• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

B5 Ranked #13 on TV Guide's 25 Top Cult Shows List

Londos6

Regular
B5 Ranked #13 on TV Guide\'s 25 Top Cult Shows List

Babylon 5 (1994-1998) This space opera had it all: sinister aliens, space chicks and funny-named villains like the Narn and Vorlons. Cult-ability: A Babylon 5 feature film is reportedly under discussion, and series star Bruce Boxleitner still gets invited to conventions around the world. "I go and see dozens of people dressed like me," he says. "And [unlike my sons] not too many boys have fathers with two different sets of action figures."

Re: B5 Ranked #13 on TV Guide\'s 25 Top Cult Shows List

Space chicks and funny named aliens? What are the aliens supposed to be named? Bob, Daryl, my other brother Daryl?

Re: B5 Ranked #13 on TV Guide\'s 25 Top Cult Shows List

Could you post the whole ranking? That would be very kind
I will if I can find it on their web site. Unfortunately so far I can't, so I typed that in, reading from the magazine. I will tell you the top three- those I do remember:
1) Star Trek
2) X-Files
3) Buffy

Re: B5 Ranked #13 on TV Guide\'s 25 Top Cult Shows

Now I am finally convinced that I am going nuts - the full was on this board yesterday I am sure of it. The top 3 were as per Londos6's post - with Farscape at 4 and B5 ahead of stuff like Dr Who and The Avengers.

Unless there is another thread somewhere here about this same subject, something screwy is happening (or I am truly going nuts).

:rolleyes:

I didn't see any other thread. I posted mine last night, after having received next week's TV Guide in the mail. You are correct though, Farscape is #4. Maybe you read it elsewhere?

I'll post the list shortly. I was hoping to find the article on TV Guide's site and post a link to it, but so far no luck. Since it's next week's issue maybe they won't have it until then. :rolleyes:

1) Star Trek
2) The X-Files
3) Buffy
4) Farscape
5) Monty Python's Flying Circus
6) The Simpsons
7) The Prisoner
8) The Twilight Zone
9) Xena: Warrior Princess
10)Pee-Wee's Playhouse
11)Mystery Science Theater 3000
12)Family Guy
13)Babylon 5
14)Beauty and the Beast
15)Quantum Leap
16)My So-Called Life
17)The Avengers
18)Doctor Who
19)Dark Shadows
20)Twin Peaks
21)Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
22)H.R. Pufnstuf
23)Forever Knight
24)Absolutely Fabulous
25)Freaks and Geeks

Thanks. I've been wondering about this list and whether B5 is on it. At the TVGuide website, their posting the cover, but you can't get the article without actually buying the magazine, which I haven't gotten around to yet. Granted it's number 1 in my book, but I would have been mad if B5 hadn't been on the list at all.

Thanks again.

Unless there is another thread somewhere here about this same subject, something screwy is happening (or I am truly going nuts).

:rolleyes:
The full list appeared on the moderated newsgroup a couple of days ago. It has been a popular thread.

what I want to know is how the hell did BUFFY & FARSCAPE come in ahead of MONTY PYTHON AND BABYLON 5?

:eek:

what I want to know is how the hell did BUFFY & FARSCAPE come in ahead of MONTY PYTHON AND BABYLON 5?

That is easy. New episodes have been show within the last year.

I understand completely Buffy and Farscape... But Xena the warrior princess?! C'mon! :confused: :eek:

First of all, it always seems like these lists are compiled by a relatively small group of their staff. Matt Roush has always been a huge Farscape fan.

Secondly, I'm sure that the ferocity of the Save Farscape campaign made an impression. As I understand it, that also included sending gift baskets to places like TV Guide after sympathetic write-ups. Heck, they even sent gift baskets to the secretaries at SciFi as a "nothing against you folks" offering for them having to deal with all of the extra mail etc. If there was any element of the level of cult-ish-ness of the fans in their selection process (as opposed to just highest quality shows that qualify for cult status) then I'm sure that kind of stuff would have moved Farscape up the list.

I would question characterizing the Simpsons as a cult show. As far as I'm concerned once you have enough viewers to save a network you are no longer a cult show. Is there anyone in their twenties who can't throw out at least one quote/memory? After all Seinfeld was a cult show early on but I don't think tv gudie would label it as such now.

H R PuffNStuff? :LOL:

That was a very short-lived "childrens show" that... er... seemed to have a... er... well, let me quote what I remember of their theme song:

"H R PuffNStuff

Who's your pal when things get rough

H R PuffNStuff

You can't do a little 'cause you can't do enough".

Note the not-so-thinly-veiled drug references here. :LOL:

I think it was cancelled due to outraged parents calling in after like 8 episodes or something. :LOL:

I think it was cancelled due to outraged parents calling in after like 8 episodes or something. :LOL:

I'm not sure why it was canceled, but according to IMDb it had 17 episodes and a spinoff movie (which I had no idead was out there) that told the backstory of Jimmy first arriving on the island.

I understand completely Buffy and Farscape... But Xena the warrior princess?! C'mon! :confused: :eek:
Xena had a huge cult following --- especially with women.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back