B5TV.COM. Babylon 5 forums Babylon 5 message for the fans from Claudia Christian Babylon 5
Old July 2nd 18, 18:51   #1
jumptheshark
Lurker

War without end 1+2

I am doing sort of a binge watch of the show and in watching War without end part 1 and 2 and asked myself why JMS kept Doyle and O'Hare away from being on the screen together since their relationship was so key to the first season

There was a lot stuff going on so it may have due to time restraints

but would have been nice to have them together one more time
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd 18, 19:38   #2
Looney
Ambassador

Re: War without end 1+2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I am doing sort of a binge watch of the show and in watching War without end part 1 and 2 and asked myself why JMS kept Doyle and O'Hare away from being on the screen together since their relationship was so key to the first season

There was a lot stuff going on so it may have due to time restraints

but would have been nice to have them together one more time
That is a really good question. I love the reasoning in the episode, but yeah I wonder if there was more to it. I'm sure someone out there knows.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd 18, 20:30   #3
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
Keep in mind that I *don't* know if it's true or not, okay? But there's long been a rumor that Doyle refused to work with O'Hare. My personal feeling is that there may be some truth to it because I've never seen or heard Doyle be anything but boorish when talking about O'Hare. And that was before finding out about O'Hare's illness. Afterward, I made a point of emailing an email I know was active for Doyle to make sure he knew about O'Hare's illness but never heard back.
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd 18, 23:05   #4
Jan
Psi Cop

Looks like JMS answered your question. Glad it's settled but sorry my impression of Doyle isn't improved.

Quote:
@straczynski
Following Following @straczynski
More J. Michael Straczynski Retweeted jtshark
Though I don't thing Jerry fully understood what was wrong with Michael, he knew something wasn't right and often went out of his way to get under Michael's skin just to watch him spin out. With Michael still fragile I couldn't afford to let anything go wrong with the two parterJ. Michael Straczynski added,
jtshark

@jtshark71
@straczynski silly question. I am re-watching War without end 1 and 2 and I am curious why you made the decision to keep Jerry Doyle and O'hare apart for both episodes-was based upon taking away from the plot(a lot happened) or was there other things involved?
6:50 PM - 2 Jul 2018
"You know, I used to think that life was terribly unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair? If all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe." ~~Marcus Cole
Old July 3rd 18, 12:07   #5
jumptheshark
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Looks like JMS answered your question. Glad it's settled but sorry my impression of Doyle isn't improved.

Quote:
@straczynski
Following Following @straczynski
More J. Michael Straczynski Retweeted jtshark
Though I don't thing Jerry fully understood what was wrong with Michael, he knew something wasn't right and often went out of his way to get under Michael's skin just to watch him spin out. With Michael still fragile I couldn't afford to let anything go wrong with the two parterJ. Michael Straczynski added,
jtshark

@jtshark71
@straczynski silly question. I am re-watching War without end 1 and 2 and I am curious why you made the decision to keep Jerry Doyle and O'hare apart for both episodes-was based upon taking away from the plot(a lot happened) or was there other things involved?
6:50 PM - 2 Jul 2018

One thing I love about JMS he will answer your question honestly
Old July 3rd 18, 16:25   #6
Looney
Ambassador

WOW! that is an honest story. I don't really feel I think worse of Doyle because JMS stated that he didn't think "Jerry fully understood." I think it depends on what was done and why. And I should point out that even though I never met the man while he was with us, I never thought I would have liked to know him once I started learning more about him through his public life. Doyle that is, not O'Hare. I would have LOVED to meet O'Hare. Like I've said I didn't really see Season One until the late 90s so that is when I became an O'Hare fan. I don't ever recall seeing him on a guest list at any of the Conventions I could have attended back in the late 90s, so I never met him.

All that being said I will restate that I think it is handled brilliantly in the episodes.
Looney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd 18, 16:56   #7
jumptheshark
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
WOW! that is an honest story. I don't really feel I think worse of Doyle because JMS stated that he didn't think "Jerry fully understood." I think it depends on what was done and why. And I should point out that even though I never met the man while he was with us, I never thought I would have liked to know him once I started learning more about him through his public life. Doyle that is, not O'Hare. I would have LOVED to meet O'Hare. Like I've said I didn't really see Season One until the late 90s so that is when I became an O'Hare fan. I don't ever recall seeing him on a guest list at any of the Conventions I could have attended back in the late 90s, so I never met him.

All that being said I will restate that I think it is handled brilliantly in the episodes.
happy I can add something to the community--sad it has to be this story first
Old July 3rd 18, 18:43   #8
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
WOW! that is an honest story. I don't really feel I think worse of Doyle because JMS stated that he didn't think "Jerry fully understood." I think it depends on what was done and why.
Whereas I couldn't think any worse of Doyle. While I did see him gracious to a few fans, I never saw him anything but boorish when it came to O'Hare and I saw the same boorishness with fans too often, too. Sorry to speak ill of the dead but that's simply how he was.
Old July 3rd 18, 19:00   #9
jumptheshark
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan View Post
Quote:
WOW! that is an honest story. I don't really feel I think worse of Doyle because JMS stated that he didn't think "Jerry fully understood." I think it depends on what was done and why.
Whereas I couldn't think any worse of Doyle. While I did see him gracious to a few fans, I never saw him anything but boorish when it came to O'Hare and I saw the same boorishness with fans too often, too. Sorry to speak ill of the dead but that's simply how he was.
How can I put this when it comes to understanding Doyle

1) He was a stock Broker--and there is a certain common trait amongst stock brokers in my opinon
2) He was raised in Brookly in the 60's and 70's--I got cousin's who are from Brooklyn from the same era--they sometimes do not realize when they are being nasty
3) He had a conservative upbringing(I do not mean political)--if someone looked weak--you poked them to make them tougher--some call it the John Wayne approach
Old July 3rd 18, 19:11   #10
Jan
Psi Cop

Quote:
How can I put this when it comes to understanding Doyle

1) He was a stock Broker--and there is a certain common trait amongst stock brokers in my opinon
2) He was raised in Brookly in the 60's and 70's--I got cousin's who are from Brooklyn from the same era--they sometimes do not realize when they are being nasty
3) He had a conservative upbringing(I do not mean political)--if someone looked weak--you poked them to make them tougher--some call it the John Wayne approach
I don't need or want to understand him (and note that I left his politics out of it). He was an ass.

And not just to fans and O'Hare. When it was still thought that there would be three segments in the first (only, as it turns out) Doyle was in negotiations still when the third segment was dropped. Despite him not having a contract, he went on the air and threatened to sue the production. Another ass move.