• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Green! Purple!

The encounter suits are always greener on the other side of the fence.

*** Sneak, sneak, sneak, sneak ***

Wham! Wham! Wham! Wham! Wham! WHAM!

(The Narn Bat Squad - Serving sentient life since 2260)

:)

Joe

P.S.

Shouldn't that be "...on the other side of the jumpgate."?

No, when I gave up the moderator job, it reverted to "standard member." I just never made a big deal about it because I felt I'd gotten my $15 worth (or whatever it was), and if premium membership got activated again, I'd pay for it again. It's no biggie.

Well, your current avatar is quite appropriate. :cool:

The encounter suits are always greener on the other side of the fence.

Wham! Wham! Wham! Wham! Wham! WHAM!

(The Narn Bat Squad - Serving sentient life since 2260)

:)

Joe

I'll take that as a compliment. Of course, you do know that the Narn Bat Squad cannot prevail against the wrath of a Vorlon. Consider yourselves fortunate that this Vorlon was merely mildly amused.

P.S.

Shouldn't that be "...on the other side of the jumpgate."?

[Kosh]Perhaps.[/Kosh]

"Wedge" is used in parts of New York state and maybe some neighboring areas. I have no idea how the word attached iteslf to a sandwich. "Sub" from "submarine" matches the shape, of course. "Po'Boy" is plausible because a poor boy might buy one such giant sandwich as his only meal of the day, or might cut it in half and save part to get two meals out of it. OTOH names like "hoagie" and "grinder" just mystify me. Unless the sandwich was made with ground meat instead of cold cuts in some locale, I fail to see the connection. :)

Maybe "wedge" comes from just slicing open a small loaf of bread and sticking a wedge of cheddar in it as the mid-day meal for a field hand. New York has always had a big dairy industry, and is known for its cheddar. (Things may have changed since but up through the 1980s New York state's number one industry was still agriculture, which a lot of people find surprising.)

Regards,

Joe

The name used most around these parts (Bklyn, NY) is "hero," which is equally inexplicable. I can't imagine Superman munching on a big sammich in between defeating Lex Luther and awkwardly hitting on Lois Lane.

"Hero" never bugged me. In a less descriptive and more metaphorical sense it works: A sandwich so big you'd have to be a hero (big, strong, beefy guy, not super-powered being in spandex) to eat one. Or it is so big it's the hero of the sandwich world or something along those lines. But "Hoagie"? I'm sure there's no connection, but everytime I hear that I think of musician Hoagy Carmichael. (Despite the spelling difference.) Maybe he really liked the sandwiches and they named them after him but got the spelling wrong. :) OTOH, maybe the sandwich came first and he ate so many of them that his friends nicknamed him "Hoagy" because they didn't know how to spell, either. And maybe I've got way too much time on my hands today... :)

Really strange triva: Novelist Ian Flemming wasn't thrilled at first when Sean Connery was cast as James Bond, the spy he'd created, in the first film of the series, Dr. No. Flemming didn't think Connery looked the way Flemming envisioned Bond when he was writing the books. Asked what he thought James Bond should look like Flemming replied, "Hoagy Carmichael." :)

Regards,

Joe

So, is the bread a Hoagie is made on, named a Hoagie loaf, in response to calling the sandwich a Hoagie? I was under the impression that the bread was a Hoagie loaf, and therefore, the sandwiches made on it are called Hoagies?

I was under the impression that the bread was a Hoagie loaf, and therefore, the sandwiches made on it are called Hoagies?

1) That wouldn't explain where the name came from in the first place.

2) That wouldn't explain why sandwiches made with the same type of roll in other parts of the country aren't called "hoagies" but go by other names.

3) No :)

In fact the same type of roll is caled a "sub roll", a "sandwich roll" a "grinder roll" or what-have-you depending on what the sandwich is called in different areas. To call it a hoagie roll (where you live) is just a way of saying "Give me the kind of roll that is used for making a hoagie".

