• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5's greatest hits

Re: B5\'s greatest hits

Of course, you could also say, with a few exceptions, that every minute they put on the screen was a great moment.

The thing that Vorlons are mysterious is.. like free money. I mean, it works so well thorough whole B5 arc. Nobody knows anything certain about them, and yet still THEY know everything about us... Frightening but so damn interesting at the same. Vorlons. Yes.

I must admit that I'm a bit of a sucker for Kosh scenes as well. The ones where he is seen to be a benevolent caring father figure to our charecters almost guiding them along have to be the best. In particular, G'Kars revelation is outstanding, you really get the sense that this charecter has been through hell over the last year and is no longer alone. I love the realization we get as an audience with the lines "All this time, where have you been?"
"I have always been here G'Kar" and he then flies off in all his glory. Then we also get a shot reminicent of the one described above where Kosh is standing in the doorway watching over G'Kar. What a show!

I have to admit that I reacted differently to that. To my way of thinking, Kosh manipulated G'Kar by appearing as the people who G'Kar most revered. The same way that the Vorlons manipulated the other younger races by appearing as holy or angelic beings so that we'd react favorably to them. I don't think that's guidance anymore. The fact that G'Kar was genuinely changed and went on to try to teach his people is a credit to G'Kar but not to Kosh, imo.

Jan

I have to admit that I reacted differently to that. To my way of thinking, Kosh manipulated G'Kar by appearing as the people who G'Kar most revered. The same way that the Vorlons manipulated the other younger races by appearing as holy or angelic beings so that we'd react favorably to them. I don't think that's guidance anymore. The fact that G'Kar was genuinely changed and went on to try to teach his people is a credit to G'Kar but not to Kosh, imo.

But I always wondered why Kosh even appeared to G'Kar in the first place. Before Dust to Dust there was no contact at all between the Narns and the Vorlons, and between these two in particular. Kosh even referred to both the Narns and the Centauri as "dying people" and said that they should let them pass. If he felt that way about the Narns, why would he even bother taking an interest in G'Kar?

But I always wondered why Kosh even appeared to G'Kar in the first place. Before Dust to Dust there was no contact at all between the Narns and the Vorlons, and between these two in particular. Kosh even referred to both the Narns and the Centauri as "dying people" and said that they should let them pass. If he felt that way about the Narns, why would he even bother taking an interest in G'Kar?

I'd say he was probably keeping an eye on G'Kar because of G'Kar's interest in developing telepaths. After all, the Vorlons may very well have had a hand in creating the Narn teeps as well as the human ones.

Jan

I am not ashamed to say this.

When Delenn & Sheridan say their final goodbyes.

Both Bruce and Mira were superb.
In fact, that scene is so affecting that I have only once watched it in the five years since it aired (maybe two years later, on tape)... and regretted doing so, because I am haunted by it for days. I have skipped right past that scene on tape and DVD in all the other times I watched SiL. Brilliant acting, directing, staging, and (especially) music. It is the only case in the series where they kinda went too far playing with our emotions. They came close in other scenes, like the Narn Picket's Charge and the Deathride of the Churchill.

Yes, Kosh manipulated G'Kar, but he did so for a higher cause -- and what did he teach G'Kar? Self-sacrifice, something which he was soon to carry out himself.

I saw this as an example of his compassion for the younger races, even the dying peoples. Remember he came to see Turhan, simply Turhan wanted to see a Vorlon. He didn't have to do that. He didn't have a message to give. He came because he had compassion.

I felt that Kosh manipulating people for the better was probably the closest he could come to expressing love for them. A Vorlon's way of expression. As he's dying he opens up, of course, but at that point what does he have to lose? In some ways he's already comitting himself to an unVorlon approach.

Sheridan saying "You're the brightest star in my sky" in SiL
... I didn't watched it because of my tears...

Great thread!

As for favorite moments, you can pretty much put me down for anything Andreas does, so that would be all of G'Kar's scenes. But if I had to narrow it down, I'd put as first choice the scene between Delenn and G'Kar in "Ship of Tears," where she reveals to him that the council (and more specifically, the Minbari) knew of the Shadows' return before the destruction of Narn.

"Dust to Dust" is loaded with good scenes as well. I particularly like G'Kar's weeping as he realizes how badly he's hurt Londo, how changed he is in the court scene, and also his conversation with Garibaldi when he tries to return the Book of G'Quan to G'Kar in his cell.

But really, there are so many scenes where Andreas is absolutely brilliant that it's hard to stop here!

Aisling

One bit where I had the biggest grin on my face was when Londo has Mr Morden arrested and brought before him, he urges him to get the shadows off Centari Prime, but Morden refuses and says "what are you gonna do? Blow up the island?" There is a massive pause, Londo turns around, walks calmly to his throne, and faces Morden:

"Actually...... now that you mention it...."

Absolutly blinding. Loved it.

... later in the same episode, when Vir looks up into Morden's lifeless eyes, and waves, "just like this ..."

I really liked "Whell of Fire" and "Objects in Motion" goodbyes etc. how camera panned when Sheridan and Franklin handshake. And "Objects in Rest" salute is very nicely done.

btw it's nice to know that there are Simmons fans here. Hyperion Cantos is my favorite book series. :)

Back