• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

American Dad

admiraldave

Regular
So, did anyone see the new animated series, by Seth McFarlane, creator of Family Guy that debuted after the Superbowl?

I did, and while I kinda liked American Dad, I just found myself comparing it unfavourably to Family Guy. Although I do like Joe more than Peter. But without Stewie and Brian, it's just not the same.

Yea, I didnt think it was even a third as funny as the Family Guy premier. It is similar in a lot of ways...which to me was disappointing.

It felt too much like Family Guy... so I just kept expecting the Family Guy characters to turn up.

Having said that, I was in tears. My eyes were just watering, I was unable to breath... that kind of laughing. And all over that dog. But I think that's more a personal joke, it reminds me of my cat sooo much.

Still, I don't often laugh like that!

It had some exelent jokes but it didn't feel like a very cohesive show. Perhaps it just needs some time and episodes where they don't have the burden of introducing everything. I can't decide if they decided to be subtle or justed wussed out on the election rigging joke.

My guess is subtle...I didnt even catch that one. Of course, I was half-paying attention through most of it. Really just felt like Family Guy recycled to me in that pilot. I too was expecting to see Peter or Stewie walk in...

In short, I too felt it was a bit TOO much like FG in its execution. Maybe later it will differentiate itself. Perhaps it's our FG-colored glasses. I really can't say at this point given what we've got so far.

If anybody missed it, it will be on again on Cartoon Network at 11:30pm EST Sunday.

Back