Regards,

Joe

Okay. We actually call them subs or heros here (never heard anyone in these parts call the sandwich a Hoagie), but the bread is very often referred to as a Hoagie, so I thought that was it's brand, since I hear the bread called that, but not the sandwiches.

Geez what a silly thing to be debating, LOL. ;)

OTOH names like "hoagie" and "grinder" just mystify me. Unless the sandwich was made with ground meat instead of cold cuts in some locale, I fail to see the connection. :)

Most of the places where I have seen "grinder" used, there was a strong tendancy toward meatball subs and the like. That is to say, sandwiches where the meat was indeed ground.

I don't know anything about actual source of "hero" as applied to submarine (the common term around where I live) sandwiches, but as an alternative to Joe D.'s metaphorical speculations, I wonder whether it might have come as phonetic modification of the gyro sandwich. Probably not, but it was a thought that occurred to me.

Is it possible the "wedge" is just a bastardization of the second half of "sandwich"? I remember a year in the dorm when we tended to refer to pizza by the shortened "za".

"Hoagie" is one that have no idea about. But then, there are lots of names of things that I don't know the source of. Pasty? Calzone? Lasagna? Raviolli? Perogie? Punchke?

Pasty? Calzone? Lasagna? Raviolli? Perogie? Punchke?

Well, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th words are all Italian, the 5th derives from another language and I suspect the last does as well. I don't know what "Pasty" means in this context. (Although if we were in NC-17 I could give you a non-food explanation. :))

According to Dictionary.com the word properly has more synonyms than I thought:

hoagie

n : a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States [syn: bomber, grinder, hero, hero sandwich, hoagy, Cuban sandwich, Italian sandwich, poor boy, sub, submarine, submarine sandwich, torpedo, wedge, zep]

Here's a comment from the entry for submarine from the same site.

Regional Note: The long sandwich featuring layers of meat and cheese on a crusty Italian roll or French bread goes by a variety of names. These names are not distributed in a pattern similar to that of other regional words because their use depends on the business and marketing enterprise of the people who create the sandwiches and sell them. Submarine and sub are widespread terms, not assignable to any particular region. Many of the localized terms are clustered in the northeast United States, where the greatest numbers of Italian Americans live. In Maine, it is called an Italian sandwich, befitting its heritage. Elsewhere in New England and in Sacramento, California, it is often called a grinder. New York City knows it as a hero. In the Delaware Valley, including Philadelphia and southern New Jersey, the sandwich is called a hoagie. Speakers in Miami use the name Cuban sandwich. Along the Gulf Coast the same sandwich is often called a poor boy. In New Orleans, a poor boy is likely to be offered in a version featuring fried oysters.

All the sources I've seen agree that the basic sandwich arose in immigrant communities, mostly Italian, probably in the early 19th century. I would argue that the Cuban sandwich, while clearly related, really is a different animal these days. A Cuban is made using cuban bread, which is more of a "soda bread". lighter and with a different texture than French or Italian bread, and a true Cuban sandwhich is always squashed flat under pressure, and most commonly pressed and heated at the same time on a restaurant grill.

Regards,

Joe

So, here is Sacramento we call it a Grinder? I'll have to listen for that, 'cause until it was mentioned in this thread, I'd never heard that term before, and I've been living here almost 4 years ('course I don't get out much, LOL)

[syn: bomber, grinder, hero, hero sandwich, hoagy, Cuban sandwich, Italian sandwich, poor boy, sub, submarine, submarine sandwich, torpedo, wedge, zep]

Zep? :confused:

This thread is making me hungry... and there's a great hero place near me, but it'll be closed by the time I get home from work... damn you all. :mad:

Elsewhere in New England and in Sacramento, California, it is often called a grinder.

I lived in Sacramento the first 18 years of my life, and I never heard it called that to my recollection. Granted, though, I didn't eat out much, especially subs.

How did a Drazi thread get sidetracked onto sandwiches?
cap_solid_purple.JPG

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back