• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Doctor Who: Planet of the Dead

This year's Children In Need special is supposed to feature ALL the Doctors. The deceased ones will be covered using archive footage.

They've also announced the new companion. The actress was previously in The Fires of Pompeii.

I don't think the SciFi channel will be carrying the new eps of Dr. Who. I think they will be exclusive to BBC America. BTW, BBC America is going HD soon. Planet of the Dead is the first ep made in HD. I don't think my cable co. will add it locally until October, though...

You're kidding. Great. If I had a dime every time that station disappointed me... :rolleyes:

I'm stuck then, waiting until it comes out on dvd in region 1. Then I'll have to hope Netflix has it.

Crap. :brickwall:

Last edited:
You're kidding. Great. If I had a dime every time that station disappointed me... :rolleyes:

I'm stuck then, waiting until it comes out on dvd in region 1. Then I'll have to hope Netflix has it.

Crap. :brickwall:

Personally, I believe that Scifi will show once all the specials are done (and maybe wait until after they get Matt Smith's first season signed and show it before, like they have done with all the other Chritmas specials). I believe that at some point SyFy (They're getting close being called that,..right?) will definitely show them.

Hyp, look for a PM from me.

Possibly. Or they may purchase a show on psychic wrestling in Haunted Houses. Hard to tell. They have their incredible ups (Battlestar, for example) and their hellish downs (I forgot to mention the psychic wrestlers channel the dead, so don't miss it!)

By the way, here's the lass who will be playing the Doctor's new companion:

kg.jpg

Nice choice!

Her name's Karen Gillan.

It's impossible to tell from a photo alone. I'd love to be able to see the audition tapes of those who get picked, actually. That would be very informative. :)

It's impossible to tell from a photo alone. I'd love to be able to see the audition tapes of those who get picked, actually. That would be very informative. :)

Or you could as I mentioned before, just dig out the tape from last season's "The Fires of Pompeii".

... but yes to a certain degree I was using tried and trusted "male parameters" lol.:LOL:

However, I don't think Moffatt is liable to pick a dud. He knows his stuff.

Or you could as I mentioned before, just dig out the tape from last season's "The Fires of Pompeii".

... but yes to a certain degree I was using tried and trusted "male parameters" lol.:LOL:

However, I don't think Moffatt is liable to pick a dud. He knows his stuff.

I think it should be out on DVD at netflix. If I didn't have an overfilled rental queue already, I would do that. As it is, since it's very iffy just when/if I'll ever see the new episodes, I'll wait and see.

They've picked excellent companions and side characters so far for the new series, as far as I'm concerned, as far as it's possible to do so (gotta expect some less than inspiring actors).

Personally, I believe that Scifi will show once all the specials are done (and maybe wait until after they get Matt Smith's first season signed and show it before, like they have done with all the other Chritmas specials). I believe that at some point SyFy (They're getting close being called that,..right?) will definitely show them.

I think you are probably right, they will show them before the beginning of the next full-length series. I think there are two factors at work here. First, SyFy :rolleyes: is geared toward showing series, or movies, but not four specials. Also, with BBC America making the switch to HD, and the Dr. being about the BBC's most popular show, they may have wanted to premier the HD eps themselves.

I am partial to red-headed cuties, so I'm hoping the new companion can act as well. Guess I should dig out The Fires of Pompeii and see...

I can't recall exactly where I heard/read this (so it may not be terribly reliable), but there seemed to be some indication that BBC America had outbid Seymour Fy and would be the sole home of Doctor Who going forward. (For however long the contract runs, at least.)

I hope you're right, especially if my local Comcast adds BBC America HD to their lineup, as promised.

SyFy is still showing previous seasons of Dr. W, but I realize that would be on a different contract.

It would be nice if SyFy would make some kind of a deal with BBC Amer. But they aren't "sister" stations, so I know that's unrealistic.

Here's the new Doctor and companion in costume, caught on a location shoot:

New-Doctor-Who_1446407c.jpg

Is this from the last Tennant Special when he changes? Or from the first Matt Smith Season? is Matt Smith getting a full 13 eps? When is the Matt Smith Season supposed to air?

In the UK, not till 2010 (probably springtime).

In the US, no idea.

The three remaining Tennant specials will air November to December in the UK.

In the UK, not till 2010 (probably springtime).

In the US, no idea.

The three remaining Tennant specials will air November to December in the UK.

BBC America just played The NExt Dr a couple of weeks ago, and playing Planet of the Dead this coming Sunday, so I imagine BBC America will probably show the last Tennant specials by March/April

But, what is that pic from? Is it just a Promo, or is it on the set? If on the Set, is from the last Tennant special, introducing us to Matt Smith, or are they already filming his episodes?

BBC America just played The NExt Dr a couple of weeks ago, and playing Planet of the Dead this coming Sunday, so I imagine BBC America will probably show the last Tennant specials by March/April

But, what is that pic from? Is it just a Promo, or is it on the set? If on the Set, is from the last Tennant special, introducing us to Matt Smith, or are they already filming his episodes?

pretty sure it's a set picture from production of the full fat series.

The 2010 Matt Smith season is being shot as we type in Wales. The UK press are full of long-lense aquired spoilers regarding guest stars. All speicals with Tennant in have finished filming (a while ago).

No idea if the Tennant specials will handle regenreation. Some rumors suggest they will not, leaving it open for the Beeb to have 2 Doctors on the go at once, possibly one of them in a film (tennant probably).

The sets of the Tardis (in and out) have been redesigned to look better in HD.

Given

Just saw PotD, and liked it, it was lots of fun. I wish Michelle Ryan was staying for a while... :drool:

I liked the Tritivores - the fly guys. I wish they could have survived, but plot-wise, I think that would have been difficult. The Doctor could hardly have brought them through the portal to earth.

I should get BBC America in HD in October, so I hope it gets replayed then.

Just saw PotD, and liked it, it was lots of fun. I wish Michelle Ryan was staying for a while... :drool:

I liked the Tritivores - the fly guys. I wish they could have survived, but plot-wise, I think that would have been difficult. The Doctor could hardly have brought them through the portal to earth.

I should get BBC America in HD in October, so I hope it gets replayed then.

I enjoyed it too, in fact it was better than I was expecting it to be. The storyline premise "Bunch of people trapped on a bus in a dessert" did seem all that exciting, but, even those parts had their edge

I also liked Michelle Ryan alot, her character was very fun, and I liked the chemistry they had together (though who knows if her stage prescence might outshine Matt Smith?)

I'd definitely like to see the Tritivores more.

Back