• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

A good sign?

JMS has been very quiet this month.
In the past, these periods of silence have often precipitated news of new projects, etc.
I know jms went to NYC last weekend, but that doesn't account for his online absence for most of October.
Maybe there's really something going on behind closed doors.

Just because JMS hasn't been posting online in a while doesn't neccarily mean any thing I will when I can see and tape it or by it.

It is very likly that JMS has been too busy to post...

Not that it means he's busy with B5. I'm glad to see he's got something to do, but I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with B5.

Can anyone remember in which months are new projects pitched? And when the go a head is given?

We may still have the information for Crusade and Rangers.
:confused:

Can anyone remember in which months are new projects pitched? And when the go a head is given?

Doesn't that happen all year long? Or is it that different networks have different schedules so it just seems that way?

Either way, I don't think we have enough information to speculate on what is happening with any B5 project and knowing the past B5 approval times is not likely to help. *shrugs* I guess it can't hurt either though. ;)

Can anyone remember in which months are new projects pitched?

That depends on what kind of project, to which kind of market.

IIRC JMS's previous comments TV series projects are pitched between roughly July and October for slots on the following year's fall schedule. That gives everybody time to develop the series bible, write and shoot a pilot and get that through the vetting process while still leaving enough time to get the series into production in time to have episodes in the can by September or October.

Freelance TV writers, on the other hand, have roughly a two month window in February and March to secure all their series assignments for the entire year.

Feature films, TV movies can be on a totally different schedule, and networks or cable stations that run on "counter-programming" schedules (or which need to immediately replace failing shows) may solicit pitches at other times. And the computer gaming industry (still a possibility given JMS's "not a print project" comment and the fact that there are two things under consideration) runs on a whole different product development cycle altogether.

In any event, I don't think it makes any sense to read any meaning at all into JMS's relative absence from the news group. He has lots on his plate at the moment (including the damned fires, one would think) that has nothing to do with B5. Nor have the discussions on the mod been ones that would be too interesting or tempting for him to pass up, lately. Finally if you look at the the listings for various years on JMS News you'll see that months with single-digit post counts are not unusual and that they do not necessarily correlate with any significant new projects or deals.

Regards,

Joe

He has lots on his plate at the moment

Joe, whenever you speak about jms it reminds me of when Clark Kent speaks about Superman. Is there something you're not telling us? ;) Your knowledge of jms and his work seems pretty damn extensive.

JMS has been very quiet this month.
In the past, these periods of silence have often precipitated news of new projects, etc.

Well, that's certainly my hope. Some have brought up that periods of silence don't necessarily mean anything. That's certainly true. But what really feeds the inner fanboy is that this period of silence came after his comment on the newsgroup that B5 projects were being explored but that nothing was guaranteed. So, you know, every once in awhile, I try to pull a Delenn by lighting a candle and feeling hopeful.

I was at a science fiction convention last weekend. I was told by someone who was told directly by jms that BOTH projection are still being worked on.

I was at a science fiction convention last weekend. I was told by someone who was told directly by jms that BOTH projection are still being worked on.

Somehow, this "i have told that someone somewhere has heard from someone who knows someone and that who know someone else knows JMS told blah blah" -thing.. well. It is as reliable as nothing. :rolleyes: My point being, this kind of "information" never leads anywhere else but nowhere.

This is the kind of thing that starts rumors or gets peoples hopes up for something that may or maynot be true.Unless it comes from the horses mouth namely JMS it is all heresay.

Back