• The new B5TV.COM is here. We've replaced our 16 year old software with flashy new XenForo install. Registration is open again. Password resets will work again. More info here.

Breaking Doctor Who News (MEGA SPOILER)

Galahad

Regular
David Tennant has confirmed he is stepping down from playing the part of the Doctor after the special episodes finish in 2010.

Tennant will appear in a Christmas special, titled The Next Doctor, before filming four more specials in January.
"They'll be the four last stories that I do," he said.
Remember me and Hyp having a discussion about the merits of a potential Afro-Caribbean playing the role?

If the bookies are on the money... it was a prophetic discussion:

o.gif
Bets on next Doctor
_45156042_923d8ccb-0c33-46cf-a4b4-6db27325edc0.jpg

Paterson Joseph - 3-1 (pictured)
David Morrisey - 5-1
James Nesbitt - 6-1
John Simm - 8-1

Source: Paddy Power

I really hope the latter two don't get the role!

o.gif

2010 ?!?!??!

So like, in two years then? Man I've never seen TV rumors/spoilers so far in advance...

Yea, we're not used to waiting that long. :LOL: But obviously it's time for David Tennant to move on, and that's cool. The Doctor isn't exactly a role-for-life, if you don't want it to be.

I am afraid I don't know anything about any of the rumored replacements, but it would be good to see a little variation in the Doctor (not to mention an acknowledgement that good actors of all shades can pull off the role quite effectively.

Will we have to wait for two years to find out who the replacement will be?

Names I've heard bandied about that I could see doing an awesome Doctor:

- Chiwetel Ejiofor
- Adrian Lester
- Russell Tovey (though that's pure hormones, the guy is hot)

Apparently, the 2008 Christmas special is entitled "The Next Doctor". I doubt that the successor to Tennant will be revealed until his final episode. So, what does this title refer to?

Contradicts a lot of what I heard earlier, in that he would leave through the 2010 series. Still, fair play to him and I hope he continues to do well in his career. His talents go beyond playing the Doctor.

Now, Paterson Joseph would be great, but Jimmy Nesbitt would be my personal favourite. For me, Russell Tovey is still too young, and I'm sure RTD's comments about him were just lust based ;P

The Xmas special is refering to a possilbe imposter, I believe. Could be wrong though. (often am)

Paterson Joseph - 3-1 (pictured)
David Morrisey - 5-1
James Nesbitt - 6-1
John Simm - 8-1

I find if funny that of four of the top people under consideration, three have been on the show (or will have been on the show) .. such a little pool it is? :LOL:

James Nesbitt would be my personal favourite, as long as he plays him more Jekyll, and less Hyde.

Wouldn't mind John Simm, but him having been the *master* can't see him becoming the Doctor.

Paterson Joseph and Chiwetel Ejiofor could be great. Would also make people wonder why the Doctor was consistenly a white English dude for 10 generations, before trying something new. Oh well, 2000 is as good an age as any to go cosmopolitan :D

Never seen Adrian Lester in anything, so can't give an opinion there.

Personally do not want to see Russell Tovey or David Morrisey, also if they're both great actors. Tovey is just too much of a boy - I could very well see him as a companion, but not as the doctor. He's what, 12? Morrisey on the other hand just radiates boring, for me.

Rumour has it Sean Pertwee has expressed an interest in "appearing in the show"... and although bookmakers haven't included him.... a large amount of fans have gone wild at the prospect.

The son becomes the father and the father, the son.

Oops... wrong mythos.

But if the slipper fits!

:LOL: I do hope that Who doesn't go weird on us.

And so I have seen some of those actors before, I just didn't know their names.

And I see no reason not to let the Doctor be black now. First of all, it could just be a possibility that could have popped up at any time, and just happened to now. Like a red-haired doctor, perhaps there just weren't veyr many of them programmed in the mix of possibilities for the Doctor. Who know? and secondly, it's like Star Trek and the sudden transformation of the Klingons' look. I understood why this was happening now (special effects just wouldn't allow it originally in the case of the Klingons, and cultural "norm" just wouldn't allow it in the case of Dr. Who). I don't think that should be allowed to hold back on possibilities for the future.

:LOL: I do hope that Who doesn't go weird on us.

And so I have seen some of those actors before, I just didn't know their names.

And I see no reason not to let the Doctor be black now. First of all, it could just be a possibility that could have popped up at any time, and just happened to now. Like a red-haired doctor, perhaps there just weren't veyr many of them programmed in the mix of possibilities for the Doctor. Who know? and secondly, it's like Star Trek and the sudden transformation of the Klingons' look. I understood why this was happening now (special effects just wouldn't allow it originally in the case of the Klingons, and cultural "norm" just wouldn't allow it in the case of Dr. Who). I don't think that should be allowed to hold back on possibilities for the future.

As long as he speaks with a British accent, I'll be happy. :p

If Pertwee is serious... I think it will be very hard indeed for Moffatt (who is possibly the ultimate Who fanboy... a fact which drove him to get into screenwriting in the first place), to resist the urge to cast him.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back