was finished, actually inflicting the resulting celluloid horror on the American people. Hasselhoff is OK, but FF is such a stinker it is still sitting in some studio vault somewhere. <shudder>

I think even those of us who haven't seen it are safe in assuming that the TV movie version of The Fantastic Four is not only worse than Dr. Strange, but that it may be the worst single thing that Hollywood has produced in its entire 100 year history. :)

Regards,

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back